D&D Movie/TV Baldurs Gate 3 Live Action Series talks at Netflix

Zardnaar

Legend
A BG show would need a considerably bigger budget than Game of Thrones, since it's jammed full of fantastic creatures, alien ships and all sorts of weirdness that would require expensive VFX. GoT had 3 dragons. The Mandalorian would be a closer comparison. I mean, even the goblins in Act1 - you going to put kids in rubber masks, then kill them?

Depends if they copy the game or use it as a guide.
I doubt if cutting all the monsters that are not men in rubber suits would make for a satisfactory adaptation.

Use then less. More grounded a'la Game of Thrones break out CGI when relevant eg dragons.

They could set it after the game, prequel it or focus on a single act.

Depends if they copy the game or use it as a guide.

Use then less. More grounded a'la Game of Thrones break out CGI when relevant eg dragons.

They could set it after the game, prequel it or focus on a single act.
So, in other words, cut out all the stuff that makes it distinctively D&D, and churn out a GoT rip-off instead.

Zardnaar

Legend
So, in other words, cut out all the stuff that makes it distinctively D&D, and churn out a GoT rip-off instead.

No you don't need MCU cgi levels.

TV shows generally cheaper. Think Trek or Stargate. Older trek. How much cgi do you actually see?

BG 3 doesn't really have amazing graphics either relative to other pretty games. It's story makes it.

Who knows they might decide to throw ten million or more per episode which brings you into MCU/Star Wars show or late GoT seasons.

Shadow and Bone season 1 came in around 60 million apparently. It was better than shows with vastly bigger budgets.

No you don't need MCU cgi levels.

TV shows generally cheaper. Think Trek or Stargate. Older trek. How much cgi do you actually see?
Those old shows people where accepting of ropey FX because that was all there was. These days people are spoiled, it will never pass. And think about what you have to see in Baldur's Gate, or anything D&D: Monsters, and lots of them. The time has passed when the audience would accept men in rubber suits (frankly it was even a joke (and sometimes lampshaded) back in the early days of Doctor Who). BG3 doesn't go for realistic graphics - it aims to look like a cartoon. Switching to live action basically means switching to state of the art graphics. Not only is it expensive, it's questionable that it's even appropriate.

5f689c2d820c736d06667a5c3d4771b2.jpg

Zardnaar

Legend
Those old shows people where accepting of ropey FX because that was all there was. These days people are spoiled, it will never pass. And think about what you have to see in Baldur's Gate, or anything D&D: Monsters, and lots of them. The time has passed when the audience would accept men in rubber suits (frankly it was even a joke (and sometimes lampshaded) back in the early days of Doctor Who). BG3 doesn't go for realistic graphics - it aims to look like a cartoon. Switching to live action basically means switching to state of the art graphics. Not only is it expensive, it's questionable that it's even appropriate.

I'm not saying you compromise on cgi quality but on the quantity.

Unless you're dropping 200 million or more a series.

Shadow snd Bone season 1 was better than RoP, WoT and some of the Witcher seasons.

Rings of power is hundreds of millions, Mandalorian levels is around 200 million.

So depends on how much money Netflix or whoever wants to drop.

If something has to go I'm willing to compromise on special effect. Great effects crap story well Rings of Power and phase 4&5 MCU exist for that.

I'm not saying you compromise on cgi quality but on the quantity.
Star Trek TOS and Doctor Who had lots of VFX, even though everyone knew the quality was terrible. Because they were essential to the type of show they were making,
Shadow snd Bone season 1 was better than RoP, WoT and some of the Witcher seasons.
Shadow and Bone was fundamentally a show about angsty teens, VFX wasn't important. D&D is about fighting monsters.

You think Netflix should make a live action BG show with angsty teens and no monsters? I can tell you one thing for certain: I won't be watching (although I might rage-quit my Netflix account).

An animated BG show? I would definitely watch that.

Love that photo

Meech17

Adventurer
I’m loving RoP and can’t wait for the next season to come out. But I feel like I would enjoy WoT more if I had never read the books. When I watch it, all I wind up doing is noticing all the things that diverge (sometimes drastically) from the books.
What I'm gathering from this thread is that I should definitely watch WoT as someone who hasn't read the books.

Remove ads