D&D Movie/TV Baldurs Gate 3 Live Action Series talks at Netflix

OB1

Jedi Master
What I'm gathering from this thread is that I should definitely watch WoT as someone who hasn't read the books.
I had tried to read the books years ago but couldn't get thru the first one. After the second season of the show finished I was hooked enough to give the books another try, and am now halfway thru book 4 and will likely finish the series before the next season of the show comes out. I've found the diversions between the two fascinating so far, with the series compressing and changing things neatly for the episodic television show format.

Rystefn

Explorer
I'm not saying that live action would objectively be a better medium than animation for a BG story. All the reasons about how fantastically expensive it would be to do the setting justice previously brought up are correct and if anything, understated. I think people might be underestimating how ready audiences are to accept Xena-tier effects if the story is good and the characters fun to watch, but the people in charge of deciding whether or not to make it are obviously very strongly of the opinion that no one would watch that now because it's easier than admitting that they have no idea how to actually make a show with a good story and fun characters, so they have no choice except to try to make up for the fact that those things are an absolute crap-shoot on their end by using flashy visuals.

I am saying, though, that if they made it animated, there's approximately a 110% chance of it being animated in an anime or near-anime art style that would make me hate it so much that no amount of good story or fun characters could make me sit through it. So I'll be over here strongly supporting the live-action choice.

Remove ads