• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

At what age did you start gaming?

At what age did you start gaming?

• 1-5

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • 6-8

Votes: 69 9.3%
  • 9-10

Votes: 118 15.9%
  • 11-13

Votes: 288 38.9%
  • 14-16

Votes: 146 19.7%
  • 17-18

Votes: 41 5.5%
  • 19-21

Votes: 42 5.7%
  • 22-24

Votes: 16 2.2%
  • 25-30

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • 31-35

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 36-45

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 46+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I had the Warlord action figure in my crib!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes: 1 0.1%

The Grackle

First Post
8 yrs old in 85.

It seems to me that some people are born gamers, and as soon as they discover RPGs they're hooked- it just happens that most of us found out about D&D when we were pretty young. I remember trying to recruit lots of kids from my neighborhood or cousins, and they just weren't into it.

I vote for genetics.

~Johnny~

First Post
A couple of months ago I found out that my dad bought the Basic game when I was 5 or 6 and tried to play it with me and my brother. The first time I *remember* playing is when I was 10 or 11 and ran one-player campaigns with my best friend. As a kid, though, I spent a lot more time reading the books and creating characters than I ever did actually playing.

I bought the 3e books when they came out, but didn't really get into it until I started playing the Star Wars d20 RPG with my current best friend. Eberron brought me back into the fold.

dead said:
I have a theory that RPG gamers who love the game to death started at an early age. Early age I define as anywhere from 9 to 21.
Interesting, but the reverse is not true. Introduce RPGs to a 9-21 years and they will love the game to death. So while what you postulate may be true. Why don't all 9-21 year olds introduced to gaming remain gamers for life? Perhaps there is some other correlation which is why there are life-long gamers who start gaming after 21?

Last edited:

Talon5

First Post
How the years go by

Started gaming when I was 12. That was twenty four years ago.

Three groups (nearly a dozen and a half player/GMs).

So many different systems I can't remember them all.

Early days it was Friday night, all day Saturday, and Sunday 'til dark, with summers being as long and as often as we could.

Now its down to Saturdays for about ten hours a day- or less.

I suppose I have wasted more then a tenth of my life doing this.

Question is- would I do it all the same again? Yes- well I might tell JP to piss off a little sooner then I had :cool:

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
D&D was first published when I was 17. Bought a copy of the first printing and was hooked for life. I'm 47 now and still gaming.

Templetroll

Explorer
Well, I started when I was 24, now 49, after I had been playing for about 6 years I met my wife and a future employer at the same game of D&D. Both my wife and I are working at an online gaming company (there due to having met that guy at the game) and we try to game once a week. currently, work keeps our usual GM busy so I am starting a game for my wife and daughter. We also play by email games of various types and a couple of games in chat with various people.

I had always been an avid reader, especially interested in knights and King Arthur and that sort of thing. Another reason I was intrigued by the game was that I like archaeology and it seemed like a very exciting way to go delving into lost civilizations. :D

started when I was 10, in 1984. My dad and his friends had been playing for several years at that point and finally asked me to join. I was hooked immediately.

Bayushi Seikuro

First Post
I remember starting to game when I must have been around six or sevenish. It was one of the Best Xmas Evar... My mom bought my brother and I both the red-box D&D, the blue Expert set, and the fullon Crossbows and Catapaults toys... whee :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads