D&D General Back-Learning to 3.5e

Here is an example of one attack from pathfinder 1e, from a previous post:

"
So this is a pathfinder example, but I know that it would be near identical in 3.5. My character wants to attack a foe. Should be simple right?

Well, my character is an alchemist, so his BAB is +5, +2 for dex, +1 for the train firebug feat and +1 for the feat throw anything, for a total of +9, and it's vs touch AC. This is a slightly complicated calculation, but you only have to do it once per level, so it's good right? weeeeeeelllllll

I have drunk the mutagen, which gives me +4 to dex, which means +2 to hit. I've also cast reduce, which increases my attack by 1 and gives me 2 more dex so another +1. The foe is 25 feet away so point-blank shot kicks in, giving me another +1, BUT there is a -2 range penalty. The bard is signing that's +5 right? (our bards is *awesome) - nope the bard is more than 30 feet away from me, reducing the bonus to +3. I'm also firing into melee (-4) and there is some cover (-2) so that's not great... but wait I'm hasted by the sorcerer, so I get another +1! So now it 9 +4 +1 +1 +1 -2 +3 -4 -2 + 1= +12 (... I think).

And this will change every round - did I take just take dex damage, or been hit by a debuff? did range changes, is cover less (or more), did a buffing spell expire, the bard stopped signing, etc etc etc.

(this is not a fictional example. This is how our game goes, and this is my character).

I roll poorly - a 3 - and I hit touch AC 15. Does this hit, I ask the GM? Easy question right?

But no, we're not done - the monster's AC may be changing every round!!! The monster may have cast some protective spells - which may or may not apply, and and may or may not have been dispelled by the party. Furthermore, other players may have put a number of debuffs on the foe, some which stack and some which do not.
All this work for a single attack...

Edit: I'm not saying that this is "wrong". Some people enjoy this kind of crunch and mental gymnastics. But as I grow older, it's not so much fun anymore. I can handle it just fine, but it slows the game down, combat takes much more time than other games (you should see troika!) and it's difficult for a number of players. I didn't know until a few years ago how difficult for some people this kind of math is."

I've been accused of "exaggerating" but no, this is from a real session, and this happens frequently. If this seems awful to you, stay away from PF and 3.5! On the other hand, if you thought it was fascinating... it may be the game for you :)

If you stick to the core rules it takes a while until you get to that point.

Art Waring

halozix.com
@Voadam @Art Waring
Interesting, thanks for the explanation.

I'll have to take you on your word that it reduces prep. I'm thinking with all those restrictions I'd be spending even more time balancing encounters correctly.
Well, I can understand how it seems that way, but trust me, when your players can't break every encounter with a single spell, when they actually have to work together as a team, you will start seeing your players have more fun.

Also it should be easier, not harder to balance encounters, because under 6th level the PC's aren't yet god-like, like at higher levels. They are very limited in capability, no extra attacks, no overpowered spells, and much more down to earth.

Voadam

Legend
@Voadam @Art Waring
Interesting, thanks for the explanation.

I'll have to take you on your word that it reduces prep. I'm thinking with all those restrictions I'd be spending even more time balancing encounters correctly.
High level prep can be more intensive just because monsters can have more moving parts to consider, and if you are custom making NPCs or monsters (adding on class levels, templates, advancing HD) it takes longer with more add on effects to consider.

3e gives a DM tons of monster customization options that can be very fiddly that affect stat blocks in multiple dimensions and if you follow the guidelines it can be time consuming to get to the final stat block for use. Adding levels for instance you have the full character class aspects, every 4 HD or levels you bump up a stat which has many system follow on adjustments, NPC levels means level appropriate gear budget to spend on a lot of stuff that can affect the different numbers of a stat block, adding NPC levels by the guidelines means higher and varied NPC level base stats instead of stock base ones, etc.

This can be very satisfying in crafting specific opponents tuned in different ways for unique different opponents and experiences. Alternatively it can be frustrating to spend a lot of time on stuff for single encounters who might be one-shotted or potentially never actually come up in a game if the PCs go in different directions than expected.

High level prep using existing NPCs and monster stat blocks straight out of books can be done too. This is much quicker. Something like running Red Hand of Doom with all the stat blocks done out and tuned to the plot you are mostly focusing on the adventure plot itself in your prep.

Jahydin

Hero
High level prep can be more intensive just because monsters can have more moving parts to consider, and if you are custom making NPCs or monsters (adding on class levels, templates, advancing HD) it takes longer with more add on effects to consider.

3e gives a DM tons of monster customization options that can be very fiddly that affect stat blocks in multiple dimensions and if you follow the guidelines it can be time consuming to get to the final stat block for use. Adding levels for instance you have the full character class aspects, every 4 HD or levels you bump up a stat which has many system follow on adjustments, NPC levels means level appropriate gear budget to spend on a lot of stuff that can affect the different numbers of a stat block, adding NPC levels by the guidelines means higher and varied NPC level base stats instead of stock base ones, etc.
I've ran a few 3E campaigns to completion (level 15 or so) and everything you've said is spot on. It's been awhile, but now that I'm thinking about it, I was completely burned out by the end thanks to the 3 page monster stat blocks I had to study and plan strategies around.

I don't really play that version anymore, but maybe something I might do with 5E when forced to play again...

I'm pretty happy with PF2e/LevelUp at the moment though.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a good Xbox or PC game, and good for learning Pathfinder 1, which is close to 3.5e.

Temple of Elemental Evil is a 3e PC game you can still find from GOG (Good Old Games) with lots of mods. 3e is closer to 3.5e.

Both games are fun.

it should be easier, not harder to balance encounters, because under 6th level the PC's aren't yet god-like, like at higher levels. They are very limited in capability, no extra attacks, no overpowered spells, and much more down to earth.
I get your goal with this, but I think 3.5e Core Rules (no Alchemist class, for instance) works “fine” through at least 9th level. Maybe doubling XP to level up above 6th would be simpler?

No need to play supers at 15th level, etc., I agree, and precious few decent adventures at high levels. For AD&D, we always figured around 9th level is time to settle down, and I figure that’s reasonable in 3.5e too. If you look at Greyhawk - the original AD&D 1e setting and 3e default - above 9th level is rare talent.

High level prep using existing NPCs and monster stat blocks straight out of books can be done too.
That’s my approach. I find monsters that are Advanced and Templated and so on just not worth it.

The flexibility to design NPC’s of wide variety, though, is an awesome feature of 3.x.

Zardnaar

Legend
They make it easier to run as a GM, because you don't have to do as much prep work for one. Back in 3e/PF 1e, the estimated prep time was 3-4 hours per hour of gameplay depending on how much you intend to prep to run a game and depending on the average PC level.

Capping the players at 6th level, but allowing for further alternatives to character progression allows for keeping the game within the "sweet spot," where the rules line up better, and run better across the board.

Part of it is about making the game easier for the GM (which helps a lot), and part of it is about playing more down to earth characters (or gritty if you will), and seeing just how far you can push them.
I got good at it and one hour of prep equaled about an hour of play.

Until you put a vampire template on a rogue then it's fml.

Art Waring

halozix.com
I get your goal with this, but I think 3.5e Core Rules (no Alchemist class, for instance) works “fine” through at least 9th level. Maybe doubling XP to level up above 6th would be simpler?

No need to play supers at 15th level, etc., I agree, and precious few decent adventures at high levels. For AD&D, we always figured around 9th level is time to settle down, and I figure that’s reasonable in 3.5e too. If you look at Greyhawk - the original AD&D 1e setting and 3e default - above 9th level is rare talent.
Absolutely, whatever works for your table. E6 should theoretically be easier on new GM's, but either way works.

Art Waring

halozix.com
I got good at it and one hour of prep equaled about an hour of play.

Until you put a vampire template on a rogue then it's fml.
Excellent on the prep time. I still tend to overdo prep ahead of a campaign, but that saves me a lot of time later, as in between games it takes about an hour to half an hour to prep a single game of 3.5, these days anyway.

Oh yeah, that vampire template never worked for me, i had to make my own.

Remove ads