• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E As a DM what spell / ability do you find most annoying?

Satyrn

First Post
This reminded me of a mistake I made in awarding a Weapon of Warning in a treasure trove. What a buzzkill. Yeah, had to come up with a story-appropriate way to reclaim that one from the party before it got out of hand.

I've mentioned this in a previous post, but I think this is relevant.

After I got a wand of lightning bolts (it holds 7 charges!), I had a blast spamming it in a fight . . . but then realized that if I kept it up, I would have been shocked if my DM didn't get irritated by its massive firepower, and start beefing up encounters.

So I've taken to using it sparingly. I don't mean waiting for the big fights to use it. Instead I use it when it's pretty much irrelevant. Most recently, for example, the party got surprised from behind by a group of weakling fishmen who pelted us with crossbows. I spun around an blasted them with the wand, pointing it "that way, just roughly in that direction." When they disappeared back down their hole I ran up to it and blasted another bolt down it, fully expecting not to hit anything.

I'm having fun with my wand, but danggit, it is way too strong for a level 6 group.

Monsters are meant to die.
Either by the hand of noble and brave heroes, or by cheap shot of despicable badass.
So what is really annoying is features that run the show over all others players.

I have seen as player the Warlock improved familiar with fly and invisibility to often take the show alone.
Doing Scout, negotiation, looting, robbing, and other.

Satyrn

First Post
Monsters are meant to die.
Either by the hand of noble and brave heroes, or by cheap shot of despicable badass.
So what is really annoying is features that run the show over all others players.

I have seen as player the Warlock improved familiar with fly and invisibility to often take the show alone.
Doing Scout, negotiation, looting, robbing, and other.
:hmm:

House Rule #253: No player may have a familiar unless all players have a familiar. :heh:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
All the illusion or enchantment spells that ask me to stop for a second to consider if generic Orc num.53 would consider this magical demand too risky or not, or if he's intelligent enough to investigate an illusion as a free action instead of wasting is turn. My named NPC have clear motivations so its easy to rule, but critters are harder to decide. Those spells arent that bad, but with munchkins at your tables, each casting of Minor illusion or Suggestion turns into an 1 hour argument:
Me: ''no man, you cant create a box over you that block line of sight while 5' of the enemy that just hit you in the middle of a room''
Him: ''But I'm small enough that if I crouch a little I could probably fit in a 5'x5' box, and my cloak is the same color as the box I created, and this enemy has probably never seen a mage in a box, and the enemy is probably distracted by the glittering necklace of the ranger in the back of the room, and he should waste his turn attacking the box and even if he hits, he hits the box, not me since I crouched a little, remember?''

Funny thing, if my NPCs use those spells, the same players start calling BS. :p

fil512

Explorer
I forgot to mention imp familiars. I REALLY hate those. I ended up giving our parties imp an obnoxious personality just to tone it down. That thing is super powerful at low levels. In the hands of a tiefling it can see in magical darkness. Sheesh!

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
Letsee... that would be wood elf shadow monk with the mobility feat. Just stupid at breaking combats. Why anyone thought a PC that had a speed of 60+ feet, darkvision, at-will teleports, stuns, immunity to opportunity attacks and area of effect damage and access to a version of pass without trace that makes the whole party undetectable was in any way a sensible design choice has rocks in their head.

Cheers, Al'Kelhar

Anakzar

First Post
Monks don't exist in my home brew... not for that reason but flavor reasons. If they did they would be limited to an order that would come with heavy RP baggage. I don't like seeing out of place monks in medieval fantasy movies either...

I also don't like the double dash crap rogues can pull... 35x3 is 105 movement in one round. Was that even thought out? or was it a mistake... I made a slight correction of only allowing one dash a round. To me its consistency across all classes that matters why should guy be able to out run someone just because he is of a certain class if all stats are equal?

Monks don't exist in my home brew... not for that reason but flavor reasons. If they did they would be limited to an order that would come with heavy RP baggage. I don't like seeing out of place monks in medieval fantasy movies either...

I also don't like the double dash crap rogues can pull... 35x3 is 105 movement in one round. Was that even thought out? or was it a mistake... I made a slight correction of only allowing one dash a round. To me its consistency across all classes that matters why should guy be able to out run someone just because he is of a certain class if all stats are equal?

Because they have a class feature that allows it? It works out to be about 12 miles per hour. Why should monks catch arrows and throw them back but not rogues? Why should wizards cast spells but not fighters? Because they are all abilities the classes have.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads