ATTACK! MCDM's new rpg and removing the to-hit roll

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
No misses for melee is one of the rules I'm playing with on (the less crunchy) of my RPGs. But there's still an attack roll vs. a dodge/size. Just that at melee range the worst you can get is a graze which is still some effect. At range you can miss completely though.

I do think they are wrong in one point. Maybe two.

There is a To-Hit roll, it’s just now it’s also the damage roll. The AC being the damage threshold of the armor.

In a single swipe while simplifying mechanics they’ve made armor do BOTH make you harder to hit and soak damage.

That’s incredibly cool.

I honestly didn’t think I was going to like this video but now? Well I think y’all can tell.
Yes exactly. This is actually designing TTRPGs. Actually having ideas. Actually having some kind of vision and intention.

darjr

I crit!
Attacks this way with Into the Odd

An attacker rolls a die dictated by their weapon, and subtracts the opponent’s Armour score. Their attack causes this much Damage. Ranged weapons cannot be used in melee.
Attacks that are Impaired, such as firing through cover, or fighting while grappled, roll d4 Damage regardless
of weapon. Similarly, attacks that are Enhanced by a risky stunt or a helpless or vulnerable target roll d12 Damage.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Attacks this way with Into the Odd

An attacker rolls a die dictated by their weapon, and subtracts the opponent’s Armour score. Their attack causes this much Damage. Ranged weapons cannot be used in melee.
Attacks that are Impaired, such as firing through cover, or fighting while grappled, roll d4 Damage regardless
of weapon. Similarly, attacks that are Enhanced by a risky stunt or a helpless or vulnerable target roll d12 Damage.
Yup, reducing the damage die on what would be attack rolls with ''advantage/disadvantage'' or rolling twice and keeping the highest/lowest is a fun mechanic that would mesh well with the base idea.

Might even add it to a 5e game, Crits being explosive die.

Remove ads