• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Babylon 5: Outrageous Fortune

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Sarhat actually smirks at Kevin's comment and answers in minbari. "To be precise, it didn't work too well for your people. And this time, I'm actually doing it for a threat."

Seeing the Drazi threatening them he turns to Ash. "I think your plan was good enough, shall we do that?"

Shayuri

First Post
"Zakind, please standby for a moment. I will convey your generous offer to the captain," Ash replied...then clicked the comm off and looked at the others.

"Suggestions? One option is just to give him the cargo. I mean...it was only a cover story to start with."

(Doc, what's the tactical situation? Are they between us and the jumpgate? Do we have any info on their ship's capabilities? Can telepathy be used via indirect observation, like a video communication signal?)

Dr Simon

Explorer
OOC:

Zakind's ship is behind, about 30 degrees to port and 30 degrees above, relative. In theory, you could run before them and get to the jumpgate first.

Assuming this is pretty much a standard Sunhawk, their weapons are only close range, the same as yours. However, Fortune has but a single particle beam (turret mounted, so usable in any arc) which will barely tickle the armour of a Sunhawk. However, the Minbari jamming suite ought to prevent them from getting a sensor lock and thus make it much harder for them to target you.

Telepathy can't be used via a direct link.

Dr Simon

Explorer
OOC: You do have the cargo, roughly 20,000 credits worth of Q-40. It was a cover story, but the deal was real as the ISA can always use more Q40.

Shayuri

First Post
"The other option," she prods, "Is to make a run for it. With the jamming suite on we have a good chance of it, I think. It'd be nice to keep our ace in the hole in the hole a bit longer...but lets face it, this is a pretty isolated event in the middle of nowhere. Probably won't spread far."

"Personally, I think we should make a run for it. I hate caving in...and there's nothing to stop him from taking the cargo and then still killing us."

Blackrat

"I agree. Let us run. If he catches us within range, we will use the jammer."

With that said, Sarhat pushes a few buttons and hits the thrust, trying to outrun the Sunhawk to the gate.

"Kevin, be ready with the gun. Ashley, keep an eye on the sensors and be ready to engage the jammer when they get too close."

Dr Simon

Explorer
The trick in evading your enemy, as Sarhat has been taught, is to ramp up to full thrust gradually, so that it only becomes apparent that you are trying to escape once it becomes too late for your enemy to act.

Estimated time to reach the jump gate, about 10 minutes, and these creep by as the Fortune gradually edges away from the Sunhawk. Even Raive looke nervous, although he tries to hide it.

"Hey, listen. You people get me killed, I'm going to be seriously pissed, yeah?" he says.

The Sunhawk has spotted the ruse as you slip out of sensor range. Gunning her engines, Zakind's ship edges in closer, moving back into sensor range, closing in gradually. Sarhat goes all out, maximising thrust for the Fortune, but the Sunhawk, a military vessel, is the faster ship. With the jump gate almost in range, the Sunhawk begins locking its weapons onto the Fortune.

Ashley switches on the Minbari stealth computer. Sarhat engages the jump gate sequence. The Sunhawk manages to get weapon lock. As the blue vortex into hyperspace spirals into life before you, the Sunhawk launches a barrage of particle weapons - beams, blasters and cutters. All miss, as the Fortune drops down the tunnel into hyperspace and the jump point closes behind it.

A few nervous minutes pass until it becomes apparent that Zakind isn't going to follow you through the jump gate.

Somehow, you have managed to escape the Lison system with your hides intact.

[SBLOCK=OOC]
Okay, I figured six space combat rounds to the jump gate, first of opposing Operations (pilot) rolls to get away.

Round 1 : Sarhat 25, Zakind 13. Pull out of sensor range.
Round 2L Sarhat 23, Zakind 11. Pull further ahead.
Round 3: Sarhat 16, Zakind 18. Sunhawk closes.
Round 4: Sarhat 12, Zakind 26. Back to sensor range.
Round 5: Sarhat 13, Zakind 26. Close to long range.
Sunhawk also tries to lock weapons on target. DC with Minbari suite engaged is 22, which is exactly what they got. Any attacks gain targeting computer bonus.
Final round (at the jump gate): Sarhat 14, Zakind 18. Sunhawk closes to Close range.
Sarhat activates jump gate (Systems Operation DC 5).
Sunhawk fires all weapons against a Defence Value of 22. All three attacks miss.

So, there doesn't seem to be sign of any further pursuit. I'll give you a chance for any reaction posts, and if there's anything else you want to do bfore heading to the rendezvous point, then I'll post a denouement for this adventure in a few days time.
[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Ashley checks the scanners for a second, but when she's satisfied the ship won't be following them into jumpspace, she relaxes into her chair...almost to the point of sliding out.

"That was as close as I ever want to get," she mutters. "When they locked on through the jammer, I thought we were finished."

She gives Sarhat a weak, tired smile. "That was some pretty amazing flying there. Saved all our skins."

Blackrat

"I'm amazed this human vessel was capable of following my reflexes but thank you." Sarhat replies to Ash.

He relaxes as he sets the ship to follow the beacon to Abbai. For the first time since the fight Sarhat actually grimaces. "Now that we're on our way, would you take a look at my shoulder?" He says to Vurk and points at the cindered hole in his jacket that show the ppg burn.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads