Ban edition war baiting in sigs and status lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
If you see a sig that you think is a problem, just report the post and specify the sig in the comment box. (Just use the button in the lower left of the post block.) The mods will take a look at it and decide if they think it's a problem or not. If they don't think it's a problem though, you may not here anything back from them. They can be rather busy, and can't always respond back on everything. If you really want an explanation of why they don't have a sig changed, just pm one of them and they'll usually get you an answer. At least as long as your respectful about it.

Also, in order to get the thread moved to Meta, just pm a mod and ask them. They'll probably agree that this should be in Meta.

Correction - The mods online at any given time are listed at the bottom of any forum page, such as: General RPG Discussion. Just click on one of the names and pm (private message) them.

:cool:

Last edited:

Bluenose

Adventurer
The best way to end the edition wars is to ban discussion of DnD, d20, and Fantasy Roleplaying Games on Enworld.

Short of that, almost any topic can be turned into a flame war about which publication did it best.

Hey, that's insulting to people who want to have a flame war about Science Fiction RPGs. And come to think of it, WoD games, and Shadowrun, and Paranoia, and....

Discussion should be banned. Except discussion about discussion should be allowed, since that's meta.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
If you see a sig that you think is a problem, just report the post and specify the sig in the comment box. (Just use the button in the lower left of the post block.) The mods will take a look at it and decide if they think it's a problem or not. If they don't think it's a problem though, you may not here anything back from them. They can be rather busy, and can't always respond back on everything. If you really want an explanation of why they don't have a sig changed, just pm one of them and they'll usually get you an answer. At least as long as your respectful about it.

Bingo! Couldn't have said it better myself.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
There really are no more than a dozen people at EN World who actively engage in edition wars on either side and make the boards unfriendly. If you add them to your ignore list, EN World gets a lot more fun, friendly and productive. Seriously.

I won't name names, but if everyone IL'd this dirty dozen (and they are hard to miss), I bet there wouldn't be very much overlap in our lists.

There was a recent thread where someone complained about how quickly an edition war started in that thread and I was about to reply "what are you talking about?" when I realized I couldn't see any of the offending posts because they were on my dirty dozen ignore list. It was nice to learn the system works! B-)

Hey, that's insulting to people who want to have a flame war about Science Fiction RPGs. And come to think of it, WoD games, and Shadowrun, and Paranoia, and....

Discussion should be banned. Except discussion about discussion should be allowed, since that's meta.

I like flame wars about WoD, so I excluded it hoping no one would notice. Curses!

HealTheSquad

First Post
Don't get me wrong, I acutally like edition wars. But I only want to see them in edition-warry threads.

This sig abuse is very annoying. rather like Chinese water torture. The individual drips may be harmless (and too minor to Report ) but after reading the "tales of the limited staircase" dig for the 1000th time, and on every single thread where this guy posts, it gets a little wearing.

Maybe I'll just switch off sigs. Then all I'll have to deal with are the "stunned till 5e" type status lines ;)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Every post these folks make is a mini edition war on its own!

No, they don't. It takes two to tango - you can't have a war with only one side, and most people choose to simply ignore the crass people.

Time for a ban?

Probably not - if we were going to ban such things outright, we would have done it years ago, ad the height of edition warring. We found a policy of changing individual problematic sigs was far more effective and supportable than a general ban.

As an interesting aside, haven't seen anything of the sort making digs at other editions or games.

Oh, they're there. Over time, we've had to ask several people to change their sigs, and they have appeared on both sides of the line, and across different lines of war than editions.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Oh, maybe Im' not hip or something, but what does "tales of the limited staircase" mean?

It's a quote from someone here on the boards from several years ago I copied into my sig. Back in 2e AD&D, there was a Planescape module called "Tales from the Infinite Staircase". Given a comparison of the 1e/2e/3e cosmology to the 4e cosmology, and the design ethos thereof, the joke was made about the 4e version being "tales from the limited staircase".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads