Bad Movies You Liked

Richards

Adventurer
Do old Godzilla movies count? Because I'm a sucker for those, even the particularly goofy ones like Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster (where Godzilla uses his fiery breath as a form of rocket propulsion) and Godzilla vs. Megalon (where he can suddenly do gravity-defying kung fu moves like jumping at his enemy feet first with his tail dragging along the ground).

Johnathan

Raunalyn

Adventurer
I thought of a couple more.

Tank Girl...I loved the movie, but it was considered so bad that it almost completely destroyed Lori Petty's acting career.

And finally, I have four words...

Rocky Horror Picture Show...

Tonguez

Adventurer
"Legend" (the 1985 film with Tom Cruise, Mia Sara, and Tim Curry)
"The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension"
I wanted to say "Hansel and Gretal; Witch Hunters", but apparently it did pretty well financially.
excuse me! The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension is one of the greatest movies ever made - it, like Labyrinth, is not a Bad Movie and should not be listed in this thread!!!

doing well at the box office is NOT an indication of quality

Last edited:

Ryujin

Adventurer
excuse me! The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension is one of the greatest movies ever made - it, like Labyrinth, is not a Bad Movie and should not be listed in this thread!!!

doing well at the box office is NOT an indication of quality
Unfortunately, for the purposes of this thread, that was the specific criteria; a box office flop ;)

Tonguez

Adventurer
And were critically panned is also mentioned in OP

For instance both Fight Club and Big Trouble in Little China were box office flops

Ryujin

Adventurer

For instance both Fight Club and Big Trouble in Little China were box office flops
As I recall Buckaroo Banzai was critically panned at the time, but has since gained cult status.

Legatus_Legionis

< BLAH HA Ha ha >
My problem with the Destroyer is that The Barbarian was actually a really good movie, one of the best fantasy flicks ever made - a true classic. It was as if with the sequel they remembered the era and they made just another silly 80s fantasy movie, in the vein of Krull, Beastmaster, and Sword & Sorcerer.

​But yeah, it is kind of fun.
I recall when they announced Destroyer that it was going to be rated M(ature) so that they could reach a bigger audience, instead of the rated R that was the Barbarian. Conan needs to have an R rating, so this was the first bad news.

Secondly it was reported most of the budget when into creating Dagoth. So the action/blood/fight scenes had to be scaled back.

Legend (the 1985 film)

Tim Curry looked awesome in his "Darkness" costume.

Labyrinth

It was a fun movie to watch.

It gave me lots of ideas to use in my D&D games.

In my DragonLance setting, I used a version of the "Bog of Eternal Stench" to protect one of the Towers of High Sorcery, etc.

The Sword And The Sorcerer

Great special effects and film score. The chase in the castle, I could loop that music endlessly.

Too bad the end credits tagline
Watch for Talon's Next Adventure "Tales of the Ancient Empire" coming soon
And we had to wait till 2010 to get the next to aweful film, where they did not even give Lee Horsley's character his proper name "Talon", instead they just referred to him as "The Stranger".

Zardnaar

Hero

I'm not to strict, itsostly so people don't put up movies they personally don't like and claim they're bad.

Some good movies lose money, not everyone knows about the movie or that it lost money.

It's a fun type thread, posting bad/under appreciated movies and flops is fine.

Ralif Redhammer

Adventurer
Another 80s sword and sorcery film that I adore. I saw it when I was probably to young to do so, and it’s stuck with me ever since. That sword makes no sense, but when I was a kid I didn’t care. The recent “sequel” was a shameful effort.

Legend is a favorite of mine. The version with the Tangerine Dream soundtrack, though. While Goldsmith has done some amazing work elsewhere, I prefer the synthesized exoticism of TD to his Disney-like one.

If you’ve never read the original script, Legend of Darkness, I recommend it. It’s crazy epic in scope:

https://www.figmentfly.com/legend/script3a.html

The Sword And The Sorcerer

Great special effects and film score. The chase in the castle, I could loop that music endlessly.

Too bad the end credits tagline

And we had to wait till 2010 to get the next to aweful film, where they did not even give Lee Horsley's character his proper name "Talon", instead they just referred to him as "The Stranger".

Zardnaar

Hero
Do old Godzilla movies count? Because I'm a sucker for those, even the particularly goofy ones like Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster (where Godzilla uses his fiery breath as a form of rocket propulsion) and Godzilla vs. Megalon (where he can suddenly do gravity-defying kung fu moves like jumping at his enemy feet first with his tail dragging along the ground).

Johnathan
Absolutely. It's mostly just stuff like Transformers, not great movies but lots of money made.

Gadget

Explorer
I'll second John Carter. It wasn't that bad of a movie, the studio just decided to cut their losses before it even released and didn't market it. It was also weird that they changed the title late in development.

CapnZapp

Adventurer
Once I realized John Carter would be a Disney sanitized version of Barsoom, I lost all interest, and it seems I was not alone.

Premium streaming is more and more the only place you can find mature sci fi and fantasy.

I would love a Frazettian movie or show set on Barsoom or in the Hyborian Age.

lowkey13

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
I'll second John Carter. It wasn't that bad of a movie, the studio just decided to cut their losses before it even released and didn't market it. It was also weird that they changed the title late in development.
John Carter was ... not bad.

But, in terms of movies that were a) flops, and b) critically reviled, I would go with Jupiter Ascending.

It's not great, but it is fun and visually interesting.

I'd put Valerian in that category as well (although it almost reached a 50% fresh rating, so not nearly as critically hated).

Sacrosanct

Slayer of Keraptis
Bad movies I liked? Both Arnold Conan movies (Conan the Barbarian got horrible reviews from many in the community, including a scathing review in Dragon magazine).

Kung Pow. Yep. I like that movie. Deal with it.
Enemy Mine

Related, revered movies I don't like? Big Lebowski and Dune.

dragoner

Dying in Chargen
No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of.

I loved Valerian, except for the character Valerian. lol

Hardware comes right in at the 50%, little old for the challenge though. Hardware (1990)

Advertisement