D&D 5E Barbarian Fighting Styles

Stormonu

Legend
So, working through a bunch of homebrew rules and it got me wondering - why don't Barbarians get fighting styles? Would it make them too powerful (I can't see that being the case...). What fighting styles would work for them? What level would be good - 2nd, 3rd or perhaps 4th?

I'm thinking the following would be appropriate:
Two-weapon (hand axe and club)
Two-handed (classic Conan)
Archery (Possibly for a Native American-style hunter)
Thrown (spears, axes and the like)
Unarmed (bear wrestler, et. al)

Your thoughts?

Maybe WoTC thought a Heavy Bruiser Great Sword Barbarian would be scary with Great Weapon Fighting Style and certain Subclasses. That or the idea of Barbarian(s) not being disciplined enough to learn formal techniques is how they pictures it.

In AiME, a Slayer's(Barbarian's) Fury (Rage) can be flavored as Pure Rage OR as Battle Clarity/Calm/Bullet Time. In DND, it's flavored as Hulk Smash/wouldn't like me when I'm Angry. Ditto if you have a PC Barbarian with the Zealot/Berserker Subclass.

That being said: the Fighting Styles you listed seem like obvious choices with the addition of Polearms.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
why don't Barbarians get fighting styles?
I think it is the idea that barbarians are too wild to learn or stick to a formal fighting style.

The 3 main D&D images for a barbarian is the warrior of an "uncivlized" tribe, the berserker full of rage, or the warrior channeling a spirit.

Would it make them too powerful (I can't see that being the case...).

It would make them more powerful but not OP. It would b more like a bonus feat. And really only GWF synergizes with barbarians enough to be a real power boost.However I wouldn't give to to barbarians for free if the party has other warrior types in it.

I would maybe give them a feat if you think they need any help, but thematically, I don't think a 'style' really fits a barbarian. I think the concept really in base PHB is centered around Reckless Attack and Unarmored Defense - you're just a guy who goes into a berserk state and runs amok.

But there are plenty of ways to go in a homebrew setting. Right now, PCs in my game are facing off with arctic (wood) elves based on mobility and speed - that plus the fact they've turned to the worship of Yeenoghu the Hungerer for extra powers terrifies everyone

Li Shenron

Legend
I don't remember if Barbarian had a Fighting Style at any point during DnDNext playtests, but the fact that in the PHB the other 3 martial classes got one and Barbarian didn't, can be a sign that it was a balance decision.

Daraniya

Explorer
I'd love more 'fighting styles' that could be used to create a martial type that could go toe-to-toe with mages without all the 'adding chi/ki' like a monk. I'm thinking of an 'inigo montoya' type "I'm not left handed", or "you're using blah defense or offense because of terrain, armor, etc"

7th Sea does have some ideas about martial techniques. Always liked the idea of a fighter who eschews magic because he's just a badass... just them and a sword, or dagger...

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I prefer to go with a slightly different take on the base concept of the class rather than just add a different feature in isolation, simply because I feel like it offers more flavor to try and make the differentiation have a thematic basis than just "my barbarian is a really good fighter." Something like the Urban Barbarian or the Path of the Bear Mauler.

Please note my use of affiliate links in this post.

Remove ads