D&D 5E "As a DM I don't pay all that much attention (if any) to the PCs' remaining resources." (a poll)

"As a DM I don't pay all that much attention (if any) to the PCs' remaining resources."

• True.

Votes: 72 69.2%
  • False.

Votes: 32 30.8%

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I do care about the PC's remaining resources, but for a bit of a different reason than others.

Not because I'm going to do something about it now. But as feedback for how well I am doing with encounter planning in an attrition-based game like D&D.

Individual tables can punch above or below their weight, and providing the right level of tension and threat does require customizing from the base encounter-building guidelines in the DMG. Since D&D is resource-usage bound for many classes, how the party does in a particular encounter is an incomplete metric at best.

Having additional feedback of their resource usage and reserves helps me better customize for my table.

Last edited:

I prepare encounters based on what is appropriate for any given location in the game world. I don't take into account the party composition or PC resource levels. It's up to the players to determine what resources the PCs utilize to overcome any given challenge.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads