log in or register to remove this ad

 

Before the Rise of Tiamat

gnarlygninja

Explorer
"Is there any problem food can't help with? Wish I still had a spot of cake left though. And a few sausages. Oh well, take what Yondalla's cornucopia provides I suppose." Lyle sighs contentedly and lets out a loud burp.
"Right, I bet those Kobolds will scatter before a group this large. The back door it is."

 

log in or register to remove this ad

Envisioner

Explorer
The lies of Lyle and Grimnir get the crowd ready to run for it; suddenly the commotion outside falls to a dull roar, except for a shouted command you can't quite make out, and then a sudden crash at the front door, which visibly cracks and splinters at the impact. Clearly, the time has come; Aiden throws open the back door and the three of you rush out, taking up a defensive position while the two dozen or so civilians dash past and begin fanning out toward the keep. The kobolds begin chasing after the fleeing noncombatants, as is typical of their cowardly impulses, but the three cultists with their two "pets" immediately orient on all of you.

(Initiative one more time guys. You're facing five total combatants, two of which are leashed to three others, although that probably won't last past the first round. And since your goal is to protect the civilians more than it is to beat the villains, who are after all only one group out of a swarm overrunning the whole town, you shouldn't be afraid to make a fighting retreat out of this rather than standing your ground. Even without the kobolds, this is a fairly overwhelming force you're dealing with, as the Ambush Drakes are CR 1/2 each and the cultists boost that still more.)
 




gargoyleking

Adventurer
So I'm hoping to drop a thunderwave. But of course, my init roll was weak. Hopefully there'll be an opening for Mornok to wade into.
 

Envisioner

Explorer
OOC: Coyote Code appears to be down, so I'll roll physical dice:
Cultist in black armor: 1d20+1 = 13
Green ambush drake: 1d20+2 = 3
Cultist in purple armor: 1d20+1 = 19
Red ambush drake: 1d20+2 = 11
Cultist in gold robes: 1d20+1 = 21

Fudging one of those numbers just a tad for the sake of the flavor text I've written below. Mornok can take an action before the cultist in purple has his full turn, but we'll pretend he had a readied action or something, so that he can do what I felt like describing him doing.


The less armored-looking of the cultists isn't holding the leash of one of the fearsome-looking drakes; instead, he pulls an odd-looking instrument out of his gold-fringed black robe, blowing a mighty blast on it while falling back to get out of the drakes' way. The beasts are clearly eager to attack Mornok and Lyle, probably because they're still bleeding from fresh wounds, but the cultist who's wearing purple-tinged leathers wrangles his red-scaled drake over toward Grimnir, since he's clearly standing with the most confidence and power (on account of his full hit points). Fortunately, the storm cleric has a moment to respond before the cultist can release his creature's leash and free it to attack.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
As he comes out of the temple running, Grimnir senses the cultist with gold frayed robes has his eye on him, and the dwarf instinctually points a finger at him.

”Umberlee take you,” he mutters, and a splash of magical water erupts from the cleric’s fingertip.

OOC: Casting the Sacred Flame cantrip at the cultist. Target needs to make a DC14 Dex saving throw or take 1d8 radiant damage.

Sacred Flame damage: 1D8 = [3] = 3
 



Envisioner

Explorer
Though mortally wounded by Lyle's arrow, the seeming leader of the cultist group has enough wind left in his lungs that as he falls, he blows mightily on the weird instrument he's holding. Oddly, it makes almost no audible noise, just a faint high-pitched hiss - but the two ambush drakes appear go absolutely berserk at the sound, snarling and leaping and straining at their chains - which the two remaining cultists then release.

(will finish this later)
 

Envisioner

Explorer
The green drake charges toward Grimnir, while the red one orients on Mornok, who has a chance to react before it strikes. Grimnir however is unable to do anything before the beast leaps at him.

CoyoteCode Dice Roller

And it misses him by a mile. Mornok is up.
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Mornok steps up intle the middle of the melee, making sure not to leave his allies in range but coming into melee range of as many enemies as possible. Then he draws forth all of the air in the immediate vicinity before unleashing it upon those around him in a single thunderous moment.

Thunderwave: 2d8 11 DC 13 Con save or take 11 thunder damage and a 10 ft push. He'll hit as many as he can, but won't let Lyle or Grimnir take the hit.
 

Envisioner

Explorer
Finding it hard to follow our initiative order, so let's put it all in one post. Also I got the colors wrong in my earlier post about the drakes, just switch red for green and it's correct.

Cultist in gold robes: 1d20+1 = 21
Grimnir = 20
Cultist in purple armor: 1d20+1 = 19
Lyle = 16
Cultist in black armor: 1d20+1 = 13
Red ambush drake: 1d20+2 = 11
Mornok = 6
Green ambush drake: 1d20+2 = 3

CoyoteCode Dice Roller
CoyoteCode Dice Roller

The two drakes' keen instincts warn them of approaching disaster, and they brace themselves against Mornok's thunderblast, taking 3 damage each and holding their position. Their handlers fare less well however; the one who was still holding the green drake's chain is sent flying with such force that he drags the heavy creature with him for 5 feet before losing his hold, and the other one is bowled completely head over heels before faceplanting into the dirt. Both men make a very satisfying thump when they hit the ground, and are out of commission.

The green drake whirls from Grimnir to Mornok, clearly intelligent enough to identify him as the source of the blast, and charges.

CoyoteCode Dice Roller
CoyoteCode Dice Roller

Unlike his ruddy counterpart (both of them are kinda greenish really, this one just has fewer scarlet highlights on the fins and such), the green drake succeeds in pouncing upon Mornok, striking with considerable force and thoroughly knocking the wind out of the wizard, who barely manages to keep his feet.

Lyle and Grimnir may act in any order before the other drake is up again.
 



JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Rushing to his friend's side, Grimnir roars as he swings his warhammer at the drake that assaults Mornok. He manages to connect with immense force, as if Umberlee herself guides the weapon against the offending creature.

OOC: Move: To Grimnir and the green drake.

Attack: The drake: warhammer: 1D20+5 = [20]+5 = 25
1D8+3 = [4]+3 = 7

extra damage for crit: 1D8 = [6] = 6

If needed, use Reaction to use the Wrath of the Storm feature upon being hit by a melee attack.

Hp: 11/11
Wrath of the Storm: 2/4 left before Long Rest
Spell slots (1st level): 0/2 left before Long Rest
 

Envisioner

Explorer
CoyoteCode Dice Roller

The drake makes another attack on Grimnir, but doesn't even begin to get through his armor. As the last standing foe versus the trio, the creature doesn't last long even though it has quite a few HP; ultimately, it is beaten into submission.

In the meantime, the fleeing party of civilians have made it almost halfway to the keep; several more cultists are attempting to converge on them, but the populace has brought a few objects they can throw to dissuade these attackers. The kobolds have already dispersed, they seem not to want to tackle with a crowd of this side. But suddenly, you see another explanation for why the dragon rats might have gone into hiding - the broad-winged silhouette of the actual dragon is heading your way.
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Mornok takes off at a full dwarven hustle yelling at the top of his lungs.

"SCATTER!!! Th' bloody dragon's comin' split up an' get t' th'keep!
 

gnarlygninja

Explorer
Lyle briefly squeaks with terror at the sight of the dragon. "I can't believe I forgot about the dragon." He nudges a survivor and tries to shuffle them behind anything resembling cover as they run toward the keep. "I'm going to need a bigger bow."
 

Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top