D&D 5E Assualt on Dire Wood [OOC]

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
This looks interresting: I'd like to throw my hat into the ring, 3Spd.

Right now I'm thinking maybe a nature-based Fighter/Eldritch Knight? His Mage Hands would be little spectral animals, the damage from his cantrips would come from explosively growing trees/branches. Big, tall, hugely fat under an iron breastplate and carrying a *big* ironwood branch on his shoulder (reskinned warhammer?).

How does that sound?

3SpdDragster

First Post
This looks interresting: I'd like to throw my hat into the ring, 3Spd.

Right now I'm thinking maybe a nature-based Fighter/Eldritch Knight? His Mage Hands would be little spectral animals, the damage from his cantrips would come from explosively growing trees/branches. Big, tall, hugely fat under an iron breastplate and carrying a *big* ironwood branch on his shoulder (reskinned warhammer?).

How does that sound?

Sounds great, and welcome aboard!

Kesem Raz, Human Wizard 5

ATTRIBUTES
STR: 6 (-2) ; CON: 10 (0) ; DEX: 17 (+3) ; INT: 18 (+4) ; WIS: 13 (+1) ; CHA: 16 (+3)

Initiative: +3, Speed: 30, Passive perception: 11
Hit points: 22 (4+Con mod each level) Hit dice: 5d6
Wounds: 0
XP: 800+1200

BASICS
Name: Kesem Raz,
Neutral Male Human Wizard 5
Background: Sage (Wizard’s apprentice)
AC: 15 (Armor+ Dex + Shield)

CHARACTERIZATION
Traits: There’s nothing I like more than a good mystery.
Ideal: Knowledge. The path to power and self-improvement is through knowledge. (Neutral)
Bond: I sold my soul for knowledge. I hope to do great deeds and win it back.
Flaw: Unlocking an ancient mystery is worth the price of a civilization.

SAVING THROWS:
STR: -1, DEX: +4, CON: +1, INT: +8, WIS: +5, CHA: +4

PROFICIENCY
Proficiency Bonus: +3
Armor: Light Armor (Feat).
Weapons: Daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows
Tools: None
Languages: Common, Elvish, Draconic, Gnomish
Saving Throws: Int and Wis

Proficient Skills: Arcana +7, History +7, Insight +4, Investigation +7, Persuasion +6.
Non-proficient skills: Athletics -2, Acrobatics +3, Animal Handling +1, Deception +3, Intimidation +3, Medicine +1, Nature +4, Perception +1, Perform +3, Persuasion +3, Religion +4, Sleight of Hand +3, Stealth +3, Survival +1.

RACE: Human
Variant traits: 2 ability scores, skill prof and a feat.
Size: medium
Speed: 30 feet
Feat - Lightly armored(Dex+1, prof with light armor)

CLASS
Spellcasting (Spell save DC: 15, Spell Attack +7)
Arcane Recovery - Short rest for spell slot worth 3
Arcane Tradition - Enchantment
Hypnotic Gaze: A s an action, choose one creature that you can see within 5 feet of you. If the target can see or hear you, it must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw against your wizard spell save DC or be charmed by you until the end o f your next turn. The charmed creature’s speed drops to 0, and the creature is incapacitated and visibly dazed.

4th level Feat - Keen mind. (You always know which way is north, You always know the number of hours left before the next sunrise or sunset. You can accurately recall anything you have seen or heard within the past month.)

EQUIPMENT (wealth=174gp, 200 gold worth of gems)
quarterstaff
Studded leather
a component pouch
Magnifying glass
explorer’s pack (backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.)
2 spellbooks (1 Originla and 1 copy)
A bottle of black ink, a quill, a small knife,
Common clothes, Clothes, traveler’s, a belt pouch.
4 Potion of healing, 2 Antitoxin (vial)
2 Alchemist’s fire (flask)

Magic Items:
Stone of Good Luck +1 to abilities checks and saving throws.
Eyes of charming (3 charges/day) to cast Charm person (DC 13) within 30 ft.
A broach of shielding - resistnace to force damage, immune to magic missle.

Horse, riding (Riding saddle and sadle bags) named Dando.

Wizard's Spell Book
Cantrips (4) - Friends (C), Light, Minor Illusion, Mage Hand
1st Level - 8 (cast 0/4) Charm Person, Mage Armor, Shield, Sleep, Silent Image (C), Identify (R), Comprehend Languages (R), Tasha’s Hideous Laughter (C).
2nd Level - 4 (cast 0/3) Suggestion (C), Mirror Image, Hold Person (C), Rope Trick.
3rd Level - 2 (cast 0/2) Haste (C), Lightning Bolt

Appearance: A slender and weak but agile and quick young man that knows how to manipulate and get out of trouble using words and magic. Brown short air with hazel eyes and a mustach.

Background: Kesem Studied in the academy of magical arts in Silverymoon for several years from early age to adulthood. His father's wealth financed his studies. At the age of 23, both his parents decided migrate to Watedeep and Corathir was left to take care of the business with his theater actress sister in Silverymoon. Two years ago, when his older sister was married and her new family took the reigns of the business, Kesem and his close friends began to adventure in the Nether mountains for rumors of magical artifacts and treasures. These days Kesem shifts his gaze to the High forest with a future plan to construct a wizard's cottage with his saving and investigate the secrets of the forest.

Last edited:

Hillsy7

First Post
Hi there,

Throwing in a bag of interest.....Been conjuring up an idea for a while and think this might be a decent fit. Basically, a wild-west inspired crossbow Ranger/Fighter; depending on the party make-up and can switch between either - if the party is lacking a tracker/scout then Ranger, if that's filled I can retool pretty easy to just focus more as a ranged BM fighter.

Before I write up the concept fully, just wanted to know a couple of things about the setting - I like to try and bed my characters into the environment. Just wondering about the starting situation really: Is the game starting in a Particular Town/Village? Is the situation in High Forest well documented? Is there any particular socio-political stuff going on that might affect the characters? Are you aiming for a particular tone/style?

Sorry if it seems a bit nerdy, but I love building backstory and like to get the details/flavour right.....

3SpdDragster

First Post
Hi Hillsy, character concept sounds cool. To answer some of your questions:

No particular town as the starting point, once characters are made they will be "recruited" from wherever they are. The area around the High Forest has many different major cities, environments and races. The only real thing I want from your background is some event that would draw attention.

The situation in the High Forest has been kept under wraps by the Wood Elves for the past two years. They have now decided to seek help elsewhere for people with abilities.

As for the style, it will be a bit of exploration, a bit of combat. Not much in opportunity for social characters though, it is just not that kind of game.

Feel free to have characters know each other and even collaborate on background.

Well, it looks like we have five players interested. :)

Also, I am upping the gold to 800gp for starting. It was pointed out that breastplate can be quite expensive.
Wizards can use the gold to buy extra spells for their books.

Hillsy7

First Post
Hey 3Spd,

OK - just 1 other thing then before I cement the concept:

I've been reading a lot about the issue with the Crossbow Expert Feat....basically a typical RAW vs RAI conflict....My character concept is essentially you're common and garden gunslinger, but with hand crossbows instead of colt peacemakers. Now the argument is that you cannot use two hand crossbows at once because one handed reloading is not permitted by the wording of the rules. However a single hand crossbow while holding nothing in the off hand operates mechanically exactly the same as if this was permitted. So I was wondering if you had any issues with my flavouring this so Cash Nagina (current working name - nicknamed "Cobra Cash") has a crossbow on each hip? As I said the mechanics are the same I believe - but you know....flavour and fluff n that....

....If it helps I was going to go down the Folk Hero background route which would give proficiency in some artisan's tools, so if you like I could pick something (tinker or leatherworker or alchemist) that would help the flavour of making a quick-loading system, or a bolt cartridge or something, to back it up.

All that aside then, as you've got the setting down I'd like your advice as to where Cash has laid down roots. I need a smallish settlement that might benefit from some kind of Ranger protection (Someone who'll stop wolves eating livestock, recover children kidnapped by monsters, confront bandits etc etc) So not large, but not a small farmstead deep in the forest. I'm not hugely familiar with faerun so if you just give me a location I'll work it into Cash's backstory. Cash is human, but the settlement doesn't have to be. Whatever you think is best. The high Forest setting is ideal for folding all the typical ranger stuff into a more traditional wild west character - instead of running off banditos and robbers, it's Satyrs and Goblins. Perfect!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases