D&D 5E Bad Sage Advice?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Your insistence on belittling the intelligence of people who you disagree with is both offensive, and speaks very, very, poorly of you.
Sorry, I call it as I see it. 🤷‍♂️

We've disagreed enough in the past and remained relatively civil to each other, which is cool, but if my posts offend you please ignore me. I won't take it personally. If you choose to do so--best of luck to you and your games! :)

Problems with SA are easy to solve if you never read them in the first place. Maybe I am blessed with a lack of rules lawyers at this point? I definitely had them in the past.
We rarely reference them, but most of my group is online that it pops up. 90+% of the time, we just play how we want to anyway.

No, the magic of the shield extends a field of protection around you.
Or it magically compels attacks toward the shield.
Or makes it hard to properly look at you closely enough to target you with accuracy.
Or whatever else someone wants to imagine.
You obviously do not know how a shield works or how to use it.
Make your research. Go see vids of Skalagrim, Shadiversity, The EMA vids on medieval use of shields and you'll see that saying that a shields grants these things is complete garbage.
Yes some shields do that. It is written on their descriptions. Go do your research and you'll see that this ruling is complete garbage.

Want another one?
Can a creature under the effect of compelled duelteleport more than 30 feet away from the caster? No. You can’t move farther than 30 feet away from the caster of com-pelled duel by any means, including teleportation.

Why? Teleportation is not moving. It's teleportation! It is a spell for god's sake... Does that break the intent of compel duel? Nope, you still can't move. But at least now a 1st level is broken with the use of 2nd level or higher. I say it is a win for the compeler. But still SA says nope. No can do.
Makes sense to me. Compelled duel is an enchantment spell. It is affecting your mind. You are not being physically constrained, you are being mentally controlled.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Makes sense to me. Compelled duel is an enchantment spell. It is affecting your mind. You are not being physically constrained, you are being mentally controlled.
So does that mean the 'compelled' victim would be blocked from casting teleport or dimension door at all? That seems a bit much.

However, if the victim is in fact able to cast those spells then it only makes sense that the caster could choose a valid arrival target, which (with teleport) could be anywhere.

That said, if I'm a caster and I realize I've been 'compelled', if I'm able to cast I'm not going to cast something to move me away from my foe, I'm going to cast something that'll move my foe away from me: something like Fear, Spook, or any other such spell that can make my foe flee in terror.

I can't move away from my foe but there's nothing saying my foe can't move away from me. :)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
So does that mean the 'compelled' victim would be blocked from casting teleport or dimension door at all? That seems a bit much.

However, if the victim is in fact able to cast those spells then it only makes sense that the caster could choose a valid arrival target, which (with teleport) could be anywhere.

Theoretically, you could cast those spells as long as the destination is within 30 feet of the person compelling you. Seems fair to me. The victim of the spell must successfully save to try to move more than 30 feet away - failure means they can't even try, even through magical means. I'd say the compulsion determines the valid places to go to.

That said, if I'm a caster and I realize I've been 'compelled', if I'm able to cast I'm not going to cast something to move me away from my foe, I'm going to cast something that'll move my foe away from me: something like Fear, Spook, or any other such spell that can make my foe flee in terror.

I can't move away from my foe but there's nothing saying my foe can't move away from me. :)

Yes, for this spell, that's a much better strategy.
Alternatively, if the victim actually makes a save and can move more than 30 feet away, that's a very good time to dimension door or teleport - to a location the paladin can't possibly get to in the next round. That's a sure breaker of the spell.

glass

(he, him)
You obviously do not know how a shield works or how to use it.
Make your research. Go see vids of Skalagrim, Shadiversity, The EMA vids on medieval use of shields and you'll see that saying that a shields grants these things is complete garbage.
Yes some shields do that. It is written on their descriptions. Go do your research and you'll see that this ruling is complete garbage.
Are you really telling how @doctorbadwolf to do research how magic shields work in the real world? Because I am pretty sure that is impossible. I have already said that this ruling is not great, but lets not go overboard.

_
glass.

Are you really telling how @doctorbadwolf to do research how magic shields work in the real world? Because I am pretty sure that is impossible. I have already said that this ruling is not great, but lets not go overboard.

_
glass.
Nope, I am telling him how shields work in the real real world. There is a big difference.

So, by logic, a magical shield will do the same things but better and faster. Just like a +1 sword will cut better and will be more resistant, will have more flexing capacity than a normal sword would. It will not fly in the face of your opponent by itself (save the actual flying sword). Some shields have additional magical properties and these are fine. Hey a flying shield does not even have to be worn to be effective and will work as if you were weilding it by interposing itself between you and the attacks.

And notice how the flying shield works... Simply by doing what you would normally do... wow no nonsense about force fields ...

glass

(he, him)
Nope, I am telling him how shields work in the real real world. There is a big difference.
But how shields work in the real world was not really relevant to their point, which (AIUI) was how the shield's magic protects you does not have to be related to how the shield's mundane properties protect you. Nobody is suggesting that you get the shield's mundane bonus for just holding it.

Personally, I think it is more intuitive and evocative if the protective magic enhances the shield's mundane protective abilities rather than being orthagonal to them, but that is a subjective problem with the Sage Advice. A more objective problem, if the citations in this thread are accurate, is that it is not correct RAW either.

_
glass.

Last edited:

My main grippe with the SA is that you don't have to use the shield to get its bonuses. It goes against how every other magical items, protective or offensive, work.

Remove ads