D&D 5E Ban Variant-Human! Impact?

Zardnaar

Legend
As to the OP...

Does variant human break anything?

what I don't like is people griping about your experience. In your game it sounds like variant human is a problem.

In our games it simply is not.

What I like about variant human is that it helps me realize a variety of concepts.

I like Blade pact warlocks but don't always want to take hexblade.

I recently have been playing a cleric 1 warlock 6. It's celestial pact. I took toughness as my level one feat to offset my 12 con. I play him like a Gandalf that fights a lot and is an emissary for an angel from the 7 heavens.

Overpowered? No. With point buy I needed at least a 13 wisdom and charisma plus strength.

In his and so many other concept builds, variant human can take pressure off of a point buy build to do something new and suboptimal.

I use feats to move "suboptimal" variety to at least average effectiveness.

If you have people "running the table" with variant human, that attitude and not the feat is the issue.

Consider that. Most who use variant human want fun and not to break the game. Variety is good. Most restriction is a homogenizer.

Our party has 2'variant humans, a half elf, half orc and a halfling.

I kick ass surely but am not more powerful than any race of Paladin...

You picked a sub par feat with a sub par mc build.

3E worked fine at a casual level to. Then you get a level 6+ Druid rock on up with natural spell.

You're not playing the game wrong if you're having fun.

But some feats are OP and if you read some guides the same ones turn up again and again.

Some people go out if their way to abuse feats, others kind if stumble into it.

You could play 3E as well and not abuse it and it worked well enough for the time. Actually worked better that way.

Ashrym

Legend
@Esker I almost never take expertise in stealth. I find natural DEX and proficiency plus reliable talent walks all over most passive perception.

As for the number of attacks, 2-3 rounds at 1-2 attacks per round, 8 encounters. I like TWF on rogues, and I also like actually using cunning action and fast hands.

As for skill checks, I'm the kind of player who swings from the chandelier, slices the drapes on the way by to cover the guards, tackles the evil vizier out the window, the grapple holding his head under the moat or a horse trough so he can't cast spells. I get called make checks as often as I can think of ways that might get me called to make a check. ;)

Zardnaar

Legend
@Esker I almost never take expertise in stealth. I find natural DEX and proficiency plus reliable talent walks all over most passive perception.

As for the number of attacks, 2-3 rounds at 1-2 attacks per round, 8 encounters. I like TWF on rogues, and I also like actually using cunning action and fast hands.

As for skill checks, I'm the kind of player who swings from the chandelier, slices the drapes on the way by to cover the guards, tackles the evil vizier out the window, the grapple holding his head under the moat or a horse trough so he can't cast spells. I get called make checks as often as I can think of ways that might get me called to make a check. ;)

Perception and thieves tools IMHO.

Ashrym

Legend
Perception and thieves tools IMHO.
I don't usually bother with expertise in thieves' tools either. We just take extra time to do it out of combat and it doesn't come up in combat. Traps are riskier but healing fixes that. Traps are definitely a place where I feel it skipping that expertise at times.

What I take expertise in is based on the type of character I'm envisioning.

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't usually bother with expertise in thieves' tools either. We just take extra time to do it out of combat and it doesn't come up in combat. Traps are riskier but healing fixes that. Traps are definitely a place where I feel it skipping that expertise at times.

What I take expertise in is based on the type of character I'm envisioning.

I would probably leave that to the second set of expertise. Only rogues can expertise tools as a class so yeah.

Ashrym

Legend
I would probably leave that to the second set of expertise. Only rogues can expertise tools as a class so yeah.

Just because only rogues can do it doesn't imply rogues must or should do it. I've taken proficiency in thieves' tools from the backgrounds on fighters, rangers, bards, warlocks, and monks. So long as I have decent DEX to go with the proficiency I'm generally okay. Not as okay as the rogue with expertise, of course, but generally okay. DEX fighters, rangers, and monks are no worse off than the non-expertise rogue. Bards and warlocks were both riskier because of the CHA priority over DEX.

Remove ads