• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[August] Campaign reports

talien

Community Supporter
My Story Hour is now four adventures behind and getting even further behind at this point: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=103252

In the most recent session, we introduced a new player who got along fabulously with the rest of the group. We played Death in Freeport set in the Arcanis setting.

The party pulled off what has to be their most daring mission yet...with virtually no planning. Kham, the Val psychic warrior/rogue, drank a potion of invisibility and boarded the orc ship, Bloody Vengeance. Dril, a ranger/rogue (played by the new player), kept the orcs on guard distracted. Meanwhile, Ilmare, an elven bard, got a sea chanty going with the orc captain in the local pub to keep them busy.

After rifling through a few belongings, Kham finally got to a chest. After picking the lock, he managed to retrieve the staff of defense right underneath the toes of the massive (but fortunately asleep) first mate.

Then he dropped the lid too loudly, the invisibility wore off, and Kham had to dive out through a port hole (staff first). Unbelievably, not only did he manage to pull this off...

he then turned around and donated it to the Emerald Society because it was "too hot" to hold on to!

And oh yeah, there was a bunch of other cultist plot stuff they uncovered. It ended with Kham "violating the inner sanctum" of a mad god's temple and Dril charging--and KILLING with a critical hit--a bad guy. Then Ilmare fired an arrow and killed the MAIN bad guy with a critical hit!

I couldn't make the dice more cinematic if I tried!

Man, I love Freeport. :)

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
In eris404's Victoria campaign, we just finished session 1. We're investigators for Lloyd's of London in a magical Victorian England setting, in 1888. We're currently on the trail of a stolen golden key that once belonged to John Uskglass, the Raven King (as in Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel). We've dealt with cockney street urchins, brutal half-orc (ish) types, and had a chase across the rooftops of London. I've started a story hour - check the sig if it sounds interesting.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
In Adventure Capitalists: The Age of Worms, four dwarves working for the Greysmere Covenant have decided to explore the Whispering Cairn, and now plot to sell it for large amounts of money now that they've emptied it out (although the originator of this plot, fighter/wizard/actuary Rhun Stonemason, was killed in the battle with the Wind Duke's sacred guardians). But, in order to convice the Free City's government that the public land on which the Whispering Cairn sits can be sold, they'll need lots of liquid capital. Such capital could possibly be found in the Dourstone Mine, which a ruined necromancer told them contains a cult of the Ebon Triad, a heretical group with much wealth.

In Freelance Police, my Eberron campaign, after an ugly case involving a Lyrandar heiress mysteriously in possession of a daelkyr symbiont, the Freelance Police have decided to go on vacation. This might have been a bad idea, because the planar conjunction of Long Shadows led to a yugoloth plot to provide troops to the mysterious General Secuitus on the very island where they decided to vacation.

In Planespotting, a wrong turn on the Infinite Staircase has gotten the adventurers stuck in Greyhawk, where they decide to spend the time before they can escape by hunting down a dragon, whose bones they need to build a weapon capable of destroying a dangerous artifact lost somewhere in Acheron.

Demiurge out.

Psion

Adventurer
1) FINALLY got some new blood in my group. Welcome Dinin the Geomancer! Yay!

2) The party finally heads back to their homeworld.

There is an eternal flock of demons flying over the river of worlds, and for the first time, one takes an interest in the party... a succubus that disguises herself as a cherub and makes a pass at the halfling. The druid finally wises up and casts detect evil... the gig is up.

The party approaches their world sphere, parleys with the forces of chaos. Once they get past the portal, they find out the chaos ship is following them, so they turn and take them on. The party almost lose a member for the first time in a long time -- the party fighter takes a flamestrike on the chin, fails his save, and ALMOST fails his massive damage save. In other news, the party STILL hates the ability of chaos spawn that forces you to take the worst of two rolls on all rolls against them.

Surviving that, the party finally makes it back to their home town, to determine that their employer's enemy has gained favor with the archduke, and is placing strict limits on magic. The party staves off an assassination attempt in delivering a princess to her bridegroom. And I fail to initiate a chase scene.

In the end, the party's benefactors arrange to have them explore more of the river of worlds and return trade goods. Now the good stuff starts.

Voadam

Legend
PTarty is on the Outlands tracking down a murdered dwarven guildmaster's soul stealing assassin, the party dwarven cleric fighter being tasked by the King's Hand to bring Justice to the extraplanar culprit. The rest of the party has sworn to aid him.

Their arrival was disrupted by a teratomorph chaos incursion that warped planar travel magic. Intending at first to flee for their lives but seeing a celestial bariaur tribe and a half angel half demon forlorn fight a losing battle against the massive chaos ooze they charged in to save the day.

They took up the Forlorn's offer to guide them overland to the bordertown that is their only clue and said farewell to the Bariaur caravan who offered to take them to Sigil where they could get a portal. Instead the Bariaur gifted the party with a valuable puppy arcanis watcher which the party druid promptly adopted to raise much to the chagrin of the party arcane trickster who saw gold written all over the true seeing baby guard dog.

Their travels to the border town were interrupted by the arrival of a gray (Neutral) dragon who chided the forlorn for fighting Chaos and warned that the Fountain of Newborn Souls is disturbed.

The party paladin (former evil dragon warlord) of course steps forward asking about this Fountain and offering to right any wrongs regardless of the unknown situation.

And on a distant plane the mastermind behind the murder continues with his plans for planar conquest using armies of thousands of Devils and soon to be enslaved legions of fire creatures. If only his plans can be completed without interruption.

My old campaign SH, The Celestial Empire remains three sessions behind, but its also only three sessions from the end. I'm aiming to do one to two updates a week to this SH, and hopefully by the end of September, it will be complete.

Meanwhile, our newest campaign High Seas Shenanigans has just started, with the addition of a new player into our ranks (one of the players corrupted a roomate :) ). We finished our second session yesterday, and after some tweaking of the ship combat rules, we'll be ready to once again set sail and plunder away in two weeks. The SH for this campaign just started as well, and hopefully will have an new update later tonight.

Voadam

Legend
For the one where I am a solo player, having been duped into serving the wrong side by a supremely guileful demon Bane, AGAIN, and having gotten himself captured and his items stripped Voadam managed to escape with a loincloth, his familiar, and spellbook thanks to a helpful pixie and good emergency spell prep. Voadam has gone on full Witch Hunter eldritch knight commando mode, killing one by one the enemy Warlock's catfolk pseudo awakened cat familiar high level scout, the evil preistess' undead servants, and the evil priestess, leaving just the Bane demon and the Warlock who are sharing all of Voadam's gear. The demon Bane is next on the hit list, and I'm hoping an invisible stealth approach with divination tracking and two surprise disintegrates will do him. Then I want to return the next day and strangle the warlock who can see through my invis and dispel all my spells (after spending a round or two getting through mirror images and contingency mirror image to target me).

Then the power of the Menhirs will be mine. Muwahahah!

And having settled the matter of personal honor with this old Bane enemy, I can go back to being an advisor to the emperor in his civil war and deal with that pesky oracle about my saving or destroying the rival powerful evil noble house that has been hounding me and had me outlawed for over a year.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Barsoom is winding down. Or up, depending on how you look at things.

Our heroes have recently rescued the desert prophetess Sharina al-Sharina beni Howetait, who is the only human able to translate the weird speech of the Tuthean Tarn, strange fey creatures who have turned out to be nothing at all what they appear to be.

The Tarn have "explained" (using the term very loosely) that Barsoom is managed by a set of uber-powerful mystical devices, certain of which are damaged and COULD be repaired, but which require vast numbers of human souls. Without a repair job, though, Barsoom is surely doomed.

So they hie themselves to Luc'Davarionne, where the Emperor of Hinsua sits upon the Peacock Throne. This chair it turns out is actually the command center of Barsoom, so they need to ask the Emperor very nicely if he'll let them sit in it and try to fix things.

Meanwhile, the insane goddess Ky'in, returned from her millenia-long imprisonment, leads a mind-melted army across the nations of Barsoom, seeking to come to grips with her ancient foe, the sorcerer-king of the dragons, who is slaughtering entire nations in his effort to save the world from certain doom.

And terrible SOMETHINGS have been falling from the sky, intent on making what's left of Barsoom theirs...

Five more episodes, I reckon, and seven years of gaming comes to a close.

Lotta death coming up. I can see it from here.

Remove ads