Astralnauts! (full)

anonystu

J'Accuse PirateCat!
Comments:

The Story Arc is good stuff. Note there is an outstanding issue of: "How did you get from the mental asylum to the team?", but until the issue is introduced:

"Dr. Saint, why did they let you out of the asylum?"
"Wait a second, you never told us you were in an asylum?"

there's no need to figure that out.

Traits:

The edges need more story: here's what I'd relabel them as:

Edges:
Ex-Professor of Comparative Religion

Divinely Possessed: receives visions through the angel Tezdekel, unknown to him, this possession lets him travel to the Astral plane.

Connections:

Father Richard Jenkins

(someone else)

+1 edge/connection

This is using a version of the mythology in which it is possession which allows astral travel, and the degree of the possession indicates the ease of dealing with the other plane.

anonystu

J'Accuse PirateCat!
First, with 4 players, I'm locking recruitiment for the moment. If any of you plan not to play, you should let me know, but I don't feel this game improves with more than 4 players.

doghead said:
I like the idea that the bulk of spirit activity is relatively obscure in purpose. Of course, someone need to have some idea of what is going on, or inexplicable just devolves into random.

I think at this point we need to get some sort of idea on the extent of spirit activitty and its impact on the world. How different is it from the one as we know it? Matrix different? Dark Angle different? Final Fantasy different? To what extent is the ordinary citizen aware of and effected by the spirits?

I think that the messages are obscure, and the protagonists are the people with the talent and motivation to figure it out.

I think there are a lot of world continuity and logic issues that could be figured out, but there's a general principle here that you may wish to rely upon. In PTA, other people will be, occasionally, putting words and actions into your character's mouth. The overall philosophy of the game is that even if things don't work out exactly the way you want, the best thing to do is to just to roll with things and work together.

Similarly, while I'm not saying we should stop with world design, it's not terribly important: the continuity will develop itself to a large extent.

doghead said:
We should also give some consideration to the organisation or forces that have brought the party together. I think there is a distinct religious/spiritual flavour evident and I'm happy to go with that. I like a little inter-PC conflict, but would prefer some form of organisational unity. In other words, some sort of theme rather than a disperate collection of random individuals a la League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

This of course, is a much more pressing issue. If people like the religious idea, then I think someone should toss out an organization that is religiously affiliated, where the people you work for are vague, the goals are vague, and the people hired have varying degrees of belief in whatever faith the organization is. These events are undoubtedly the most important events for any religion in a very long while: I'm sure that your average shadowy and important religious group would be willing to tolerate a heathen techie if that's what gets the job done.

So character concepts: generate! Throw a bunch of loose ideas, and we can help.

anonystu

J'Accuse PirateCat!
Note, you can spend more than an edge on possession/divine inspiration/visions. It just needs to be clearer what's going on there, although it might be good to have a more human base to start with.

rule note: You can actually change your traits during your spotlight episode, or in certain other circumstances, which might make more sense for when the time is right to drop some more of your mortal connections/edges to replace them with divine ones.

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
I'd like to play, but I did not mean to snake any space out from under the people who had already contributed to the first thread. Thus, if any of them show up here, I will step aside in their favor.

However, just in case that doesn't happen. On to character concept development.

I'm considering a character whose main issue is the fact that he shouldn't be there. If the primary focus is travel into the astral planes this could just be someone who gets sucked along for the ride (lab assistant, younger sibling/relative of one of the team, random guy standing too close to the wall in the alleyway behind the secret lab, etc.). I'm not so sure how it would work if the primary focus becomes dealing with the spirits on earth. Anyways, I'm interested in a character who doesn't have the knowledge and abilities of the main team (at least not at first), but who can bring a more common touch to the show.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
hafrogman said:
I'd like to play, but I did not mean to snake any space out from under the people who had already contributed to the first thread. Thus, if any of them show up here, I will step aside in their favor.

However, just in case that doesn't happen. On to character concept development.

I'm considering a character whose main issue is the fact that he shouldn't be there. If the primary focus is travel into the astral planes this could just be someone who gets sucked along for the ride (lab assistant, younger sibling/relative of one of the team, random guy standing too close to the wall in the alleyway behind the secret lab, etc.). I'm not so sure how it would work if the primary focus becomes dealing with the spirits on earth. Anyways, I'm interested in a character who doesn't have the knowledge and abilities of the main team (at least not at first), but who can bring a more common touch to the show.

That's a great concept.

Knight Otu

First Post
I've followed this and the other thread a bit, and I must say that PTA sounds very interesting. I'll make sure to "play audience" and watch the game threads. :)

(It certainly does not seem like you're desperate for players, so I won't try to get into the cast. ;))

doghead

thotd
I really like this idea, but have been trying to trim back somewhat recently due to time crunch. I really should show a little self control and stick to my 'diet'.

So anonystu, if it's all right with you, I'll just take a lurker role.

thotd.

anonystu

J'Accuse PirateCat!
doghead said:
I really like this idea, but have been trying to trim back somewhat recently due to time crunch. I really should show a little self control and stick to my 'diet'.

So anonystu, if it's all right with you, I'll just take a lurker role.

thotd.

Sure, Imerak, you're up (I thought I had let in everybody who was on the other thread), and just to be safe, Knight Otu, you can join too.

Now, character concepts (don't worry about full-statting)!

Imerak

First Post
Yay, I'm back in! :D

In any case, I was thinking of playing a character who was basically your typical suave, skilled secret agent type character. However, he is completely inexperienced in the world of the arcane, and is unsure of the whole business. Either works for the government or, if we're using a religious/NGO background, is a mercenary who the group picked up for exzperience. Maybe a bit arrogant, or skeptical.

Remove ads