Before the Rise of Tiamat

Envisioner

Explorer
OOC:
Ambush Drake etc. Inish Rolls: CoyoteCode Dice Roller
Anyone who won initiative is delaying until the rest of their group can act.

Leader Inish Roll: CoyoteCode Dice Roller

Stealth rolls: CoyoteCode Dice Roller

Leader Stealth: CoyoteCode Dice Roller

The intruders almost pull off their ambush, but one of them squeals with glee as the reptilian beast savages the poor guardsman. "Quiet!" a human voice hisses from inside the same room as the squeal, before realizing that his own voice carried a good bit more than he expected it to.

The quadruped creature slinks forward with a menacing throaty growl, like some freakish crossbreed of a leopard and a crocodile, its green scales glistening with the blood of its previous victim, a frill of skin-webbed neck spines laying flat against its neck as it crouches and advances toward Grimnir, the most obviously threatening of its potential victims. After a few halting steps, it suddenly bounds forward and snaps at the dwarf cleric with its red-stained teeth.

OOC: Hit roll: CoyoteCode Dice Roller

Oof, getting lots of 20s today....

Grimnir's armor is now missing a large chunk, and a fair bit of skin went with it. Could have been worse, but he definitely felt that.

OOC: Lyle and Grimnir are up; Mornok acts after the leader but before the rest of the intruders.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
As Grimnir prepares for the attack, he whispers a prayer to Umberlee under his breath. The ambush dragon manages to get through his defenses easily, however, but his goddess has apparently heard the dwarf's plea.

While ripping a piece of armor and skin off, a spark of lightning follows and fries the creature's mouth.

"That hurt," Grimnir growls, and his expression darkens. The priest drops his warhammer and while muttering a colourful seaman's curse he reaches out with his hand towards the drake's face. The touch seems to suck the life out of the drake and a wicked smile crosses the dwarf's face for a moment.

OOC: Reaction: Wrath of the Storm (when hit with an attack by a creature within 5 feet, as a reaction deal 2d8 lightning or thunder damage, Dex save DC14 for half damage):
Wrath of the Storm lightning damage: 2D8 = [7, 4] = 11

Action: Casting Inflict Wounds (melee spell attack, 3d10 necrotic damage) at the ambush drake:
Inflict Wounds: 1D20+6 = [11]+6 = 17
3D10 = [4, 7, 4] = 15

I'm having trouble piecing together the rolls you linked to. How many hp did that attack cost me?
Edit: Thanks for letting me know!

HP: 3/11
Wrath of the Storm: 3/4 left before Long Rest
Spell slots (1st level): 1/2 left before Long Rest

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
OOC: Rounding down, so yes, 5 from the Wrath of the Storm, and 15 from Inflict Wounds.
I'll update my post above for my current hp. Thanks!

gnarlygninja

Explorer
Lyle lets out a small scream of terror and takes a few panicked steps away from the monster, blindly firing his bow in the process. The arrow somehow strikes true, sinking into the creature's newly melted face. "I uh, meant to do that!"

OOC: I'm not sure if Lyle was within 5 feet of the lizard, he moves back just in case to avoid disadvantage on his attack.
_: 1D20+6 = [20]+6 = 26
Here's his attack roll

_: 4D6+4 = [1, 3, 3, 2]+4 = 13
critical hit with sneak attack

Envisioner

Explorer
OOC: You know that if you were in 5 feet, moving back would get you an opportunity attack, right? Nonetheless, you weren't, so you're fine.

The arrow sinks into the reptile's flank, and an immediate shower of gore proves that you've struck a major artery; before it can do so much as roar furiously, the massive saurian bleeds out and slumps over. Within a moment, however, a figure dressed in black robes steps around the corner from inside the room, stands back clear of the door, and holds up a single hand with the five fingers splayed awkwardly as far apart as they'll go, waving the hand in a sinuous pattern while droning several mystic syllables and then finally pointing at Lyle: "Drohmakh zankazha trierre khelverrek: FLEE!"

OOC: Lyle, roll your save versus Command
OOC: . Mornok, you're up.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
This didn't look good. The guard was being mauled and Grimnir looked much the worse for wear himself. And Lyle seemed unable to do anything but scream. Still, Mornok was a soldier and he knew his duty, even to a place like this.

First things first, raise the alarm. "ENEMY IN THE KEEP! Come on lads! Or they'll 'ave ye' fer' supper!"

Even as he roared his warning, the dwarf was acting on the second thing. Counterattack. Drawing his warhammer he charged the mage and took a powerful swipe at him. Unfortunately, he was in too much of a rush and the swing was likely to be easily deflected. Still, he had to give Grimnir a chance to recover and hopefully the defenders a chabce to rally.

Move and attack with a free object interaction to draw. Saving the reaction for either a shield spell if it's needed or an attack of opportunity if that becomes the prudent (and available) thing to do.

Warhammer: 1d20+6 12 1d8+4 10

Envisioner

Explorer
OOC: You didn't technically have to scream there Lyle; the spell doesn't cause any fear in you, it simply mechanically forces you to obey the order to run away. Everything other than your physical movements is unaffected, including your larynx since the order wasn't specific to vocalizing. But if your character is a little bit of a coward, the bloody business with the ambush drake was certainly uppermost in his mind, and his reaction might have been due to more than just the spell. We'll just call it roleplaying.

The spellcaster has no armor, and a bit of a glass jaw from the looks of it; one better-than-average whack from your warhammer is more than enough to put him out of commission. As he crumples, you notice he's wearing a cheap pewter pendant in the shape of a dragon; you didn't really notice before, but he might well have been touching this amulet when he cast his spell, since you weren't really paying attention to what his non-moving hand was doing at the time.

Now that he's the closest to the door, the inhabitants of the next room promptly orient on Mornok - four of the "dragon rats" as you so aptly called them earlier. The goblinish quasi-reptiles rush at you with their little knives at the ready; you could arm-wrestle at least two of them simultaneously without breaking a sweat, but they're certainly quick.

OOC: Since the Shield reaction is in play, and the kobolds' Pack Tactics makes a huge difference in how their attacks will work depending on whether they manage to put Mornok down and then proceed past him to Grimnir. I could use some advice as to how to handle this situation; I don't want to keep you guys waiting a super long time, but it really seems like I should maybe run the turns one at a time, and I am not sure whether I should make each hit roll before or after asking whether Shield is cast.

Remove ads