Bad Moon over California

The Shaman

First Post
After finding an acceptable livery stable to care for Lightning and dickering with the stable hand to pass the time, Dakota, Thunder, and Lucky head for the Rosewood. Passing the bustle of activity along the Embarcadero, Dakota takes in the sight of ships clustered in the harbor, the smell of the sea breeze, the sound of gulls squawking overhead. Despite the novelty of the scene to the plainsman, Dakota’s thoughts keep turning to the odd letter signed “Marshal Colburn.”

Why me? Dakota wonders. I’m no lawman.

At the Rosewood Dakota finds a hitching rail and tosses Thunder’s reins over it. The palomino wouldn’t move until Dakota returned of course, but it never hurt to keep up appearances. By long force of habit when visiting town, the wrangler dusts himself off with his hat brim as he peeks through the doors. Nice place. He looks down at Lucky waiting patiently beside him. Too nice for you, I reckon.

“Lucky, stay,” he says, pointing at a spot on the wooden sidewalk next to the doors. The mutt wags his tail once, circles twice, and sits where Dakota points, as still as a statue. Dakota scratches him behind the ears. “Good boy. I’ll see if’n I can find you a bone.” The dog’s tail swishes back and forth in anticipation.

Dakota walks through the doors and gives the saloon and the patrons a once over. A card game in progress at a table. A couple of dudes giving their money away and a couple of black-legs there to collect it. A few other folks sitting by themselves, eyeing the door. One has his guns tied low, his hands clear of any obstructions. Seen his type before. Dodge City. Abilene. Deadwood. Another is unmistakably a brave, purposefully keeping to himself. Not lookin’ for trouble. Smart Indian. At the bar stands possibly the largest human being Dakota’s ever laid eyes on, dressed in buckskins and carrying a huge rifle. I seen buffalo heifers that weigh less. Hope he’s a friendly drunk or’n this place won’t look so fancy for long.

Dakota wanders up to the bar and nods a greeting to the bartender. “Beer,” he says, tossing a nickel on the polished wood. Well, Marshal Colburn, I’m here. Your move.

Bobitron

Explorer
synecdoche said:
He pulls up a seat and produces fifteen dollars.

David and Frank both stand and leave as soon as you agree to the high stakes game. Jake turns to you with a smile. "Looks like it's just the two of us, then."

He deals out five cards each after laying out his ante in the center of the table.

Gamble check.

synecdoche

First Post
Bobitron said:
He deals out five cards each after laying out his ante in the center of the table.

Gamble check.

"Too rich for their blood. No matter," muses D'Artois, as he antes and picks up his cards, keeping a careful eye on his opponent the whole time.

Gamble check: 17 + 16 = 33

hobbit_killer

First Post
Bear Trap

Downing his whiskey and turning to face the room, Well, looks like I'm not the only one from outside these parts here tonight". He then nods to the red man and the cowpoke next to. "Wooee, look at that dude flutter those cards! Like a covey of quail my damn mule flushes with that gas of his!"

Bobitron

Explorer
synecdoche said:
"Too rich for their blood. No matter," muses D'Artois, as he antes and picks up his cards, keeping a careful eye on his opponent the whole time.

Jake doles out 5 cards each with a huge grin. His confidence is a bit unsettling, but you've got a strong feelin' that he's a bit too puffed up from working over the locals for too long.

"How many cards fer you, young man?"

You have a strong hand to start from. Two kings and two threes is two pair in hand, and with a bit of luck, could turn to a full house with a lucky draw. Looking across at Jake, he still displays the same silly grin, but years of experience tell you he's not got the cards to back it up. Sometimes it's an intangible, but this time it's obvious to a pro like yourself. Jake's left hand has suddenly developed a hint of a shake. You ask for a single card, turning in a useless four. Jake takes three. Suddenly, the shake is gone.

"Well I'm sittin' pretty here, stranger. I'll raise you another $15."

He just handed you the three of spades, cementing your full house. You meet his raise, secure in the strength of your hand.

Jake whistles a low note, shaking his head slowly back and forth. "I'm gonna call you, son. Looks like one more falls to the skills of Jake Bosco." Laying out his cards, you see a flush of hearts.

You lay your cards out with a smile. "I don't confess to knowing how y'all play poker here in San Francisco, but a full house beats a flush back home in Louisiana."

Jakes grin falls from his face. David and Frank, sitting at the bar, both let out whoops of joy at seeing their tormentor fall. They rush over and pat John heartily on the back. Jake stands in a fury and storms out of the saloon, leaving his cards lying on the table.

Jake rolls a 8+14, for a total of 22. The differential in the check difference is 11, enough to win the hand and double your money. +2 to your Wealth.

Last edited:

знаток

First Post
Marshal Colburn

The Marshal steps through the door as the beaten card player storms out, immediately recognizing D'Artois scooping his winnings off the table and sending him a knowing congratulatory grin. The lawman's dark silhouette is accentuated by the contrast of the dimly lit bar and the falling sun behind him, though the polished silver star on his chest still stands out. "Afternoon all," he calls out to the whole saloon, tipping his grey stetson. "I see you've attracted some particularly fine patrons today, Mr. Hadfield," he calls to the bartender as he approaches the bar to greet the man with a smile and a handshake. He quickly acknowledges the five men with deliberate eye contact, seemingly comfortably familiar with each man's identity and appearance.

"Glad to see y'all could make it. I'm Marshal Dusty Colburn." No weapon is visible on the Marshal until he raises his arm toward the door at the back of the saloon, revealing a shiny shortened Colt pistol in a decorated holster at his hip. "If Mister D'Artois is through driving the locals to poverty, I'd like it if you gentlemen'd bring your drinks and join me for a mite."

synecdoche

First Post
John D'Artois

D'Artois smiles and tips his hat to Jake. "Well, sir, it appears that duty calls. Adieu."

He rises from the table, takes a look at the motley group now assembled in the bar, gestures at the door, and says, "After you, gentlemen."

знаток

First Post
Marshal Colburn

Dusty holds the door for the men as they enter the room. "Have a seat, fellas." As the crew chooses their seats, he closes the door behind them and walks to the head of the table.

"I want express the gratitude of the US Marshals Service for your agreement to join me in this. I'm also personally pleased that you've all joined me, as I specifically requested the aid of every man in this room based on my own familiarity with your skills and exploits. Some of you may already know me, some may only know of me, while others may have never heard my name before; but I've known each of you well for months or longer. Since none of you've ever met though, let's get acquainted right quick. I can assure you we're all trustworthy here, so go on and tell everybody what you do."

hobbit_killer

First Post
Bear Trap

"Well Marshal, if you got yerself a bear problem, I'm your man. Somehow though, I reckon that's not the case."

The big man ambles into the room, spits out some more tobacco and addresses the group, "My name is Jebidiah Williams. At least that's mt Christian name. Y'all can call me "Bear Trap" or Jeb. Hell, I'll answer to Sally Sue for this kinda money. I make a livn' huntn' and trappn', bear especially. It's nice to meet y'all and I thank the Marshal here for his kind hospitality." With that, he flops himself in a chair and downs the rest of his second glass of whiskey. He looks ruefully at the empty glass and sighs before he puts it down.

Let me know if you want me to start rolling fort saves for alcohol consumption.

Bobitron

Explorer
hobbit_killer said:
Let me know if you want me to start rolling fort saves for alcohol consumption.

Can't say I'm concerned about it until you get 5 or 6 in you, at least. Big man like Jeb could probably toss back quite a few before really showing the effects. ;)

Remove ads