• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Aspects of D&D that have made you fed up?

Jon_Dahl

First Post
What rules or features of D&D have made you to consider burning your books?

In my group there is a clear consensus against animal companions and familiars. "Oh no, another ******* rat!" is perhaps the best way to summarize our sentiment. The enormous and unfun zoo directed by druids, rangers, sorcerers and wizards has been always been alien to us. Eventually I created a houserule for variant classes which have no critters and this houserule has been the most popular optional houserule I have ever created.

Dioltach

Legend
I got hugely fed up with the level progression in 2E. At a certain point, around level 10-12 I believe, you need to singlehandedly defeat a dozen dragons to get enough XP to level up. And when you do, unless you're a spellcaster, there's almost no benefit whatsoever. I found that very frustrating.

As a DM, I also hate illusion spells of all kinds. The players come up with the wildest ideas and expect to fool everyone, but if an opponent ever uses an illusion there's a huge outcry with arguments that they see through it and they'd never fall for something like that. After the fact, of course, when it turns out that they've been fooled.

renau1g

First Post
Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I've never felt that passionate about my hobby where I'd want to burn books I'd paid for with hard-earned cash. If I ever got that frustrated, I'd probably just go do something else.

Now, I did find the 2e differing xp levels a bit annoying and the druid needing to defeat a higher level druid to advance was nonsensical to me.

3e's system mastery and rules bloat was another

4e's immediate actions (interrupts, reactions, etc) is the biggest in that edition that I dislike.

Crothian

First Post
The pointlessly long dungeon crawls. I've taken to doing the good points versions of dungeons by skipping the empty or useless rooms and let the players enjoy a higher volume of the good parts of the dungeons.

Remove ads