D&D 5E Bad Sage Advice?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
You obviously do not know how a shield works or how to use it.
Make your research. Go see vids of Skalagrim, Shadiversity, The EMA vids on medieval use of shields and you'll see that saying that a shields grants these things is complete garbage.
Yes some shields do that. It is written on their descriptions. Go do your research and you'll see that this ruling is complete garbage.
You don’t seem to have actually read what you’re responding to. Maybe reread it. Your reply is nonsense.

FYI, I’ve fought with a sword and shield quite a bit. Having done so bears no relation to anything I said about magic shield enchantments in D&D . 🤷‍♂️

also citing shadiversity, a garbage MRA whiner, isn’t gonna score you any points.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Sage Advice. ;)

True. I don't know that a lot of what they put out is bad though. I simply don't use it. I feel I have a pretty good handle on how my table works. May be more important once I go back to like Adventure League stuff, but even then, I don't know that it would ever be an end all be all. Nothing I would bemoan if I saw an entry I found lacking.

Honestly, there could be some stuff in there I would really agree with. I am perhaps too stubborn or too lazy to find out. :p

Wrathamon

Adventurer
And what about this one?
[NEW] What happens if I’m polymorphed or Wild Shaped into a creature with fewer than 100 hit points and then I’m targeted by power word kill? You die.

Great Nerf to a class that did not need one. The druid gets to the bottom of all classes with its only redeeming feature. I ruled that you are thrown of the new form, but nope you die. No matter if the druid has personally 200 hp. He took the form a humming bird to move fast, but the evil archmage was near. Boom! The druid is dead... An other good SA.

This isnt a nerf. this is how its always been. It doesnt say reduce you to 0 hp. it just says you are dead. I disagree with you. Your HR is fine but this isn't an errata or change to the existing rules.

The Shield Bash feat to me is since that one changes how we are all meant to interpret bonus actions and how they're triggered. He waffled on it and it's clearly a ... poorly written feat since its seems to be the exception that doesn't work well with the interpretation bonus action timing. I dont think they really thought of all the edge cases on timing enough since it is defined poorly in the rules.

He also said you only need to make 1 attack from your attacks and can follow up with the extra attack. I disagree with the interpretation for Shield Bash but I agree that one is fuzzy since timing isnt clearly defined as polymorph/wild shape. Dead isnt 0 hp that is unconscious / dying.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
The point is for this (and other) bad rulings is they already intend to update the text in the DMG and other books in later printings--it is part of many of the new SA responses, so why not instead rule "Magical shields must be equipped for you to benefit from them." or something and then update the DMG in the next printing to "While you have this shield equipped, you have a bonus..."

I think sometimes they take english too literal. I didnt know don and held were two different states. But, they decided it was.

But, narratively i think it works in that I held a magic shield I dont know how to use but it still gives me protection because "magic" I can see how this would work in a film or book. The kid picks up the shield and blocks the blows from the evil knight seeming to be able to defend himself with no training.

I do see it being a "power gamer" issue down the road

I think sometimes they take english too literal. I didnt know don and held were two different states. But, they decided it was.

But, narratively i think it works in that I held a magic shield I dont know how to use but it still gives me protection because "magic" I can see how this would work in a film or book. The kid picks up the shield and blocks the blows from the evil knight seeming to be able to defend himself with no training.

I do see it being a "power gamer" issue down the road
That's already how nonmagical shields work - you can wield them, but you have disadvantage on strength or dex rolls and can't cast spells.

But a magic shield (unlike any other item) provides it's magical protection even if you just sort of grab it by the edge. Apparently.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
That's already how nonmagical shields work - you can wield them, but you have disadvantage on strength or dex rolls and can't cast spells.

But a magic shield (unlike any other item) provides it's magical protection even if you just sort of grab it by the edge. Apparently.
Yes that is what I'm getting at. The magic works even if they are not donned but just held. touching it isnt holding it. it still works narratively.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
Yes that is what I'm getting at. The magic works even if they are not donned but just held. touching it isnt holding it. it still works narratively.
DND beyond isnt even setup this way so I agree its silly mechanically. Now they have to code in DONNED and HELD as too different item states for shields. Is Worn and Donned different for magic armor?

Remove ads