D&D 5E Barding for War Dogs; 6000gp for Plate Barding???

seebs

Adventurer
The rules state that "barding is four times that of similar armor for humanoids". Period. But what about for a dog? While I agree that it would take considerable time to craft such armor, the materials needed would be considerably less than that for a medium humanoid. Yes, it might be difficult to find someone willing to do such an armor in small or medium towns, but any large city or castle would probably have an armorer who makes such for the dogs of the Lord or City. Regardless, the 4x multiplier for all barding seems to be a simplistic rule, specifically for horses. Otherwise, Barding for an elephant would be the same as for a horse. Thoughts?
My thought: It probably costs much more to get dog armor, not because it's harder to make or because it uses a lot of materials, but because anything marketed to pet owners is just automatically going to be Super Nice And Fancy because pet owners are suckers.

Weiley31

Legend
1667504606527.png

1667504627000.png

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
It’s not the materials cost, it’s the time spent trying to get the dog to stand still for the fitting.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Turns out the "tail visor" needed to enable tactical battlefield butt-sniffery is a pretty complex - and therefore expensive - piece of engineering.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
an English mastiff can go 200 - 230lbs which would allow a weight of 50 - 60lbs - the average Halfling is 40 lb (plus 20lb armour)
The largest dog I have ever seen/touched was a 210 lbs mastif in good, not great, shape. The owner told me that is father as 220-230lbs, but it had to get down to 185lbs to breed. So just because we have dogs that 200-300lbs doesn't mean that they should or that it is a healthy weight.

Last edited:

Remove ads