• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

August - What are you reading?

Banshee16

First Post
freyar said:
Really? The Susan Cooper books? Cool! :D One movie for all five books, or a series? Hope they don't kill the story...

I know the movie had been *optioned*, but I didn't hear anything about the movie actually being produced yet. I guess I haven't looked it up on IMDB in a while. Time flies...

That was a very cool series, and one of my favourites from childhood.

Ooooh...just saw the trailer. It's been rather modernized, from what I remember of the books.

http://www.moviecentre.net/upcomingmovies/movie_trailers.php?Pid=1929&Id=1419

Hopefully they didn't tinker with it too much. The trailer makes it seem like he's the one guy to save the world, whereas I seem to remember that in the book, he was the final born of the Old Ones (I think that's what they were called).

Time to re-read the books..

Banshee

Last edited:

KaosDevice

Explorer
I'm re-reading the Saberhagen swords and lost swords series. I've been pleasantly suprised I read them back when I was in high school (oh so long ago) and remembered liking them, and they've been just as good as I remembered. Also I've got a huge backlog of gaming stuff I need to get caught up on.

Chairman7w

First Post
I'm TRYING to work my way through "Dies the Fire" and it's a bit of a letdown. I've seen it mentioned on here many times but I'm just not feelin' it.

I'm also reading the final book in the Eberron Dreaming Dark series, and I'm loving that.

Michael Tree

First Post
I'm reading Sherman Alexie's The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven. It's bleak, depressing, hillarious, and beautiful.

Next up, The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay. I'm also tempted to reread Stardust before seeing the movie, and I just picked up William Gibson's new novel for a reading/signing he's doing in Philly this Thursday.

Tolen Mar

First Post
I've really been enjoying 'Old Man's War', even if its a bit predictable at times. So much so that I've got 'The Ghost Brigades' on deck for when I finish. I may even try to pick up the third one 'The Last Colony' after that.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I'm rereading Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series. I discovered there was a final book in the series I hadn't hard about: Diplomatic Immunity. Not as good as A Civil Campaign but entertaining none the less. She's written some fantasy, too; Curse of Chalion is my favorite book of all time, I think. I've read some Catherine Asaro, but Bujold is better.

Just read Seeker this evening. By Jack McDevitt. His "Alex Benedict" books are superb.

A while ago I read Elizabeth Moon's Speed of Dark. I had been hearing good things about it for quite a while; it's well worth looking at. But I like Elizabeth Moon's work.

Some of my other favorite books are Steven Gould's Jumper, Wildside, and Helm. Jumper has a sequel, but it's not as good. Naomi Novik's Temeraire series (beginning with His Majesty's Dragon, which is the best of the three books so far). I'm a fan of Robert J. Sawyer: Rollback and Mindscan come to mind. I discovered Novik by reading one of these threads.

Too many books to give plot summaries and such, but if someone reading this has read (and enjoyed) some of these, they might very well enjoy the others. If you are that person, please put down some of your favorites that are not on this list so I can look at them too!

(Mind you, there are lots of beloved books that I haven't listed- but these have been read recently.)

Tolen Mar

First Post
Nah, you didn't kill it, folks probably just got busy. (And due to circumstances beyond my control, I have to wait until I can get to the library for internet access.)

I've read Scalzi's first two books, enjoyed them immensely. (Old Man's War and The ghost Brigades.) I'm picking up the third one today, The last Colony. But it will have to wait as I'm currently reading through 'Odd Thomas' by Dean Koontz.

Koontz can be fun, if you're willing to not take things too seriously.

I have to remember to put in a request for Koontz' Frankenstein...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads