Baldurs Gate 3

cmad1977

Hero
I’m seriously impressed with the game. The 3D nature of the environments is amazing. I’m haven’t found the “free disengage” all that powerful. Mildly useful but it’s ultimately a small concession to the medium of play. Honestly, the environment and game feel more D&D than other games before despite the rules concessions.

And I love Pool or Radiance!

Also: if n my experience “eating food to heal in combat”, while technically possibly, I’ve found woefully inefficient and ineffective. You eat food before fights happen not during.

Honestly, I find the Larian rules just their own house rules for a D&D game and I’m here for it so far. I’d rather do more than just punch things every fight.

Hell... in TT my players do things like... pushing people off cliffs/down wells etc. and credit to Larian.... the bad guys have done the same to my characters! Imagine my surprise when an NPC spell caster intentionally targeted a statue with the shatter spell and the statue collapsed upon and killed one of my party members. Well played AI.... well played.

Ixal

Hero
I find it hard to fault them for allowing for more creative, terrain or environment based solutions in combat. One of the main criticisms of CRPGs compared to tabletop games is that they don't allow you to think outside the box and attempt things other than the standard spells and attacks on your character sheet.

But it's been awhile since I last played, and I don't know how well they're doing at making these options balanced.

Its not really creative when this is done for every combat and it is really obvious what they want you to do.

Also: if n my experience “eating food to heal in combat”, while technically possibly, I’ve found woefully inefficient and ineffective. You eat food before fights happen not during.
Some, still common, food items are twice as effective as healing potions (4d4 healing).

Ixal

Hero
Is it true that this one is turn-based? I might actually be able to finish this one.
Yes, its turn based.

You might also want to look at Solasta which released recently. Its also turn based D&D 5E and much closer to the tabletop rules than BG3.

Yes, its turn based.

You might also want to look at Solasta which released recently. Its also turn based D&D 5E and much closer to the tabletop rules than BG3.
Solasta is due to exit early access on 27th of May. Although both based on 5e and both turn-based they are actually quite different takes, with Solasta being a tactical RPG (X-Com like) and BG3 being a story based RPG. Which most closely resembles your home game depends on what sort of table you play at.

Remove ads