• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

At-will class powers ruining my archetypes

Remathilis

Legend
Yes, this is pretty much how it's suppose to work. The 4e paradigm for caster is that "casters should never run out of magical effects, even though the one that don't run out are just minor effects", thus the magic missiles that you can shoot all day.

Sadrik's PoV is that all magical effects should be extra special and something you can run out of and when the wizard runs out of magical effects, he should be happy to go from caster to crossbowman or staffdude.

Basically, Sadrik's whole premise is that if it's something that is more than just simply swinging a sword at an enemy and doing some hp damage, it should be something that can run out.

Still, his system doesn't fix that. All it does is extend the recharge value from 1/6 seconds to 1/five minutes.

go back to his original post:

Sadrik said:
Class at-will powers suffer from being too at-will. The image of the wizard eventually knocking down a wall by magic missiling it endlessly escapes my believability standards. At least martial characters can theoretically dull their axe or explicitly run out of ammo with their at-will powers.

What his system does, in that regard, is change the timeframe. The wizard can still endlessly magic missile that door down; it just takes 50 times as long. He's STILL not running out of magic ju-ju in a day, he's just taking longer to get refuel it. Given enough time, He's going to magic missile that wall down, it will just take hours rather than minutes.

Currently, his system (in essence) makes PCs rely on a few key opening strikes (encounter powers) then switch to alternate ability score strikes to ping out damage. It mildly weakens melee-based strength characters (like fighters, warlords, or battle-clerics) or dex-based ranged characters (like crossbow rogues or archer rangers) and weakens everyone else. The uptick is that IF you hit with those juiced up bonus encounters, you deal more damage. The downside is that those encounters become extremely important to land and things go south in a hurry if one or more of those attacks miss.

If his group likes it, more power to them.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
In previous editions

Don't compare 4E to past versions of DnD.

When I think of an at-will magic missile, I think of how, in most other RPGs as well as in most computer games, my magical character has something on her list she can spam.

Be it 'wanding' in World of Warcraft, or casting that low rank fire-bolt in GURPS (been too many years to remember the name).

Frankly, the at-will magic missile, despite looking way too much like a WoW-Mage spamming her wand to save mana... also serves to let the character be more magical, even while being less 'arcane / mysterious'.

I was always bothered about (and here I go breaking the don't compare rule) how in past DnD, your magical characters could spend a large part of their existence without access to magic... At-will's mean a magical character is always magical.

But...

It also means no more comparing them to the sword-and-board members of the group and coming up short. Just like your fighter can spam her mace or sword... your wizard can spam her magic missile. The wizard shouldn't run out of missiles any sooner than the fighter runs out of sword swings.

You can disarm the fighter, or silence the wizard. But otherwise they both have something to spam.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
I'm not sure how these at-will powers are intended to work in 4E, but I get the impression that they are supposed to be "swords by another name."
That is correct.

If so, why couldn't you just add some extra oomph and bump them all up to "encounter" abilities, and let the characters use mundane gear and skills for their at-will actions? In 4E, it seems like "magic missile" is just another way of prounouncing "light crossbow" anyway.

It is. However, your at will powers are based on your INT as a Wizard, CHA for some Paladins, CHA for Warlocks, etc.

So, you are adding the same modifier to hit and damage with all of your at-wills that you do with your encounter and daily powers. But the game forces you to use STR with melee weapons and DEX with ranged weapons if you just pick up a weapon and attack with it. It's possible, even likely that your STR and DEX will be low if you want to hit with your spells. Which means, you have almost no chance to hit with weapons.

The easy fix to this is to simply say "All classes get to use their primary stat for all their basic attacks". But, this suggestion has been brought up and Sadrik doesn't like it as he thinks it's bad to allow classes to your their INT modifier to attack with a crossbow(Even though Artificers already do).

Simply telling everyone that they should suck it up and expect to miss most rounds in order to use bigger, more powers encounter powers doesn't work. It hinges too much of the battle on whether those encounter powers hit. And it doesn't punish Fighters in the same way it punishes Wizards.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
It is. However, your at will powers are based on your INT as a Wizard, CHA for some Paladins, CHA for Warlocks, etc.

So, you are adding the same modifier to hit and damage with all of your at-wills that you do with your encounter and daily powers. But the game forces you to use STR with melee weapons and DEX with ranged weapons if you just pick up a weapon and attack with it. It's possible, even likely that your STR and DEX will be low if you want to hit with your spells. Which means, you have almost no chance to hit with weapons.
Bleah...I don't like that at all. This sounds like it would encourage the annoying practice of isolating, optimizing, and buffing a single ability score to reap an absurd amount of benefits. But that's just a matter of personal opinion...there is nothing inherently wrong with the mechanic.

Simply telling everyone that they should suck it up and expect to miss most rounds in order to use bigger, more powers encounter powers doesn't work. It hinges too much of the battle on whether those encounter powers hit. And it doesn't punish Fighters in the same way it punishes Wizards.
I think I see the problem. Combat is what drives the mechanics, not the other way around. So if someone wanted to remove these problematic at-will powers, they would first need to change the flow of combat, and then work backwards. That's a lot of work.

I don't see why a wizard wouldn't be able to apply his Intelligence modifier to attack rolls with a crossbow, though. Who says that being able to move quickly automatically makes you an expert marksman?

That Intelligence bonus could represent a knowledge of physics and geometry, the ability to do advanced calculations in one's head to solve for things like air resistance and trajectory arcs that would improve one's chances for hitting their mark. While we are at it, we could also let it represent a measure of one's knowledge of anatomy, to know exactly where to hit a monster to inflict the most damage.

Presto. Intelligence modifier to attack and damage rolls with a crossbow. Write up a house rule stating that wizards can apply their Intelligence modifier to attack rolls made with projectile weapons, bump magic missile up to a per-encounter power (possibly with more damage), and let the good times roll.

Last edited:

Zustiur

Explorer
Not a chess player I see... :)
Does the player who has the first move not have an advantage over the player who is forced to react?

1. Melee attacks are boring.
To you.

Maybe this suits your vision of a game world, but it's a step backward for me. A rogue getting to shift a couple squares into flanking position before striking, or a Fighter using Tide of Iron to push an opponent off of a bridge and into lava, that gives players options and makes encounters more interesting.
All of which the 3E players can do also, they're just not laid in the form of powers.

2. Magic Missile is Uninspired, but no Worse than 3e
Agreed.

4e Wizards have some interesting At-Will options.
3e wizards have many options other than magic missile. Something you seem to have ignored for this post.

3. Increasing the Number of Encounter/Daily Powers won't compensate for the Lack of At-Wills.
6 * 10 damage is the same as 5 * 2 damage and 1 * 50 damage. That's what we're looking at. How to employ the 5 * 2 damage and 1 * 50 damage style to 4E's mechanics. You can do 60 damage slowly and evenly, or you can do 60 damage very slowly, but with one big spike. Same 'balance', different type/level of interest.

[/QUOTE]

This conversation isn't about the actual game. The people trying to change 4e aren't actually playing it. They just want to armchair debate how things ought to be. Which is fine. That's the perspective from which I've been engaging in this thread as well. I mean, I actually play the game, but I've been treating this thread as a gameplay-experience-free zone. Its all good fun, even if its pointless. Its the internet.
Exactly. This thread has nothing to do with 3e vs 4e, or with convincing each other to prefer one style over the other.
It's about taking a kooky idea and seeing if we can make it work.

Zustiur

Explorer
As a rough example. In 3e, a PC could be doing 1 damage a round or 100. No real way to tell. They might have decided to play a halfling with 6 Strength who attacks with a dagger for 1-2 damage per round. They might have decided to play a half-orc barbarian with Power Attack who has a +1 weapon at first level who does 46 damage on a crit. How long does a creature with 18 hitpoints and an AC of 16 last for? No way to tell. Might as well just make up numbers that looks sort of correct and see what happens.
Yep. No argument from me on that. Both methods work. They come from a different mindset, and encourage a different mindset.
In my opinion 4E encourages DMs to make up the stats of the monsters to be balanced first, and then put a description on top. On the other hand 3E and earlier editions encourage DMs to create an interesting creature, and assign stats that make sense based on that creature's features in the story, because it's impossible to make a perfectly balanced creature, so you may as well have the rules for the creature make sense instead.

Once, I had a DM who just kept increasing the hitpoints of one of the bad guys we were fighting because he felt the stats of the enemy weren't good enough. He was going to die in 2 rounds instead of the 8-10 rounds he wanted him to last. So, as the battle went on and on, everyone at the table kept complaining that they had no idea what they were doing wrong, because no matter what they did, the enemy seemed indestructible. Around round 7 or so, all of us weren't having any fun anymore. We wanted our characters to be cool and able to defeat the enemies. We'd trapped him in a corner and were just making attacks on him over and over again. It wasn't much fun.
Sounds like your DM was applying 4E principles. This creature is supposed to last for 8 rounds, so I'll ensure that happens. Regardless of the fact that killing him in 2 rounds would have been more fun.

That's where I learned a valuable lesson. People have more fun when things aren't changed. Even if something seems like it'll be better to me, I attempt to avoid it.
I think you got the lesson slightly wrong. People have more fun when things aren't changed in ways they don't understand or agree with.
Also be careful of changing things on the fly.
A similar example from my 4E group:
We just fought a small bunch of undead, and went in to our normal post-battle clean up mode. How much XP, how much treasure etc, and moved on. Starting the next battle I went to use my encounter power, but the DM disallowed it because we hadn't declared a short rest. Despite the fact we'd never had to declare one after any previous combat.
Your DM changed things mid game, the same as mine did. Both made the same mistake. Yours also made the mistake of altering the rules in a way you couldn't follow - the bad guy you fought should never have been able to have that many HP, even if he'd had it from the start of the fight instead of gaining HP as it went. Your DM ignored the mechanics of the game that you had all agreed to play by (ie the ruleset).

Regarding the Con based staff attack: [sarcasm]I hope there's going to be a feat that lets a 20 Str fighter fire his crossbow with his strength instead of Dex! Or better yet, fling Strength based magic missiles around (since that's a basic attack also). Otherwise it wouldn't be balanced [/sarcasm]

I agree, you certainly want some randomness, but it's a sliding scale. The more randomness you have, the less strategy and tactics mean and vice versa. If the best laid plans have a 50/50 chance of succeeding and the worst laid plans also have a 50/50 chance of succeeding, then it doesn't matter what your plans are.
You just described 4E. It doesn't matter how much I try to alter things as a player, I'm always going to come back to that 60% average you were talking about earlier.

Remathilis said:
What his system does, in that regard, is change the timeframe. The wizard can still endlessly magic missile that door down; it just takes 50 times as long. He's STILL not running out of magic ju-ju in a day, he's just taking longer to get refuel it. Given enough time, He's going to magic missile that wall down, it will just take hours rather than minutes.
Actually it takes the same length of time because the encounter version is intended to deal the same damage as the repeated at will version.

arcady said:
You can disarm the fighter, or silence the wizard. But otherwise they both have something to spam.
Actually... I don't think the rules cover that.
If the fighter loses his weapon he gets to punch instead. But there's no instance I can think of where the wizard can't cast magic missile, because there are no components. There are statuses which state 'take no actions', that achieves it, but otherwise... tying and gagging a wizard doesn't stop him because magic missile 'just happens'.

CleverNickName said:
That Intelligence bonus could represent a knowledge of physics and geometry, the ability to do advanced calculations in one's head to solve for things like air resistance and trajectory arcs that would improve one's chances for hitting their mark. While we are at it, we could also let it represent a measure of one's knowledge of anatomy, to know exactly where to hit a monster to inflict the most damage.
Yep. Now try to explain it using Con. I can't.

Zustiur

Explorer
Yikes I'm glad I copied the text of this one to notepad. It failed to post the first time.

WARNING. There is a lot of math in this post. I apologize for that, but this is a complicated subject that can't be analyzed easily. That's pretty much the point of my entire post. That it isn't as simple as some people are making it sound.
Understood.

You are attempting to recreate the imbalance that 4e worked so hard to fix? Well, then it's no problem at all. Just change things and don't worry about the consequences. But it seems rather strange to take the carefully balanced 4e core and purposefully remove the balance. At that point, it really is easier to run 3.5e with some house rules to make it more like 4e than it is to houserule 4e to be more like 3.5e.
I come from the school of thought that DnD doesn't require that balance to be fun, and is in fact more fun if everyone contributes at different times, rather than always being equal. Yes it's easier to stick with 3.x. Which is precisely why I'm starting a pathfinder game tonight. However, I was not the OP of this thread, to me this is more of a though experiment to identify any remaining 4E elements that might improve my 3.x games. The OP appears to actually want to run 4E with such changes as suggested so far.

It may have been play group dependent, but it was play group dependent in the same way that Fighters using weapons instead of their bare fists was play group dependent.
Not to the same scale, but I know what you're getting at. Bear in mind that I never expanded beyond the core 3 books, so a certain amount of 3.x's emphasis on magic items was ruled out that way.

But if you were already making changes to 3.5e to support this style and you didn't care about the imbalance caused then. I don't see why the solution needs to be more complicated than turning all at-wills into encounter powers and doubling their damage. Anyone with high strength or dex will hit with their attacks. No one else will except for their one encounter power per battle. Magic will become even more special because it won't be able to be used more than once per combat. Everyone will be ordinary until the higher levels.
And when those few encounter powers kick in they should be the kind of effects that turn the tide of a battle. Or so the theory goes...

Once again, this reads: "I want the game to be exactly like 3.5e". If that's the case, I'm still failing to see why 4e is the better option.
For me, yes. As above, I'm in this thread to see if we can identify;
a) a way of me actually enjoying 4E
b) any points about 4E that are worth porting back to 3.x, that I haven't already considered.

Fair enough. If you find an entire group like that who honestly doesn't like being more powerful better, then go with it. However, be careful not to project your likes and dislikes on your group. I've seen more than once when someone can just assume their group likes their way of playing more than any other simply because they've never asked them, they've never exposed them to other types of styles, or they just went with the group preference even though they were against it.
A worthy warning, and I'll try to keep that in mind.

And now you've managed to remove one of the core tenants of 4e. It shows a lack of understanding of the problems 4e was trying to correct. Now, if none of those were problems for your group, fair enough. However, that's just one more part of 4e you need to reverse to get back to 3.5. Implying that it's still easier to start with 3.5e and work forward.
Given my lack of game time in 3.x, a lack of understanding of the problems is to be expected. I haven't worn out 3.x the way other groups have. I'm still going through that '3E Rules!' phase, trying to catch up with the rest of the RPG crowd. Until I've experienced the problems that are so often lamented on these boards I'll be unable to appreciate the benefits of 4E.

In case it needs explanation, the core of 4e is created around the idea that all the players are working together in the same game, toward the same goal in the same way. In 4e, this is lowering hitpoints. Any round you are not lowering the enemies hitpoints is a round you aren't contributing meaningfully to defeating the enemies. So, in order to do interesting things, you need to be able to do damage AND something else cool. Otherwise you're back to "I make a basic attack. I hit, I do 7, go."
I understand that this is the intent. I don't happen to like it... HP were already abstract, and 4E has taken that abstraction further than I'm comfortable with.

The ultimate fun must be when you never get to use powers ever. Then they are so rare as to be the most interesting.
I know what you're driving at, and you're not far off. Holding the trump card that hardly ever comes up is something I find fun. Having it never come up, not so fun. I recognize that such a point is tricky to achieve. Compare the following:
Building a house out of lego, and building a house out of cards.
Which is more accessible? The lego.
Which is more impressive and exciting? The cards.

Keep in mind, if you are attempting to make the players more mundane, you need to remove the assumption that all commoners in 4e die in one hit without even having an AC. It was based on the idea that the PCs were heroes. In order to rebalance this, I'd suggest either giving all commoners the stats of a 1st level monster or reducing all PCs to one hitpoint so they can feel like a normal person.
I have no problem with commoners having more than 1 HP. Minions too for that matter.

Fair enough. You didn't change your calculations every round in 3.5e? Oh, right, you didn't make it over 6th level. That explains it. Not enough spells to change it all the time.
Correct on all counts.

However, I can tell you this was much worse at even medium levels in 3.5e. The average combat for my fighter tended to go like this:[snip]
Yes, I'd be only too happy to have some of that removed from 3.x. But that doesn't make me like 4E's solution.

This is a dangerous assumption. I've never seen anyone take Righteous Brand without having an 18 strength. So, +4. But, let's move on.
I was basing this on my own 4E cleric... Or we could use lance of faith with is a flat +2, not based on the clerics stats at all.

That's correct. In a group of 6 people, it gives an extra hit every 3 rounds or so. Assuming the average hit does 10 damage, your action just did 30 damage in a 9 round combat.
-10 for the fact the cleric wouldn't be hitting anyone while he casts bless (which below you also worked as an average of 10). Still at +20. The cleric has sacrificed 10 damage to generate 30, for a result of 20.
4e is balanced around an action economy.
Which is precisely what makes it so bland to play. Everything is always the same, or so similar as to make no difference.

One action gets you X benefit. That's why there's all the repeating of actions. If you want the benefit again, you need to spend more actions.
Whereas it used to be that you had to substitute an attack to do a different type of action (still focusing on buffs like bless here, we'll handle fireball some other time!!)

Compare that to a Righteous Brand that adds +4 to hit. It adds 20% more damage to one attack(essentially), meaning that it does its own damage(let's say 10) and 2 more damage on someone else's attack for a total of 12 damage for one standard action.
So, sticking with our 9 round combat as for bless, you're expecting 18 HP damage? Where as I was expecting 20 from bless? Did I follow your maths right here?

Not only that, but Bless is swingy. If nobody misses by 1 it has no effect. If Righteous Brand hits, but its bonus is useless, you still did 10 damage with the hit.
Yes, Bless is swingy, but you only need to set it off once. Because you do not need to roll to hit (every round) it will be actively providing that chance of a bonus to your allies every round. The bonus from RB & LoF are equally swingy, if not more so, because they require you to
a) select the right opponent
b) select the right companion
c) hit
d) have your companion miss by X (2 or str mod)

The other thing to consider is that Bless automatically succeeds. Which is a no no in 4e philosophy. You don't have to make an attack roll to give the bonus unless it's a daily.
It's a utility in 4e philosophy. i.e. a bonus you grant by giving up your attack. Not a daily.
Whereas Righteous Brand essentially reads: "You have a 60% chance to activate this power" simply by having an attack roll. Because of this, you need to factor that chance into the resulting damage. Which means it normally does 6 damage(60% of 10 damage), with the possibility of 8. Compare that to the 30 damage Bless did and you see how much more powerful it is.
This looks wrong again.
60% is the cleric's chance of hitting, and 10 is the average damage we were assuming from the cleric hitting.
Which translates to an average of 6 damage from the cleric each round.
Assuming from earlier that the bonus to hit works out to be 2 damage when your ally hits, it's now 60% x 2hp, or 1.33 damage.
For a total of 7.3 damage 'from the cleric'. Per ROUND.
You're comparing a RB cleric's single round vs the bless cleric's effect across 9 rounds. 1.3 is the figure to compare with the 20, except that it's 1.3 * 9, or 11.7 damage across 9 rounds. Slightly better than your 8, and 30.

Or I've completely flipped out and not understood your figures at all.

So, you are basically saying, assuming an average 10 round combat, that we Bless should be about 14 times more powerful than RB due to the number of actions it takes. That's assuming they both had an initial hit in order to do damage. If you mean that RB still gets a 60% chance to do 10 damage PLUS giving someone else a hit once every 10 rounds while Bless only gives the hit chance, then I'll use RB every round rather than Bless, which would suck.
HUH? You were just arguing that bless would be too powerful, now you're saying you'd choose RB in favour because it's more effective.

It's nearly impossible to balance these two effects. Bless has too much of a swing effect. On a good round where all 6 party members get a hit because of the Bless bonus, it does 60 points of damage in one round. Which is more than some of the highest level dailies. In a bad round it does nothing.
On many rounds with RB you achieve nothing because
a) the target is dead
b) your ally cannot act
c) your ally cannot attack the specified target
d) your ally did not roll within the margin of Str Mod -1 (the difference between str mod and the bonus from bless)
e) you missed and therefore the benefit is dropped

So every round you get to think 'dammit, my RB didn't achieve anything again'. With bless you have the satisfaction of knowing that whenever that margin of 1 AC occurs in the combat, bless will have achieved something.
You do have a point though - bless can achieve much more in that the party might all miss by one (ie hit because of bless), every round, where RB cannot have the same effect. What I'm saying is bless is more swingy in its potential damage, but no less swingy in it's potential to be a complete waste of time on any given round. We need to examine that top end of swingy further, but that's a big part of where the +1 to hit balances against the +StrMod to hit. The number of 5% chances you're talking about is statistically small.
You said 6 hits in one round, that's a chance of 0.000000015625.

The thing with RB is that you know they can use it every round. So, it's going to hit 60% of all rounds for the whole combat(if that's all they use). If it has no effect, they have another chance next round. No big deal.
The thing with bless is that once you've activated it you can go and find something more useful to do than trying to hit the same specific target as the ally you're trying to assist. Particularly when the benefit of +anything to hit is usually targeted by players towards the hardest to hit creature (boss creature for example). Making that 60% of it activating far lower.

That's one of the reasons that nearly everything in 4e requires an attack roll and why there is at-wills. It is easy to measure the average damage of a fighter against a wizard if you know their approximate chance to hit and average damage of both using at-wills. If you know their average damage, you can also figure out the hitpoints the enemy needs in order to survive the number of rounds you want them to. And you can predict this no matter what the makeup of a party is.
That I cannot argue with.

On the other hand, if one class is doing attacks that always work(like 3e magic missile), or something that has extremely swingy effect, then the calculation goes out the window. One combat might end in 2 rounds due to the party being entirely wizards and able to auto hit with their magic missiles every round. While another combat might take 20 rounds because the party is entirely clerics with spells that don't actually do damage, they only enhance each other. That was one of the problems from 3e that was fixed in 4e.
And that final point is one of those things we disagree on.
Yeah, it's far easier to figure everything out for the game designers the 4E way. Easier for the DMs too.
But variation in the length of combat due to the make up of the party? You call that a problem. I do not. I call it variety. Interest. FUN. Any number of other synonyms.
I find 4E to be dull, unexciting and tedious. Grind is the term often bandied about. It comes from the idea that combats should last for a fixed number of rounds, regardless of what the players do. It makes no difference how much effort they put into their tactics because the combat will still turn into a slug fest while they grind down the HPs of the bad guys.
Variability wasn't problem that was fixed. It was a design philosophy that was replaced with another design philosophy. 'Balance' at the cost of variety. Predictability at the cost of the excitement you get from the unexpected. Game mechanics before story.

Cadfan

First Post
In my opinion 4E encourages DMs to make up the stats of the monsters to be balanced first, and then put a description on top. On the other hand 3E and earlier editions encourage DMs to create an interesting creature, and assign stats that make sense based on that creature's features in the story, because it's impossible to make a perfectly balanced creature, so you may as well have the rules for the creature make sense instead.
Wow.

4e doesn't do what you said.

And 3e doesn't do what you said.

4e gives you arrays of balanced stats for every level of monster. It doesn't say you should start there. It just tells you things like, "If you want a monster to be a level 12 threat and hit hard, this is the damage it should have." So if your concept is, say, an ogre who has received military training and wears heavy armor, 4e would say to conceptualize what you want that monster to be, lets say a level 12 soldier, and then to use stats that make a good level 12 soldier, and then finally to add on one or two trademark abilities that will make the monster memorably ogrish and militant. You can see this design philosophy in every monster from level 1 onwards. Take a basic kobold skirmisher- its got good stats for a skirmisher that threatens level 1 or 2 pcs, its got a trademark kobold abilty (shifty), and its got a trademark skirmisher ability (bonuses with combat advantage). Bingo, you're done.

And your view on 3e is wildly off. Instead of giving you an array of expected values, 3e attempts to procedurally generate those expected values by adding together hit dice and levels like Legos. So if your concept is the aforementioned ogre with military training, it would suggest starting with an ogre, and then adding levels of fighter. Eventually, as you add levels of fighter, you will reach a CR you find appropriate, and you stop. Sometimes this worked very well. Othertimes it created three common problems. First, its a lot of work sometimes for not a lot of benefit. Had the game just told you the target values, you could have assigned them instead of procedurally generating them by advancing hit dice and class levels. Second, you could confuse the system by combining things that didn't work well together, or by adding in unpredicted extras- an ogre with 4 more levels of monstrous humanoid and a club is a very different difficulty foe from an ogre with 4 levels of fighter, magical platemail armor, and a magical shield, even though both are technically the same CR. Had the system focused more on assigning CR to the end result instead of procedurally generating an end result with a procedurally predicted CR, this wouldn't have happened. Finally, it tended to lead to most humanoid opponents being about the same, since they all used the same pc and npc classes as they advanced. That's where 4e's focus on racial trademark abilities was born- you always know you're fighting kobolds because they're shifty. You always know you're fighting hobgoblins because they shake off dehabilitating effects. That applies whether you're fighting level 1 kobolds or custom designed level 25 epic kobold ninja assassin wizards.

4e gives you a bit more of a "behind the scenes" take on monster creation. The positive side of this is that it does almost everything 3e's monster creation rules could do, except better and more. The negative side is the one thing 4e's monster creation rules can't do- create monster PCs. The other pseudo-negative is that it breaks DM's suspension of disbelief, because instead of imagining a real ogre who goes to fighter school for a while and emerges with four levels of fighter and some fancy equipment, they're delving into numbers to craft a balanced and thematic monster. I only consider that a pseudo-negative though, because I don't think DMs should have a suspension of disbelief. Its kind of like the little man behind the curtain complaining that he just doesn't find the Great Oz all that believable. Meanwhile, the system does focus reasonably well on making the monsters more believable for the players, through the aforementioned use of racial and role/class trademark abilities and the design philosophy of combat lasting long enough for these trademarks to be used.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
On the other hand 3E and earlier editions encourage DMs to create an interesting creature, and assign stats that make sense based on that creature's features in the story, because it's impossible to make a perfectly balanced creature, so you may as well have the rules for the creature make sense instead.
I completely agree. You have problems both ways. One way, a particular mechanic may be slightly off and hard to wrap your brain around it because it is designed around balance first and making sense second. It'll work fine inside the game but those who attempt to make sense of it might find it dissatisfying. The other method causes accidental TPKs, player frustration at being unable to hurt an enemy, unsatisfying encounters which go way too long or end too early, and so on.

Sounds like your DM was applying 4E principles. This creature is supposed to last for 8 rounds, so I'll ensure that happens. Regardless of the fact that killing him in 2 rounds would have been more fun.
No, the 4e principle is that the average fight should be X rounds. Monsters should be designed to survive X rounds and should be interesting to fight for that length of time. If players come work well together and come up with good ideas, they can cut the time down by 2 or 3 rounds. But there will be a minimum length so it doesn't feel too short.

The example in question shows what happens when you change one thing without considering all the factors. The reason it was boring wasn't that it lasted 8 rounds. It is because:

-We expected it to die in 1 or 2 rounds after we crit it a couple of times and did pretty stupid damage for our level. Our damage didn't matter, since he added more hitpoints than we did every round. At least if you determine a creature has 250 hitpoints and everyone decides to use their dailies in the same round, it'll die in 3 rounds. You have the power to make it shorter.
-It was a fighter and we were all fighter types. So, it was 8 rounds worth of "I attack, He attacks, I attack, He attacks". With no at-will powers, it was just rolling attack rolls with no variation.

Your DM changed things mid game, the same as mine did. Both made the same mistake. Yours also made the mistake of altering the rules in a way you couldn't follow - the bad guy you fought should never have been able to have that many HP, even if he'd had it from the start of the fight instead of gaining HP as it went. Your DM ignored the mechanics of the game that you had all agreed to play by (ie the ruleset).
No disagreement here. Not following the rules of the game you are all playing causes problems. That was the main lesson I learned. Like, not removing at-will powers from all the classes or not allowing people to short rest when they obviously have.

Regarding the Con based staff attack: [sarcasm]I hope there's going to be a feat that lets a 20 Str fighter fire his crossbow with his strength instead of Dex! Or better yet, fling Strength based magic missiles around (since that's a basic attack also). Otherwise it wouldn't be balanced [/sarcasm]
Ironically enough, I believe there IS a feat that does that. I'll have to wait for the full text, but the feat in PHB 2 lets you use a stat other than strength for basic attacks. Although, I believe it is melee attacks only.

Still, you miss the point. The goal is to have each class have their own cool thing to do that they don't suck at and fits their class. They do things other than their shtick badly. That's why the group needs to work together. Fighters do melee attacks. Of course, they aren't good at ranged weapons. That's what the Ranger is for. And he can do ranged attacks well every round, but he's unlikely to be able to also do melee attacks well. The wizard shoots magic missiles well but doesn't use weapons well.

The exact point is NOT allow Fighters to throw around STR based-magic missiles so they don't start doing the Wizard thing as well as the Wizard.

You just described 4E. It doesn't matter how much I try to alter things as a player, I'm always going to come back to that 60% average you were talking about earlier.
That's not true at all. The entire point of establishing a baseline is so that you can accurately predict the effect of going OFF of that baseline.

If you set a DC 15 skill check at first level, the average person who is not trained in the skill and has a 0 modifier to the check has a 30% chance of succeeding. With this as the baseline, you know that someone who is trained in the skill has a 55% chance of succeeding, those trained in it with a good stat have a 75% chance of succeeding and those who also take Skill Focus have a 90% chance of succeeding.

In combat the same thing applies. If the average AC of 1st level enemies is 16, then those with an 20 Strength, a +3 prof weapon and fighter bonus have a 75% chance to hit. They are better. Those who put a 14 into their Strength and use a +2 prof weapon have a 45% chance to hit. They are worse.

Contrast that to whether or not a Cleric with a 16 Strength who can cast Righteous Might and Divine Power is better than the 22 Strength Barbarian at melee combat. The answer like depends on who you ask and the exact factors at play. But normally ends up as "The Cleric is better". Possibly a LOT better.

It didn't matter what you chose, it was random. Which monster were you fighting, how did your DM plan the session? The number of random factors was so high, you didn't know if your choices made you good or bad. Against a creature with an AC of 12, you can hit every time. If a creature has a will save of -1, the cleric might be able to use his best spell without chance of failure. So why bother predicting? Just do whatever you do and see what happens. The creature might have a will save of +30 for all you know. There was no standard. Your powers might be completely useless this combat.

That's my point about randomness. Your choices don't give you a distinct advantage or disadvantage.

Actually it takes the same length of time because the encounter version is intended to deal the same damage as the repeated at will version.
True. It doesn't change much outside of combat at all, just inside.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads