D&D 5E Bad Sage Advice?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Can language even get married to hyper literal interpretations? What's the law on that these days? Who presides over that ceremony? Jeeze! This is tough.

lol. Or we could say you never "hold" the shield since on the atomic level your hand and the shield never actually touch. It's just kinda suspended in mid-air due to atomic level forces of your hand and it interacting.

Alternatively, holding the shield is never defined as holding it with your hand. Thus, the fighter can ask the wizard to hold onto his shield for him and the wizard could then place it in his bag of holding and get the bonus AC because he is technically holding the shield for the fighter.

IMO - Natural English is a terrible language in which to be married to hyper literal interpretations.

Yep, that is why most international treaties and documents are written in French. It is much more precise.

So you have to 'hold' the shield? Generally we wouldn't consider holding to be wearing on one's back, so it has to be in one's hands.

You could technically hold something in your teeth but that would be pretty difficult I imagine for anything bigger than a buckler. (Plus, I think I would rule that if the Shield stops you from being hit then you have to make some kind of save or risk losing lots of teeth).
I think the "risk" that people are getting most het up about is that a non-proficient user holding (but not wielding) a magical shield to get the magical bonus to AC (but not the shield bonus) without suffering the penalties for non-proficient use.

There are other more edge cases (such as creatures with extra limbs), but I think the above case is the most likely example that might possibly happen with a group that insisted on using the Sage advice ruling.

I thought part of the point of 5e was a return to natural language.

If we're going to quibble over legalistic definitions of words then what was the point of that?

It seems pretty obvious to me that holding was supposed to be synonymous with wielding.

I mean for god's sake if you deliberately eschew technical language then you need to go with common sense interpretations of ambiguities not legalistic ones.
Even though you might write in natural language, that is not going to stop some people trying to exploit or quibble with the rules based on a legalistic interpretation.
For those people who insist on a legalistic literal interpretation of RAW, there is Sage Advice.
For everyone else, there is their DM's decision, which is likely to be an interpretation based on common sense.

So if a magic shield gives you magical bonus AC while holding it in any fashion, then shouldn't simply holding the edge of that shield also count as wielding it?
Ask your DM. :)

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
I think it would be hard to make the argument that going from not holding to holding the edge of a shield takes an action.

Remove ads