Backgrounds and Preferred Classes

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Skyborn Leaper
You grew up at high altitude on a snow-capped peak, becoming hardy and agile.
Prerequisites: 1st-level only, must be from Skytop Village, dex 13+.
Benefits: Climbing, jumping, and rope use are always class skills for you. You receive a +1 bonus on Fortitude saves and may change your preferred class to Ranger or Druid. Once you choose a preferred class you cannot change it again.

Valoran Intelligentsia

You were raised among the intellectual elite of Valora.
Prerequisites: 1st-level only, must be from the city of Valora, int 13+, literacy.
Benefits: diplomacy, knowledge (any), and perform (any) are always class skills for you. You gain one extra language and 2 extra skill points. You can change your preferred class to Wizard or Bard. Once you choose a preferred class you cannot change it again.

Sekhmet

First Post
Heck yes for the extra feat. and 20 extra skillpoints over a 20 level career. favored class flexibility takes a backseat to those two benefits in my mind.
Other people are welcome to hold a different set of priorities, however. To each their own.

I choose Humans at least 60% of the time for the feat and the skill points. They're a good choice for any class or character concept. No build can't make use of another feat or maxed out skill.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Irium Purist
You are a staunch conservative raised to follow the old ways.
Prerequisites: 1st-level only, must be from Irium, cannot be chaotic.
Benefits: You gain a +2 on saves versus Will, knowledge (religion) is always a class skill for you, and you may change your preferred class to Cleric or Paladin.

Lady Chaomii

First Post
I like your thinking in giving alternate Favored Classes, but I don't think making it a feat would be necessary, and feels more like giving $100 for 50cents worth.

Admittedly I strongly dislike the idea of favored classes and XP penalties because of multiclassing all together and would rather just burn the notion in holy fire.

For starters, shouldn't anything background related just be part of that character's race? I don't think growing up in the cold winters of Staliongrad or the deadly forests of Everfree (Still in the D&D Equestria mindset) would classify as a feat, this is sounding more like the nuances of subraces.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I like your thinking in giving alternate Favored Classes, but I don't think making it a feat would be necessary, and feels more like giving $100 for 50cents worth.

Admittedly I strongly dislike the idea of favored classes and XP penalties because of multiclassing all together and would rather just burn the notion in holy fire.

For starters, shouldn't anything background related just be part of that character's race? I don't think growing up in the cold winters of Staliongrad or the deadly forests of Everfree (Still in the D&D Equestria mindset) would classify as a feat, this is sounding more like the nuances of subraces.

Well, when life gives you lemons, throw a wedge in some vodka and get shitfaced... ;-) I don't think non-humans should be as flexible as humans, so I don't think completely getting rid of class limits is a good idea, but adding some flexibility to the system and using it enhance roleplaying by giving players a deeper perspective on the way their characters were raised can't hurt. Also the main benefit of each of these feats is not the class change. In fact I would expect a few human characters to get these, too...

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Thosian Mamluk
You were born into slavery as a warrior of Shosnar.
Prerequisites: 1st-level only, must be from Shosnar, Strength 13+.
Benefits: Climb, jump, and tumble are always class skills for you. You gain a +2 bonus on Reflex checks but suffer a -2 penalty on Will checks due to your indoctrination and training. You may switch your preferred class to Fighter.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Academy Artist
You were educated in an art academy as part of educated elite.
Prerequisites: 1st-level only, must be from Valora or Aldea.
Benefits: Craft and perform are always class skills for you. You gain a +2 bonus on all Perform checks and on checks with one Craft skill that involves art, such as calligraphy, painting, sculpture, or weaving. In addition, if you have the bardic music ability, you may use it three additional times per day. You may change your preferred class to Bard or Illusionist. Once you have selected a preferred class you may not change it.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Ys, the Sinking City, the City of Canals, is always threated with flooding and constantly scrambling to add new stories to building sinking into the moist soil under their foundations. Everyone swims in Ys, and few people there do not know how to sail. Small boats of every type crowd the canal that serve the city in lieu of streets and the city is filled with corsairs, merchants, and scoundrels of every type.

Ysian Steersman
You were raised to work on a boat or ship and you are used to working on a rolling deck.
Prerequisites: 1st-level only, must be from Ys.
Benefits: balance, swim, profession (boater, fisher, and sailor), and use rope are always class skills for you. You get a +1 bonus to Reflex checks. You can change your preferred class to Trader or Corsair. Once you have chosen a preferred class you cannot change it.

Ysian Beachcomber
You grew up on the beach, diving for pearls, spearing fish, and exploring sunken ships.
Prerequisites: 1st-level only, must be from Ys, Con 13+.
Benefits: Jump, search, spot, and swim are always class skills for you. You are proficient with the net and harpoon. You receive a +1 bonus on Fortitude checks. You can switch your preferred class to Ranger or Corsair. Once your select a preferred class your cannot change it.

Ysian Street Tough
You grew up on the rowdy streets of Ys running with gangs of thugs and getting thrown out of taverns.
Prerequisites: 1st-level only, must be from Ys, Str 13+.
Benefits: Hide, jump, move silently, pickpockets, and tumble are always class skills for you. You get a +1 bonus on unarmed attack rolls. You can switch your preferred class to Rogue or Corsair. Once you select a preferred class you cannot change it.

kitcik

Adventurer
I love the flavor behind, and work pput into, all of these.

I think they are generally slightly weak. Just slightly.

Remove ads