D&D 5E Artificer, first class since PHB. Your expectations?

Sacrosanct

Legend
As the title says, it's the first class since the PHB. With the release of the new Eberron book. Crawford talks about it here.

What are your thoughts? Expectations? Fears? things your excited about?

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I wish it were the Psion is my main existential disappointment with the Artificer.

My fears are the expectations that players are going to have around being able to play one now that they're "official". I like Eberron. I like Artificers, in Eberron. If my game isn't set in Eberron, I don't want Artificers.

I'm already dreading even having to have a discussion about it with players. I'm also averse to conflict and already scarred from a min/maxer with all the different UA Artificer versions they've tried to use.

My hope is that they have with all the different years of feedback managed to produce something that doesn't overshadow other classes (outside of the "hype" spike) in its implementation. And I look forward to digging into an Eberron game with an Artificer or as one even some day.

Vael

Legend
I'm really glad because Eberron is my favourite DnD campaign setting, so this has been a long wait for me. As for the class itself, I have mixed feelings. The turret becoming an Eldritch Cannon, and becoming small (or tiny) was a minor annoyance, someone in my playgroup pitched a Ravnica campaign, and I was all set to play a Goblin Izzet Artificer that would ride her turret to victory! But overall, I'm reasonably happy with the class and want to try one out. The main point for me is that I hope it continues to get support and new stuff.

I wish it were the Psion is my main existential disappointment with the Artificer.

Oh, agreed. Psionics has also been a long wait that I'm only slightly annoyed over.

5ekyu

Hero
Have to wait a week to see the final.

Normally it would not be added to my existing campaign. Held for next.

But since my game right now has journeyed to an Eberron-like area, I may offer them a vote on allowing it as a multi-class option as opposed to an npc-only one.

Will know more in a few weeks.

Personally, I woulda been fine without a new class at all.

gyor

Legend
I'm really glad because Eberron is my favourite DnD campaign setting, so this has been a long wait for me. As for the class itself, I have mixed feelings. The turret becoming an Eldritch Cannon, and becoming small (or tiny) was a minor annoyance, someone in my playgroup pitched a Ravnica campaign, and I was all set to play a Goblin Izzet Artificer that would ride her turret to victory! But overall, I'm reasonably happy with the class and want to try one out. The main point for me is that I hope it continues to get support and new stuff.

Oh, agreed. Psionics has also been a long wait that I'm only slightly annoyed over.

Well I think we know that the Archivist subclass is still coming somewhere, so it seems like continue support is coming.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
The ability to pull tons of potions out of my ___ and throw them at people!
Mad Libs anyone?

Seriously though, it'll be fine, I'm sure. Conflict aversion to the side, no one is going to be forced to use it, and I think it's cool that the game gets more classes. I'm still holding out hopes for some lovely Psion goodness too, and the Archivist was my personal fav from the UA, but this is a good first step. Or it will be if it isn't crap.

Sometime I have imagined an artificer subclass as runecaster, with the game mechanic of magic of incarnum, but the chakras, the body slots for soulmelds would be replaced with rune on magic item, even this being wore by allies. It wouldn't be a buffer class really, but more like adding metamagic effects.

Remove ads