D&D 5E "As a DM I don't pay all that much attention (if any) to the PCs' remaining resources." (a poll)

"As a DM I don't pay all that much attention (if any) to the PCs' remaining resources."

• True.

Votes: 72 69.2%
  • False.

Votes: 32 30.8%

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I do care about the PC's remaining resources, but for a bit of a different reason than others.

Not because I'm going to do something about it now. But as feedback for how well I am doing with encounter planning in an attrition-based game like D&D.

Individual tables can punch above or below their weight, and providing the right level of tension and threat does require customizing from the base encounter-building guidelines in the DMG. Since D&D is resource-usage bound for many classes, how the party does in a particular encounter is an incomplete metric at best.

Having additional feedback of their resource usage and reserves helps me better customize for my table.

Last edited:

I prepare encounters based on what is appropriate for any given location in the game world. I don't take into account the party composition or PC resource levels. It's up to the players to determine what resources the PCs utilize to overcome any given challenge.

Remove ads