Baldur's Gate Designer Leaves Bioware To Form D&D Publishing Company

James Ohlen was one of the architects of the 1990s' Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II video games, along with other classic CRPGs. He has been working for BioWare for over 22 years, but now he's leaving to publish D&D adventures with his new company, Arcanum Worlds and their first hardcover sourcebook, the Ancient Greek themed Odyssey of the Dragonlords.

James Ohlen was one of the architects of the 1990s' Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II video games, along with other classic CRPGs. He has been working for BioWare for over 22 years, but now he's leaving to publish D&D adventures with his new company, Arcanum Worlds and their first hardcover sourcebook, the Ancient Greek themed Odyssey of the Dragonlords.

PlayersGuidePreview.png

He's not alone, either. He's joined by Jesse Sky (Star Wars: The Old Republic). Their website announced their first project, "... a hardcover sourcebook for the fifth edition of the world's greatest roleplaying game. This epic adventure is set in a fantasy world inspired by Ancient Greek mythology."

Ohlen announced this new venture in a series of tweets.

"After 22 years I have retired from BioWare. I've loved my time with Anthem, Star Wars, Dragon Age and Dungeons and Dragons. But I need to take a break from the industry and work on something a little smaller and more personal.. The most fun I've ever had at BioWare was as the lead designer on Baldur's Gate 1+2 and NWN. I've been a D&D fanatic since I was 10 years old and I want to be a part of it again. Please visit http://www.arcanumworlds.com to see what I'm talking about.

The first book I'm working on is called Odyssey of the Dragonlords. I'm working on it with another former Creative Director from BioWare - Jesse Sky. Plus a mystery writer that I've worked with before."

Game Informer says that BioWare's founders, Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk, originally heard of Ohlen when he was running a comic book store and running two legendary D&D campaigns so popular that they had waiting lists.

Ohlen's credits include Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age: Origins, Baldur's Gate I & II, Knights of the Old Republic, and Star Wars: The Old Republic. Jesse Sky worked on Star Wars: The Old Republic, along with threeexpansions.

And who's this mystery writer? They say "We're excited to be working with one of our good friends, a very talented author who lives here in Austin, TX. Stay tuned - we will be announcing his name at a later date!"
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
That is a fine list of some of my very favorite PC games. I'm sad he won't be involved with the next Dragon Age game, but will definitely keep an eye on this.

icedrake

Explorer
Wait, he's leaving the video game industry... for the RPG industry? That seems like a backwards move, but I'm hopefull this signals a surge in awareness and popularity for paper & pencil tabletop gaming. And not just D&D, but niche RPGs from smaller companies.

VS

If he's been there since BG1, he's likely a double digit employee, which means he had stock options or equity that got turned into cash when EA bought Bioware. He's likely retiring and a group of friends are working on joint RPG projects they've been working on again / off again for years and getting it ready for publication.

The future of entertainment industry is the IP or franchises. In the right hands a forgotten tittle can become a blockbuster in the cinemas or a saga of videogames. A videogame study can break and close, but if a title is a success and popular among the fans, then it may come back by other company.

dinsdale

Stalked by a giant hedgehog
BTW, for anyone who goes to their website and tries to sign up for notifications (and the players' guide when available), the email confirmation link you receive may be broken and needs to have a period inserted between "manage" and "com". I've notified the site.

Tsuga C

Adventurer
BioWare hasn't been BioWare since they merged with EA--EAWare, is more like it. *grumbles resentfully*

I didn't have a gaming computer when the BG/BG2/Planescape computer-based videogames were all the rage. I did pick one up in time to enjoy the Neverwinter Nights series and I found them (and many of the home brew modules) very entertaining. I wish Mr. Ohlen and his associates every success.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
BioWare hasn't been BioWare since they merged with EA--EAWare, is more like it. *grumbles resentfully*

I didn't have a gaming computer when the BG/BG2/Planescape computer-based videogames were all the rage. I did pick one up in time to enjoy the Neverwinter Nights series and I found them (and many of the home brew modules) very entertaining. I wish Mr. Ohlen and his associates every success.

Lately I've been scared that EA would shutter Bioware. After Andromeda I think it's been pretty tense over there. If Anthem doesn't do well...

Tsuga C

Adventurer
EA has a proven track record of gobbling up other video game creators and running them into the ground. I'm genuinely surprised that EAWare--oops, BioWare--has lasted as long as they have as an in-house design studio. Time will tell, but I believe they'll be gone within five years.

Remove ads

Remove ads