OSR BECMI, how do you say it?

Voadam

Legend
Beck-Me.

I am used to adding vowels to acronyms to turn them into useable words.

RCRA, Rick Ruh (Resource Conservation and Recovery Act)

UMTRCA, Um Trick-Uh (Uranium Mine Tailings Control Act).

HMTA, Humptuh (Hazardous Materials Transportation Act).

It was always interesting going to conferences and hearing others' different pronunciations. EPA attorney you are wrong, the Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act is not Smack Rah, it is Smick Ruh.

It is a bit like joining a new D&D group.

"A Suh-WAH-Gin climbs aboard the side of the ship."

"A what?"

"Suh-WAH-Gin. You know, Suh-WAH-Gin. Shark dudes, the sea devils."

"Oh! A Sah-Who-Again! Gotcha."

Haiku Elvis

Knuckle-dusters, glass jaws and wooden hearts.
I believe the usual spoken form outside of forums where the technical jargon proliferates was always -
"You know Basic, Expert, the C One - Companion or Champion or whatever, and then the others,what were they called? we never got that far as we switched to AD&D, wasn't there one where you're like space gods at level 36 or something?"

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I believe the usual spoken form outside of forums where the technical jargon proliferates was always -
"You know Basic, Expert, the C One - Companion or Champion or whatever, and then the others,what were they called? we never got that far as we switched to AD&D, wasn't there one where you're like space gods at level 36 or something?"
More than the switch to AD&D, people still mostly wrap up their 5E campaigns st the top end of Expert Levels to this day.

GreyLord

Legend
I pronounce it...BX with that additional Companion and Master's book from some other people tossed in...

I jest (well..mostly).

I use both BECMI and BECMI.

:)

PS (jesting) - or is that BXMI (Bexmi)?

PPS: Or for today's group who use the RC...would that be RCI (Rookie)???

Riley

Legend
I used to call it Mentzer Basic or Red Box Basic… but eventually went along with everyone else around me who started calling it Beckme.

But I’m only in a “younger generation” relative to those who cut their teeth on OD&D or 1970’s AD&D.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Eh, it has changed over the years.

Prior to 2000, what we now know as BECMI was just "D&D" to me (as distinct from "AD&D" - and I didn't really differentiate AD&D 1e vs 2e). I had run into the Moldvay B/X boxes but I just considered them early printings of the same game as the BECMI boxes.

With the WotC release of 3e in 2000, "D&D" for me usually referred to 3e (and then 3.5e) - 1e and 2e were still "AD&D" and what we now know as BECMI was "Classic D&D" (I still didn't differentiate B/X). I did know about "White Box" and "Brown Box" et al, and those were the names they went by.

Sometime during COVID, I was asked to run a 5e game, and at that point I used "D&D" and "5e" interchangeably to refer to the "current in print version" of the game post-2020. I also used "3e" and "3.5e" and "4e" instead of "D&D" to refer to previous editions and "1e" and "2e" to refer to AD&D editions (though in my mind those are still differentiated only by printing dates/art styles and are more or less the same game). If I'm referring to BECMI I might call it "Boxed Sets D&D" or "BECMI" depending on the age of the person I'm conversing with ("Boxed Sets D&D" is for Gen Z and younger who are too young to remember it being in print, while "BECMI" is generally what I use with older folks, especially those who actually played it while it was in print). The first time I discuss "BECMI" with one of these older folks it will almost always be "Basic/Expert/Companion/Masters/Immortals Boxed Sets from the early 80's" and then I'll explain the "Beck-Me" abbreviation and use that with them in subsequent references unless they say "Beck-Me" first.

Remove ads