• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bear Warrior

sledged

First Post
In the Complete Warrior, the bear warrior's bear form ability states A bear warrior's only limit on the number of times per day he can assume a bear form is the number of times per day he enters a rage or frenzy. Then later on in the descriptions of the bear types it says at first level a bear warrior can assume bear form once per day, at 5th level twice per day, and at 10th level three times per day.

So which is it? Is it the number of times he can rage? A fixed number of time determined by his class level? or a combination of the two?

I rules you can only shape into a bear 1 time each five levels of bear warrior ;)
I hope that helps

I made one bearwarrior at 25level for a campaign with 108 ST and 76 Con with all power up.
Minotaur halfdeep dragon barbarian1/bearwarrior9/frenzied berseker1/berserk1/warshaper2.
all rages stacks :cool:

Last edited:

sledged

First Post
Ok, I give. How did you get it up to 108 and 76? (I'm assuming when you say 25th level, you mean ECL 25. I tend to avoid anything with level adjustments or racial HD.)

This is what I get:

Str = 18 + 8 (minotar) + 8 (half dragon) + 4 (barbarian 1) + 16 (bear warrior 9) + 6 (frenzied berzerker 1) + 6 (berzerk 1) + 4 (warshaper 2) + 4 (levels 8, 12, 16, and 20) + 5 (wishes) + 6 (belt of giant strength) + 2 (permanently enlarged) = 87

Con = 18 + 4 (minotar) + 2 (half dragon) + 4 (barbarian 1) + 8 (bear warrior 9) + 6 (berzerk 1) + 4 (warshaper 2) + 5 (wishes) + 6 (amulet of health) = 57

What's missing?

BTW, unless you're using a house rule the rages and frenzies can't all stack:

"the ability score bonuses granted by rage or frenzy are replaced by Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution bonuses apporpriate to the bear form taken..."
- Complete Warrior, pg 16, second column, bear form (su)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm eagerly awaiting an answer on the original question, because it's a clear contradiction. Anyone know of any errata?

sledged

First Post
On a minor note, I've noticed that the sample bear warrior's primary and secondary natural attacks have been switched. His claws do half Str bonus damage, and his bite does full Str bonus damage. It should be the other way around.

Pax

Banned
Banned
Oscar carramiñana said:
I made one bearwarrior at 25level for a campaign with 108 ST and 76 Con with all power up.
Minotaur halfdeep dragon barbarian1/bearwarrior9/frenzied berseker1/berserk1/warshaper2.
all rages stacks
Simply. Not. Possible.

Sorry, and I mean no offense, but a 108 in any attribute requires (a) more than 25thlevel, (b) epic level spells, and/or (c) far more than what you've listed here, in the way of obscure attribute boosters and enhancers.

sledged said:
Str = 18 + 8 (minotar) + 8 (half dragon) + 4 (barbarian 1) + 16 (bear warrior 9) + 6 (frenzied berzerker 1) + 6 (berzerk 1) + 4 (warshaper 2) + 4 (levels 8, 12, 16, and 20) + 5 (wishes) + 6 (belt of giant strength) + 2 (permanently enlarged) = 87
You've got a few things wrong yourself. First off, the benefits from Bear Warrior *replaces* the benefits form Rage or Frenzy (IMO, the BW's choice). Thus, the +4 from Barbarian(1) is no longer in effect. Further, an ECL 25 Half-dragon Minotaur has a Level Adjustment of +6, so this character has 19 hit dice. Thus, while the +4 from level is a correct total, those modifiers are for 4th, 8th, 12th, and 16thlevels - not 8th to 20th as you state (sorry to nitpick, but it means the character is only ONE level/HD form another attribute increase). ^_^ Sadly, the Belt of Giant strength is useless - the Bear Warrior benefit is an enhancement bonus, and so is the Belt ... thus, they don't stack.

So, based on that, I get [ 18/base +4/level +5/inherent +16/enhancement +6/frenzy +4/morphic +2/size +8/half-drgaon +8/minotaur = ] 71 in total. Which leaves no less than thirty-eight points unaccounted for.

As for Constitution, I also note similar errors in Sledge's accounting (mainly bonus-stacking issues); I come up with a 47 total (the belt and bear warrior enhancements don't stack, and the bear warrior benefits still *replace*, not stack with, those of Rage).

ruleslawyer

Pax said:
Simply. Not. Possible.

Sorry, and I mean no offense, but a 108 in any attribute requires (a) more than 25thlevel, (b) epic level spells, and/or (c) far more than what you've listed here, in the way of obscure attribute boosters and enhancers.
Well, he could have access to an epic buff. He didn't say there wasn't a 25th-level caster in the party too...
Sadly, the Belt of Giant strength is useless - the Bear Warrior benefit is an enhancement bonus, and so is the Belt ... thus, they don't stack.
Was this in errata? Because the Complete Warrior that I have lists the bear warrior bonuses without names; that, AFAIK, means that they are unnamed bonuses.

Since a 25th-level character has 2.1 million gp, a belt of epic strength +12 is affordable, albeit expensive (1.44 million gp). An item of righteous might is also affordable (360,000 gp), if you're willing to spend the cash and your DM allows custom items.

So let's retotal:
18 (base) +4 (level) +5 inherent (wishes) +16 (bear form) +12 enhancement (epic belt of strength) +6 (frenzy) +4 (morphic) +8 (size) +8 (half-dragon) +8 (minotaur) = Str 89. If the berserk PrC actually gives a separate +6 Str bonus, then we're up to 95, still 13 short. If enlarge person and righteous might stack, we're up to 97, or 11 points short. IMHO, this shortfall is probably covered by the following:

1) You think you've gotten an extra +1 levelup increase, for 98 total
2) You have a belt of strength +14 (1.96 million), for 100 total (though this puts the item of RM into question)
3) You think you get the rage bonus from barbarian, for 104 total
4) You misread the BW class description to think you get dire bear form at 10th level, for a total of 108

There you have it.

Chun-tzu

First Post
sledged said:
So which is it? Is it the number of times he can rage? A fixed number of time determined by his class level? or a combination of the two?

Well, the Bear Warrior first appeared in Oriental Adventures, and the original 3.0 text does not have that line about number of transformations being limited by number of times he can rage. In the 3.0 version, it was limited by levels (once a day at level 1, twice a day at level 4...).

That suggests to me that they intended to change it to number of times he can rage, and the editing was sloppy and they didn't remove the contradictory text.

Pax said:
Simply. Not. Possible.

You've got a few things wrong yourself. First off, the benefits from Bear Warrior *replaces* the benefits form Rage or Frenzy (IMO, the BW's choice). Thus, the +4 from Barbarian(1) is no longer in effect. Further, an ECL 25 Half-dragon Minotaur has a Level Adjustment of +6, so this character has 19 hit dice. Thus, while the +4 from level is a correct total, those modifiers are for 4th, 8th, 12th, and 16thlevels - not 8th to 20th as you state (sorry to nitpick, but it means the character is only ONE level/HD form another attribute increase). ^_^ Sadly, the Belt of Giant strength is useless - the Bear Warrior benefit is an enhancement bonus, and so is the Belt ... thus, they don't stack.

So, based on that, I get [ 18/base +4/level +5/inherent +16/enhancement +6/frenzy +4/morphic +2/size +8/half-drgaon +8/minotaur = ] 71 in total. Which leaves no less than thirty-eight points unaccounted for.

As for Constitution, I also note similar errors in Sledge's accounting (mainly bonus-stacking issues); I come up with a 47 total (the belt and bear warrior enhancements don't stack, and the bear warrior benefits still *replace*, not stack with, those of Rage).

Look this then: :cool:
Better hit points attack and damage

minotaur halfdeepdragon barbarian1/bearwarrior5/frenzied berseker1/berserk1/warshaper1.

Books: core, Faerun suplements, Deities & demigods,expanded psionics.

feats
powerattack
cleave
combat reflexes
intimidating rage
destructive rage
instantaneous rage

stats
S18 race+8 temp+8 LevelA+2 +5inh +6item +Anim gro+8 +16 BW +6 FB +6 B +20 psi total103 +46bonus
D18 +6item Anim gro-2 total22
C18 race+4 temp+2+5inh+6item +Anim gro4 +8 BW +6 B +20 psi total=73 +31bonus
I12 race-4 temp+2+6item -15psi total 1
w12 +6item -8psi total 10
c12 race-2 temp+2+6item-17 psi total1

hit points: 82 average+465 Con bonus+80 nat avatar=627

belt+6 to all stats 200000
amulet mighty fists+5 200000
+5 books to St & Con 275000
rune of psychofeeback 2 charges caster level20 10000gps
rune animalgrowth casterlevel 20 5000
rune nature favor caster lvl 20 3000
rune nature avatar casterlvl20 9000
items total704000

Attack 15 base +46 ST +5 amulet +10 nat avat +10 nat fav -3size -15 PA total +68
grapple 15 base +46 ST +5 amulet +10 nat avat +10 nat fav +8size -15 PA total +79
+68 with2+1 haste claws damage 2d6+48ST +10 nat fav +10 nat avat + 15PA = 77+2d6 *3=249 average
+63 with +65 with bite damage 2d8+24ST +10 nat fav +10 nat avat+15 PA =59+2d8 67 average
+63 gore damage 2d6 +24ST +10 nat fav +10 nat avat+15 PA =59+2d6 65 average

damage in full attack 249+67+65 total 381 hit points per round

This pc is only 20lvl at 25 lvl the st upgrades 6 points more for an epic item 2 points more from level advancement for a total of 111ST. :cool:

enjoy it

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads