D&D (2024) Asians Represent: "Has WotC Fixed the D&D Monk?"

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Wait, what? No it's not. Not even remotely close. There is literally nothing about the bard that relates to European animism (or any regional animism). Animism, on a broad level, is the belief that spirits inhibit everything, from rocks to plants to animals to everything else. Even if you look at one of the more popular European animist beliefs, the fylgiur (Norse spirit animals), it's all about the animal spirits helping and guiding humans and the person having an intimate relationship with their animal spirit, where one affects the other. I'd posit the D&D bard is the opposite of animism, because the bard is all about people only. All of the abilities and powers are human centric. I can't think of a single bardic ability in D&D that centers around using mineral, plant, or animal spirits to help the party.
You're right, of course, but you'll be able to make an Animist Bard NOW with UA6 by taking the Primal spell list!

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Except that

A.) heavy armor isn’t actually very restrictive of movement in real life, and
B.) Any wizard can cast in heavy armor with no penalties at all as long as they’re proficient with it.

Eh, heavy armor is restrictive in the sense that it leads to overheating. Not represented in the game, but a big problem in real life.

Heavy armor is restrictive in the sense that certain athletic actions (e.g., jumping) simply cannot be done as well, because of added mass.

Heavy armor is restrictive in regards to very fine actions. E.g., metal gauntlets do prevent very fine finger movement. Typical layered armor would be a serious hindrance to a gymnast.

Sure, everyday actions are still possible. I think it depends on what you consider "restrictive".

Now, you could make a form-fitting, ultra-lightweight body suit that has the benefit of layered leather and plate, or provide magic (or other extra-ordinary abilities) that overcome any hindrances. That takes us out of the "everyday" into high magic and high fantasy.

TomB

If you are talking about a shapesifter spellcaster I guess the concept you are searching is "nagual". Even there is a Mexican Urban Fantasy RPG for adults (where the angels are hunted to be sold) with the title "Nahual".

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Eh, heavy armor is restrictive in the sense that it leads to overheating. Not represented in the game, but a big problem in real life.

Heavy armor is restrictive in the sense that certain athletic actions (e.g., jumping) simply cannot be done as well, because of added mass.

Heavy armor is restrictive in regards to very fine actions. E.g., metal gauntlets do prevent very fine finger movement. Typical layered armor would be a serious hindrance to a gymnast.

Sure, everyday actions are still possible. I think it depends on what you consider "restrictive".

Now, you could make a form-fitting, ultra-lightweight body suit that has the benefit of layered leather and plate, or provide magic (or other extra-ordinary abilities) that overcome any hindrances. That takes us out of the "everyday" into high magic and high fantasy.

TomB
Yeah, I think we agree on the ways in which armor makes athletic movement more difficult. “Restrictive” just isn’t the word I would use for it, because to me that implies a decreased range of motion. Which, armor does do a bit, but not that much. It mostly makes the movement more taxing, primarily due to overheating and secondarily due to increased weight.

MGibster

Legend
Yeah, I think we agree on the ways in which armor makes athletic movement more difficult. “Restrictive” just isn’t the word I would use for it, because to me that implies a decreased range of motion. Which, armor does do a bit, but not that much. It mostly makes the movement more taxing, primarily due to overheating and secondarily due to increased weight.
I think a lot of people don't fully appreciate just how physically taxing a fight can be. I wrestled and boxed when I was younger, and participants were unencumbered by anything more than a pair of trunks and a sexy, sexy singlet, and there were matches I won simply because my opponent got tuckered out and I didn't. You start adding armor, weapons, and then fight for your life, and it won't take long before you realize just how tiring it can be. Of course you train for it, but just putting on some armor and doing a few activities doesn't really give the full story.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think a lot of people don't fully appreciate just how physically taxing a fight can be. I wrestled and boxed when I was younger, and participants were unencumbered by anything more than a pair of trunks and a sexy, sexy singlet, and there were matches I won simply because my opponent got tuckered out and I didn't. You start adding armor, weapons, and then fight for your life, and it won't take long before you realize just how tiring it can be. Of course you train for it, but just putting on some armor and doing a few activities doesn't really give the full story.
To be clear, I’m absolutely not saying armor won’t tire you out in a fight.

Remove ads