Artificer UA to be released in February

I don't think there is a bunker strong enough to endure the fanbase exploding over this.

Iry

Hero
Using alchemist tools is a change up in mechanics: and why do they need completely new mechanics if a slight tweak and reflavoring does the job?
A "slight tweak and reflavoring" would be polishing up the old Artificer mechanics which were quite fun. This version is the "completely new mechanics".

Parmandur

Book-Friend
A "slight tweak and reflavoring" would be polishing up the old Artificer mechanics which were quite fun. This version is the "completely new mechanics".

Not completely new to the system though: the changes they've made are based on the feedback the last approach received.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Clerics and Druids already do that.

However, the other half-casters don't even get Cantrips to begin with, so that's new.

I just checked the PHB and D&D Beyond. Unless their is errata Clerics and Druids can only change spell 1st-9th. Not cantrips. But you are correct that I did over look this being the half caster class with cantrips at all. I updated my last post to correct this and to cover the rest of what I noticed going through the class.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I just checked the PHB and D&D Beyond. Unless their is errata Clerics and Druids can only change spell 1st-9th. Not cantrips. But you are correct that I did over look this being the half caster class with cantrips at all. I updated my last post to correct this and to cover the rest of what I noticed going through the class.

Oh, I stand corrected!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I’m a fan.

I don’t like them getting cr actions spells twice as late as wizards, and thus being less good at that spect of magic, and I think the homunculus should be separate from the alchemist, perhaps as an infusion option, but mostly I like it.

Needs twice as many spells on the list, though.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Ok.... I don't understand what this new alchemist is supposed to be doing in combat.

The old alchemist could thrown potion bombs all day long, and had other alchemical combat utility things (healing, smoke etc). Plus at level 6 he had the construct (wich I didn't like, but hey, it could fight).

Now... I don't know? What is this guy supposed to do in a fight? He could attack twice in a round at level 5, but that's probably going to be pretty underwhelming as there is nothing else to make them a good combatant (no fighting styles, rage, sneak attack...) He could use his magic, being a half caster, but that's still pretty weak compared to a full caster. The other two half casters (ranger, paladin) are powerful combatants in their own right. The Homunculus could attack, but unless I'm missing something it's not very powerful...

What am I missing here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ok.... I don't understand what this new alchemist is supposed to be doing in combat.

The old alchemist could thrown potion bombs all day long, and had other alchemical combat utility things (healing, smoke etc). Plus at level 6 he had the construct (wich I didn't like, but hey, it could fight).

Now... I don't know? What is this guy supposed to do in a fight? He could attack twice in a round at level 5, but that's probably going to be pretty underwhelming as there is nothing else to make them a good combatant (no fighting styles, rage, sneak attack...) He could use his magic, being a half caster, but that's still pretty weak compared to a full caster. The other two half casters (ranger, paladin) are powerful combatants in their own right. The Homunculus could attack, but unless I'm missing something it's not very powerful...

What am I missing here?

Gain in versatility rather than raw power. Attacking twice in one round with your magical/enhanced weapon or throwing a cantrip isn't going to out-DPR a dedicated martial or caster. However its a solid base, and combining attacking or cantrip with your pet's action is a good contribution to the party's success for the round.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

What am I missing here?

You are missing Alchemical Mastery and how it affects cantrips, and the use of the Homunculus in combat (two attacks with a magical weapon, and an attack from a Homunculus).

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
You are missing Alchemical Mastery and how it affects cantrips, and the use of the Homunculus in combat (two attacks with a magical weapon, and an attack from a Homunculus).
It still don't see how it's not a significant nerf from the first version of the alchemist, which wasn't a huge dps dealer to begin with....

Remove ads

Remove ads