D&D General Art that exemplifies D&D to you.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I was introduced to D&D in the 3.5 era, so the dungeonpunk aesthetic that was popular at the time (and continues to be popular with Paizo products) is what most evokes the feeling of D&D to me. Characters covered with enough random trinkets and stylistic flair to make any runway show jealous.
The black and white pieces of the older eras brings to mind the OSR movement as a whole rather than D&D specifically, and the modern stuff is mostly... generic fantasy art? Good, high quality, but still generic fantasy art.
Same. Ironically, I think Pathfinder art is the art most emblematic of D&D to me, and I don’t even like Pathfinder. Although, while the art of Pathfinder to me represents the feeling of D&D as it is, the art of Drakar och Demoner encapsulates for me the feeling of D&D as I wish it was.

1586198777833.jpeg

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Funny, Flint is actually my favorite dwarf character from a D&D novel, but Regis is my favorite Halfling. The only thing I rue about the popularity of DL is the resulting popularity of Kender, which is an abomination.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Same. Ironically, I think Pathfinder art is the art most emblematic of D&D to me, and I don’t even like Pathfinder. Although, while the art of Pathfinder to me represents the feeling of D&D as it is, the art of Drakar och Demoner encapsulates for me the feeling of D&D as I wish it was.

View attachment 120573
That's gnarly. I like it.

For me, DnD as I wish it was would be moreJon Hodgson.

BeyondTheWallJonHodgson-856x1024.jpg

There are some greats in this thread, absolutely. I'm going to go with the long footer piece from the 1e DMG. It tells a story, evoking the escalating threats, from kobolds to trolls to giants to devils. It's got magic, weapons, treasure, and it shows a whole party of adventurers.

1586199386654.png

On the more modern side, I love this evocative art by the late William O'Connor (also featuring an adventuring party):

1586200052327.png

Remove ads