D&D General "As a whole, 3rd Party Products Make D&D Better." (a poll)

True or False: "As a whole, 3rd Party Products Make D&D Better."

• True.

Votes: 204 88.7%
  • False.

Votes: 26 11.3%

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
… Army with harmony
Snarf drop some learnin' on 'em

… 3PP, how can I explain it
I'll take you game by game it
To have y'all playin' I am splainin' it
3 is for Third, P is for Party- not the kind at the inn
The last P... well... that's a Product you take for a spin
It's not official from the source but you might be smitten
It's five little letters that are missin' here
H-A-S-B-R-O won't ever appear
Unofficial product 'n it seems I gotta start to explainin'
Buy it
There you go gettin all bard on us all of a sudden; again.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I would definitely have moved on from 5e at this point if it wasn’t for 3rd party products keeping me within the 5e ecosystem.

Weiley31

Legend
Thanks to 3PP, the weapon list for my 5E games now encompasses the default 5E listing+Iron Kingdom: Requiem(and future book releases from Privateer Press)+Ruins of Symbaroum: Player's Guide+Adventures in Middle-Earth 5E: Players Guide+Whatever comes from Kobold Press.

Depending on how it looks or what not, Adventures in Rokugan's weapon list may be added to it.

Without third party I would move on from 5e and D&D. Many of WotCs releases in my opinion and tastes have been substandard. Third party has ideas and adventures that I like way better and spend my money accordingly

And I have not bought a single thing that is made solely to supplement 5E. What I have bought are systems/settings that use the 5E OGL/SRD which do not require you to own/use the 5E core books. Things like Adventures in Middle-Earth and Esper Genesis.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Dungeons of Drakkenheim is significantly better than any 5e adventures I've purchased or played.

If we step away from 5e, I've also had a lot of fun with UVG, Troika! and Yoon-Suin

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I voted false... in 2e and when 3e was new even a bit into 3.5 I would have said true, but I have been burned too many times.

WotC itself shows that repeatedly they themselves have trouble following there own rules and making fun balanced content (in this case I don't even just mean balanced like a new class... but an adventure that is fun in all three listed types of play too) and as such I have had to think through each new book (it is easier with slower 5e releases) about if I will let them into my games or not... but mostly I do allow WotC stuff.

3rd parties are SO hit or miss. I often use them for inspiration, there are some companies (or people) I have learned to trust, and some that I steer clear of (no second chances) due to wildly good or bad results... but I just don't have the time to check out every 3rd party so lately I just say no... even to the ones I liked. I have 1 or 2 books from 3rd parties I will make exceptions for but all of them are 4+ years old now.

and my group generally feels the same way. Even things I would lable good and let into my campagin some of my buddies would not let me play in theres... so there is a time and money investment that could just end up failing that isn't worth it to me anymore.

If I was 20 again and had no major responsibilities and my bills were lower maybe I would feel different.
Emphasis mine.

So...true then.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Even if I never used a single third-party product in my game. Even if I only read WotC printed books and never participated in any discussion boards or consumed any non-WotC internet content and had never been directly influenced by third-party content. Third-party products make the game better. They have influence on the folks creating D&D. They expand the D&D community and keep things fresh for people who may still continue to buy WotC content even while also consuming third-party content. That helps WotC stay profitable and creating more D&D content.

But I do use third-party content. A lot of it. Even the third-party stuff that I think is "crap" still makes D&D better because a lively and competitive marketplace is necessary for the good stuff to rise to the top. Creators have to take chances, fail sometimes, and--hopefully--improve. Even if they don't, others can learn from their failures.

I don't know how anyone can answer this question as "no", unless they are reading it as "the personal use of third-party products in my game have made D&D more enjoyable for me." I find that hard to relate to, but at least I could see it being true for some people.

Remove ads