Awakening Apocalypse - Chapter 2: The End of the Beginning

[section]"If we're infiltrating, we'll need a vehicle that'll fit the five of us. You ponying up with the loan of a panel van, Alex?" Mac wrinkled her nose. "Somethin' tells me these hosers don't got no rig." She left off her own lack of a car.[/section]

Mosier

First Post
"Does he know we're human?" Casper asks dryly. "What is he expecting FROM us? Are we hiring him, or infiltrating?"

"He knows you're human." He glances at Heartbreak. "Well, most of you, anyway."

The crew can tell that he's uncomfortable answering the follow-up question, though. "You are to meet with him, not infiltrate his gang. To be frank, he would not tell me exactly what he wanted with a Runner team. Men like him think small though. To a gang leader, raw strength is the only goal, there is no subtlety, and every problem is solved through violence. He probably wants you to hurt one of his rivals, and he'll use you as the weapon for doing it. His gang is made of janitors, cashiers, call center wage slaves, and dental assistants who all just had the bad luck of catching UGE disease, and have nowhere else to turn. They look tough, they might even become tough in the future, but right now they're too soft for any major attacks. Which, I'm sure, is why he asked for you."

Mosier

First Post
[section]"If we're infiltrating, we'll need a vehicle that'll fit the five of us. You ponying up with the loan of a panel van, Alex?" Mac wrinkled her nose. "Somethin' tells me these hosers don't got no rig." She left off her own lack of a car.[/section]

For a brief moment, Aleksander looks almost embarrassed. Through the cartoon-Poseidon's features, he eyes Mac dubiously, as if reconsidering his faith in her.

But then the moment is gone, and he replies, "You will have a van. It is old and unfashionable, but where you're going it will fit right in. I'll deduct the cost from your share, plus ten percent."

Each of the Runners' commlinks beep as Aleksander attempts to transfer data to them. "This is what I know about Ironjaw, the Rekkers, and the trailer park they lurk in. Also, some information about councilman Wynand for your convenience. It was all pulled from public access networks, and has absolutely nothing to do with your job. I included it only to appease whatever lingering ghost of a conscience you may be holding on to, in case you had qualms about arranging his death."

There is an air of finality in this last statement. He looks expectantly at the others to make sure nobody has further questions, but the crew can all tell that he is anxious to leave.

Rubberneck

First Post
"This doesn't make any sense."

The clouds surrounding Saint seem to darken and little flashes of light can be seen in them.

"If they need us to do something like snuff out their rivals, how the Hell are they going to handle a councilman and his security detail? We are much more qualified than they are. It sounds like the goal is not to kill the councilman necessarily but to have the Orks catch the blame for the killing."

Last edited:

[section]"Okaaaay...not providing a van, then." Her lips curled upward with mischief. "Guess I'll procure one the old fashioned way." Mac waggled five fingers in emphasis.[/section]

Mosier

First Post
"This doesn't make any sense."

The clouds surrounding Saint seem to darken and little flashes of light can be seen in them.

"If they need us to do something like snuff out their rivals, how the Hell are they going to handle a councilman and his security detail? We are much more qualified than they are. It sounds like the goal is not to kill the councilman necessarily but to have the Orks catch the blame for the killing."

Aleksander replies, "You say blame. I say credit. As I said, asking 'why?' is something professionals such as us do not have the luxury of doing. I do not know our sponsor's motivations, but there are many explanations to choose from, if you must. Perhaps the person who hired us does not want the murder to look professional?"

Shayuri

First Post
"It sounds to me that what he wants is an explosion," says Casper tonelessly. "He's striking a match and throwing it into a woodpile. Maybe he has an agenda, but the most likely explanation is that he simply intends to profit from the chaos."

"Are we ready to go?"

The last sentence was addressed to the other runners.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Heartbreak

[section]
Heartbreak nods. There's no point in pressing Aleksander, in his opinion, and the others seemed to have picked up on the inconsistencies as quickly as he did. He shunts the information packet from the fixer to a secure space; he'll double-check it all later when he has the chance.

"Ready, here."

Quickly Heartbreak scans his database on Denver and finds the address of a low-class diner just outside what might be considered Rekker territory. He sends a private message to the runners: We should meet here and head to the Shady Nook trailer park as a group.

[/section]

Rubberneck

First Post
"Let's do our homework and meet up either later or tomorrow. Where we meeting?"

He swipes the file up to the wall in front of him for later, and waits for responses from the others.

[section]Mac nodded at Alexandre. She waited until he left, turned to Heartbreak. "We can't go anywhere as a group. Unless you lot have transport that will hold five?" She waited for someone in the group to confirm her suspicion. "If not, I'll need to boost one." [/section]

Remove ads