Bad Movies You Liked

Richards

Legend
By "good" you seem to mean "precisely adhering to the books".
I no doubt seem to mean that because I do mean that. I've always been a firm believer in "respect the source material" when it comes to adaptations from one medium to another. It's when you don't respect the source material that you end up with a greedy John Carter interested only in gold, or Robert Downey Jr. as a Sherlock Holmes who not only visits prostitutes but is easily outsmarted by one, or a Star Trek reboot where a Romulan vessel going back in time creates an alternate timeline where all of a sudden Vulcan has a moon it never had before, transporter technology now works in a different way, and you can beam onto a starship traveling at warp speeds.

Not to mention that the black martians, who are the ultimate villains of the works, have the same racism issues that D&D drow have... largely because it looks like the drow are cribbed from the black martians.
I'll just point out that while the Black Pirates are definitely depicted as an evil race, their skin color doesn't seem to really play into it - the white-skinned Therns are just as evil, as are the yellow men of the north and the green Barsoomians. If there's a racism issue in the Barsoomian novels (the first one, really, as if memory serves it's the only place it comes up), it's the depiction of Native Americans as bloodthirsty savages; the novel was written in 1912 and is certainly a product of its time.

Have you not considered the very real constraints to movie-making behind those changes? Do, you want green martians that won't fit into a cinematic frame with their human-sized counterparts, and with eyes such that they cannot effectively express emotions - or even sight-lines - to a human audience? Because that's what you are describing.
Yep, that's what I want. If these issues make an accurate Barsoom movie a non-starter, then so be it - I'd rather have either an accurate movie or none at all. Case in point: "World War Z" is an excellent novel, told as a patchwork mosaic of little pieces of action taking place all over the world. An accurate movie of that novel will now probably never be made, because a "World War Z" movie was made, only somehow it got turned into "Brad Pitt single-handedly saves the world from zombies that can run really, really fast."

I don't begrudge a studio making a "Brad Pitt single-handedly saves the world from zombies that can run really, really fast" movie; I'm just ticked that having made that movie and used that name, there will likely never be an accurate "World War Z" movie made. Likewise, if they were going to make such changes to the "John Carter of Mars" story, I'd have just as soon they made the movie they wanted and called it something else. I have no problem with Robert Downey Jr. playing a Victorian-era detective who gets outwitted by prostitutes - as long as they don't make that character be Sherlock Holmes.

I'm well aware not everyone has the same issues with respecting the source material as I do and I'm not trying to convert anyone to my way of thinking; I'm just explaining why these things bother me like they do.

Johnathan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Cutthroat Island. Geena Davis hamming it up as a pirate - what could possibly ever be bad about that? Yet critics and the paying public hated it with a passion.

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (the Costner one). Costner can't do an English accent to save his life, and the critics pilloried him (and by extension the whole movie) for it, but get past that and this thing's great!

The Golden Compass. Bombed in the US largely because of - well, let's just say politics - which is a crying shame, as it's really good.

SW Ep I - The Phantom Menace. Yes it's bad, even though it made craptons of money, but I have a soft spot for it - and lines from it are constantly floating around our games...
"Wipe them out. All of them." - common instructions to summoned monsters; also often said by villains
"Why do I think we've picked up another pathetic lifeform?" - the party acquires an NPC or rescues someone
"There's always a bigger fish." - when you find out there's a bigger BBEG behind the original BBEG
"[We're] losing droids, fast!" - when party members and-or allies are dropping like flies

Ulfgeir

Hero
Cutthroat Island. Geena Davis hamming it up as a pirate - what could possibly ever be bad about that? Yet critics and the paying public hated it with a passion.

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (the Costner one). Costner can't do an English accent to save his life, and the critics pilloried him (and by extension the whole movie) for it, but get past that and this thing's great!

Love Cutthroat Island. Also liked the movie where she was a secret agent with amnesia.
And the Robin hood movie has a really good sheriff. "No more merciful beheadings, and call of Christmas"

Remove ads