• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E As a DM what spell / ability do you find most annoying?

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I can understand some of these - the ones that involve making the environment more challenging from a lighting, supplies and resting perspective. Heat Metal, I suppose based on common complaints. But the others are a bit mystifying. Why are these spells not allowed in your games? In my opinion you should be very careful in limiting options for players. They come to your game wanting to play D&D and the more you restrict the less it's actually D&D.

Feeblemind -- So far as I am aware, this is the only spell in the PHB that if you fail the save, reduces one of your ability scores to 1 (-5 modifier). I do not like that, so the spell is out.

Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound -- I can honestly say that I don't know why I banned this spell. Will retcon.

Wall of Force -- Immune to dispel magic. I can accept a 7th level force cage possessing this immunity, I cannot do so with a 5th level spell.

Otto's Irresistable Dance -- again, can't think of why I banned it. Will also retcon.

practicalm

Explorer
I forgot to mention imp familiars. I REALLY hate those. I ended up giving our parties imp an obnoxious personality just to tone it down. That thing is super powerful at low levels. In the hands of a tiefling it can see in magical darkness. Sheesh!

My party had a great time with their imp familiar. It was always shapechanged to look like a chicken. They gave him a top hat and loved to send him along to talk to people/monsters encountered. Who wouldn't talk to a chicken in a top hat?

Horwath

Legend
Monks don't exist in my home brew... not for that reason but flavor reasons. If they did they would be limited to an order that would come with heavy RP baggage. I don't like seeing out of place monks in medieval fantasy movies either...

I also don't like the double dash crap rogues can pull... 35x3 is 105 movement in one round. Was that even thought out? or was it a mistake... I made a slight correction of only allowing one dash a round. To me its consistency across all classes that matters why should guy be able to out run someone just because he is of a certain class if all stats are equal?

I have added Run bonus action:

If you take Dash action and you move only in straigth line, you can take Run as a bonus action to move addition distance equal to your speed in that straigth line. You cannot do this on difficult terrain.

This gives everyone limited "double Dash" to close distance, but still leaves rogues and monks more versatile in that department.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
All the illusion or enchantment spells that ask me to stop for a second to consider if generic Orc num.53 would consider this magical demand too risky or not, or if he's intelligent enough to investigate an illusion as a free action instead of wasting is turn.
Have a smart Wizard do the same thing to them: On the far side of a cave, Illusion up some boulders to hide behind, and snipe at Team PC from there. See if the PCs shoot the boulders "to find out if they are real."

Follow this up with an OOC discussion of how 'common sense' will be changed in a magical world - that, you know, includes Illusions. Let them know that you will be making a Ruling at the beginning of next session, so you can consider the arguments made in all directions.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads