Bad Movies You Liked

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Cutthroat Island. Geena Davis hamming it up as a pirate - what could possibly ever be bad about that? Yet critics and the paying public hated it with a passion.

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (the Costner one). Costner can't do an English accent to save his life, and the critics pilloried him (and by extension the whole movie) for it, but get past that and this thing's great!

The Golden Compass. Bombed in the US largely because of - well, let's just say politics - which is a crying shame, as it's really good.

SW Ep I - The Phantom Menace. Yes it's bad, even though it made craptons of money, but I have a soft spot for it - and lines from it are constantly floating around our games...
"Wipe them out. All of them." - common instructions to summoned monsters; also often said by villains
"Why do I think we've picked up another pathetic lifeform?" - the party acquires an NPC or rescues someone
"There's always a bigger fish." - when you find out there's a bigger BBEG behind the original BBEG
"[We're] losing droids, fast!" - when party members and-or allies are dropping like flies
I enjoyed all of those movies except maybe cutthroat island but that's because I can't remember it.

Saw Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves in the theater. The cast is solid. Costner's English accent only appears when he says "Robin of Locksley." Other than that, he doesn't even try.

It's still pretty fun, though a few parts of it haven't aged so well.

I never got why people hated on Cutthroat Island.

It's release set high expectations. It was marketed as an epic. It was known to have a really huge budget and star power. What was delivered was less than that. It was like being sold The Shining but ending up with The Blob.

Also, it's massive financial failure killed the pirate movie genre for some time.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yup. As long as the $s made, the critics can say whatever they like.

The Joker not the biggest box office butb
It's release set high expectations. It was marketed as an epic. It was known to have a really huge budget and star power. What was delivered was less than that. It was like being sold The Shining but ending up with The Blob.

Also, it's massive financial failure killed the pirate movie genre for some time.

I think it was only 8 years or so between that and Pirates of the Caribbean.

You don't see a lot of pirate movies anyway.

Ryujin

Legend

Popular cinema seems to go in cycles. Westerns should be coming back soon.

Remove ads