OSR At What Level Is Survivability Possible?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
5th level. That is the point IMO when you can survive most things--even if it means running away-- and can easily survive lower level monsters.
This was pretty much my thought back when I played basic and 2e, 5th level was when it felt like PCs were becoming powerful with access to 3rd level spells, warriors had good hit points and a decent Thac0 and normally at least 1 magical weapon each.

I think I early on started a houserule of getting maximum hit points at level 1 just to improve PC survivability to reach 2nd level.

I'm looking into the OSR movement to find something simple and quick to run for an online group with not a lot of time for long sessions. One player has complained that 5e requires too much looking at the sheet and it takes him out of the game. So I'm looking into Old School Essentials based on good reviews and testimonials on here.
Everyone in this group started with AD&D 2nd edition, so we're not completely spoiled by 5e character power levels. But I just cannot wrap my head around a single kobold being the statistic equal to a 1st level PC. And even "smart play" that requires a 10% hide in shadows to sneak up on them is almost a guaranteed fail.
I'm thinking that the only way B/X works is to start higher than 1st level. What level do you think the game (or OSR in general) gives the characters a fair chance to survive a battle of even weak monsters?
B/X works fine at 1st level.

There are significant differences between B/X game play and modern D&D game play.

Firstly, if you are playing B/X you should use the rules for Reactions and Morale ( I know they were called out as optional, but I consider that a mistake. They are vital to the game).

Reactions are used when you do not have a clear idea of how a monster will react to the PCs... I use it during random encounters and anytime there isn't an obvious reaction (I'm uncertain or I want to let the dice decide for me).

When you use the Reactions rule, a monster only attacks immediately on a result of 2 on a 2d6 roll. Any other result of the dice can lead to the players having some opportunity to parley, barter, bribe, or just run away. There is even a possibility of a friendly reaction. This mostly puts the choice of combat in the hands of the players and allows them to avoid unnecessary combat.

Morale is used to determine the monster's will to fight. By the book, morale is checked at the first death (PC or Monster) and when monsters are reduced to 1/2 their number. A failed Morale check will have monsters flee or surrender. If both conditions are met in the same round, there is a penalty to the morale check. So, when in combat with large numbers of humanoids, shock and awe is the tactic. You can squeak out a win by forcing a morale check, early in the combat.

Thief skills are special abilities that go beyond normal capability. They can't be compared to modern skills like Stealth or Hide and so on.

All characters can hide, but a thief can hide with nothing but shadows around them.
All characters can move stealthily, but a thief can move in complete silence.
All characters can climb, but a thief can scale a sheer surface with nothing but their hands and feet.

The situation above about sneaking up on someone is handled by the surprise rules (which is possible for any character). Move Silently is something that layers on top of that. So a thief would Move Silently and if that fails, still get a normal chance for surprise.

Combat tactics play a big part. Fight in formation and use choke points. The first rank should have high AC fighters, behind them henchmen and hirelings with spears. Minimize attacks against you while maximizing your attacks. Don't allow characters to get isolated and surrounded.

If your Magic-User has sleep or another combat mitigating spell, be decisive in its use. If you are in combat with a large number of low-level enemies, use it right away. Don't wait until your fighters have been exposed to attacks and damage.

B/X rewards XP for monsters and for gold piece value of treasure. Although the amount of XP for gold dramatically outweighs that of monster XP. You should avoid random encounters at all costs. They are not worth the risk. The focus of an adventuring party should be on finding unprotected treasure and locating monster lairs. Use tactics and deception to level the playing field against a lair. If you can avoid the monsters and steal their treasure, do it.

You aren't supposed to ever be in a fair fight with monsters. Use strategy, tactics, and whatever resources you have to stack the odds. Sleep spells, charm person, flasks of oil, formation fighting around choke points, use rations to distract unintelligent monsters, use some coin to distract intelligent ones.

The level of investment in gameplay in order to survive level 1 is what makes the game so much fun. So, I would at least run your first session at level 1 and get the experience.

If you do want to start at a higher level, I would recommend granting a set number of starting XP as opposed to a set level.

In B/X, classes are not balanced by level, but more balanced by their XP values. For example, a 2nd level Elf is not balanced with a 2nd level Fighter. I have started campaigns at 4000XP in the past. This puts most characters at level 3, with magic users and elves at level 2. At this level, they can take a hit and decide to withdrawal from combat if things go poorly... it also allows clerics to start with a spell.

Libramarian

Adventurer
Firstly, if you are playing B/X you should use the rules for Reactions and Morale ( I know they were called out as optional, but I consider that a mistake. They are vital to the game).

Reactions are used when you do not have a clear idea of how a monster will react to the PCs... I use it during random encounters and anytime there isn't an obvious reaction (I'm uncertain or I want to let the dice decide for me).

When you use the Reactions rule, a monster only attacks immediately on a result of 2 on a 2d6 roll. Any other result of the dice can lead to the players having some opportunity to parley, barter, bribe, or just run away. There is even a possibility of a friendly reaction. This mostly puts the choice of combat in the hands of the players and allows them to avoid unnecessary combat.
Immediately checking reaction for every random encounter is too kind, IMO. I do sometimes check Morale immediately for the monsters, if they're obviously far outclassed by the PCs.

If the PCs win initiative, and choose to parley, then I'll check Reaction.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases