D&D Movie/TV Baldurs Gate 3 Live Action Series talks at Netflix

Netflix butchered the Witcher so bad Henry left. I have no faith they will make a good BG show.
If it was animated, I might expect Netflix to potentially turn out something good, but they've done fairly poorly with live-action fantasy shows, in a variety of different ways. I don't agree with some traditionalist/"but it isn't the books!!!!!!" criticism of The Witcher, but it certainly wasn't what it could have been. And Shadow & Bone had 95%* perfect casting, 100% understood was good about the books, the characters, the setting, and the story, and just didn't have the budget to do what it needed to at anything less than fast-forward speed. If they'd had 10-13 episodes/season instead of 8, it could have been totally amazing. But it was solid, and then Netflix killed it, at the same time as saying actually it did really well. Incredible stuff Netflix.

Animated is a different matter - Arcane is practically a masterpiece and so ridiculously better than the risible source material it's mind-boggling. The Castlevania stuff has been solid to great.

The other big problem with live action BG3 is, several of those characters 100% live and die on the voice acting. Astarion could be ruined in a heartbeat by casting the wrong guy, likewise Lae'zel. Some of the others it's a bit easier, but damn. And on top of all this, in live action, it'd be hideously expensive, like oh my god expensive, if you didn't want it to look dire. Especially in places like the Underdark, for god's sake.

* = Failing to cast a tall girl as Nina Zenik was a crime - the character is like 5'10 at a dead minimum - and tall girl actresses - who there are more of every year - have a hard enough time already thanks to the diminutive stature of so many male leads, but otherwise Danielle Galligan was good.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
* = Failing to cast a tall girl as Nina Zenik was a crime - the character is like 5'11 at a dead minimum, probably over 6' - and tall girl actresses - who there are more of every year - have a hard enough time already thanks to the diminutive stature of so many male leads, but otherwise Danielle Galligan was good.
I love Galligan in it. She shows strength without having to be some towering force of muscle. If the only way women can be considered worthy is through magic or muscle that would be a shame. Her personality is her strength -- and also her magic.

There's also the report that Cavill disliked women telling him what to do
Both Cavill's supposed love of the books and sexism seem to be exaggerations of the same grains of truth. For example, the female showrunner the show did say Cavill often had lore points to add in and little things to suggest, but that Cavill was extremely polite and never pushy about them (she was specific). Different groups exaggerated different parts of these truths, to try and make Cavill into either a sort of Incel-Hero figure, fighting the brave fight of being a misogynist ultra-nerd, or Cavill into a sort of Incel-Villain who hates women and obsessively attempted to push lore. And this whole "Oh he quite because he is a PURE TRUE NERD and couldn't stand what they are doing!" seems like pure fantasy to me. I'm pretty sure he quit because they cast him in a new Superman movie (which then fell through).

Somehow I don't think a dude who looks like that and has the GFs he does is really on the side of the incels nor is a guy who did three series of The Witcher going to quit for the fourth just because of "lore problems".

I love Galligan in it. She shows strength without having to be some towering force of muscle. If the only way women can be considered worthy is through magic or muscle that would be a shame. Her personality is her strength -- and also her magic.
Height and "muscle" have nothing to do with each other, and it's kind of weird to suggest they do. My point is that there are a lot of actresses over 5'9" and they universally have more trouble finding roles than shorter ones, so it's sad to see a role specifically for a tall character, who frequently noted as being taller than other characters, be given to a relative short actress. I'm assuming you haven't read the books given the "strength" comment - Nina Zenik is fairly strong (she is a Heartrender) but not shockingly so. Also distinguishing her personality from her magic is kind of a major plot point in the books (and whether they're separate or interrelate or what) so I won't go into that further without spoilers lol.

(NB I am biased, my wife is just over 6' and it's sadly rare to see any representation in her height range on TV - Netflix did actually do a "tall girl" teen drama movie - literally called Tall Girl - which she really related to. And the actress in that was all of 6'1")

Zardnaar

Legend
Both Cavill's supposed love of the books and sexism seem to be exaggerations of the same grains of truth. For example, the female showrunner the show did say Cavill often had lore points to add in and little things to suggest, but that Cavill was extremely polite and never pushy about them (she was specific). Different groups exaggerated different parts of these truths, to try and make Cavill into either a sort of Incel-Hero figure, fighting the brave fight of being a misogynist ultra-nerd, or Cavill into a sort of Incel-Villain who hates women and obsessively attempted to push lore. And this whole "Oh he quite because he is a PURE TRUE NERD and couldn't stand what they are doing!" seems like pure fantasy to me. I'm pretty sure he quit because they cast him in a new Superman movie (which then fell through).

Somehow I don't think a dude who looks like that and has the GFs he does is really on the side of the incels nor is a guy who did three series of The Witcher going to quit for the fourth just because of "lore problems".

Height and "muscle" have nothing to do with each other, and it's kind of weird to suggest they do. My point is that there are a lot of actresses over 5'9" and they universally have more trouble finding roles than shorter ones, so it's sad to see a role specifically for a tall character, who frequently noted as being taller than other characters, be given to a relative short actress. I'm assuming you haven't read the books given the "strength" comment - Nina Zenik is fairly strong (she is a Heartrender) but not shockingly so. Also distinguishing her personality from her magic is kind of a major plot point in the books (and whether they're separate or interrelate or what) so I won't go into that further without spoilers lol.

(NB I am biased, my wife is just over 6' and it's sadly rare to see any representation in her height range on TV - Netflix did actually do a "tall girl" teen drama movie - literally called Tall Girl - which she really related to. And the actress in that was all of 6'1")

6'1 is very tall for a female. That's taller than me.

Think I've only come across two women that I've had to look up to 1 was 1999 and she was about my height the other was this year and I'm not to sure how tall she was. Here dad towered over me (6'6 or 6'8 i think) made my wife laugh (she's 5' very rarely do I have to look up to anyone).

Google tells me your wife is top 0.7% of women in height.

Google tells me your wife is top 0.7% of women in height.
Of the world population, perhaps, though I would be interested in a source. It's a much higher percentage the however when you look at younger people and specific national groups - both men and women are taller than they used to be, and only aging populations (who also get shorter, note, with age) are keeping the average height as low as it is.
Think I've only come across two women that I've had to look up to
Statistically that's unlikely even based on 0.7%, unless you're a real homebody or live in a nation with below-average heights (which you might, of course). Guessing you're not in Northern or Central Europe?

Anyway, living in a big city in Europe it's pretty obvious how common it is.

Zardnaar

Legend
Of the world population, perhaps, though I would be interested in a source. It's a much higher percentage the however when you look at younger people and specific national groups - both men and women are taller than they used to be, and only aging populations (who also get shorter, note, with age) are keeping the average height as low as it is.

Statistically that's unlikely even based on 0.7%, unless you're a real homebody or live in a nation with below-average heights (which you might, of course). Guessing you're not in Northern or Central Europe?

Anyway, living in a big city in Europe it's pretty obvious how common it is.

I'm in New Zealand. I think the Dutch are the tallest. I've probably walked past women of similar height but you're not comparing notes in that scenario.

Remove ads