Before the Rise of Tiamat

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
OOC:
Shield spell said:
Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack

That means they could all attack Mornok and he'd have that +5 AC to all their attacks (but no Opportunity Attacks unless none of them would hit his base AC).

In that case you could roll all their attacks at the same time - unless you expect them to hit him for 8 damage long before all kobolds have taken a turn.

I'm no tactical genius; as a DM I play my NPCs in the manner I think befits their personality or nature. So that's all I got. :)

And obviously I don't want Mornok to go down in the second round of combat. In the first fight of the game.

Or at all. :p

gargoyleking

Adventurer
In most games I've played it usually makes life easier for the GM to use their own judgement. Just roll the dice for one attack first and see if it would fall within that range. If it is, then shield goes up. If not, then it doesn't and rinse and repeat. If the last one does hit but he doesn't particularly feel threatened by the damage potential then he might let that one hit pass. I don't want you to have to spend a week on fealing with one of my spells. Unless you're super picky about things, which never seems to work out in pbp to my experience, I'll trust you to make it make sense.

Envisioner

Explorer
OOC: Mornok is wearing leather armor, right? I don't see it on his sheet, but as far as I know everyone who isn't a barbarian or a monk has literally no reason to ever not wear it.

Rereading the Shield spell, it says that you cast it when you are "hit" by an attack, which by a strict reading would mean the +5 AC you get by casting it does nothing, but that's obviously not the intent of the spell, so I'll treat it as saying that you cast the spell when you "would be hit", which is the most generous interpretation of how long you can wait before having to make the call. If this was still 3.5 you'd be screwed lol.

Rollypop:
Kobold 1: forgot to grab the link but he rolled a 2
Kobold 2: CoyoteCode Dice Roller
Kobold 3: again forgot the link, sorry; he had a 17 and I believe a 5.
Kobold 4: the dice roller is giving me technical issues all of a sudden, so I'm fiatting this last roll as an 18 for narrative reasons.

The kobolds rush Mornok with a furious series of chopping motions, most of which hit nothing but air. All the first one manages to do with his ankle-biting is annoy the dwarf, but that's enough; a second one pounces onto his shield and scrabbles furiously for purchase, then while his shield is dragged down, a third dragon-rat scrambles up the back of the first one and launches right at Mornok's face. This in turn leaves him distracted long enough that a fourth can slip around behind him and practically crawl up his fundament. At roughly this point he intuits that he's going to need magical protection to survive unscathed; while he would probably have kept his feet after sustaining both slashes, he'd be left in seriously bad shape, and a critical hit could in theory outright kill him, so it's more prudent for him to cast his spell than to try and take a single swipe at one of his attackers.

Grimnir is up. Lyle, you come to your senses and can act right after him.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
No armor, he cast the mage armor spell before they started heading towards the keep in anticipation of having to fight some sort of trouble-making vanguard unit.

Envisioner

Explorer
No armor, he cast the mage armor spell before they started heading towards the keep in anticipation of having to fight some sort of trouble-making vanguard unit.

Your character sheet lists AC as 14. The default is 10; your Dexterity modifier of +1 adds to that, and then another +2 for the shield. Where does the last point come from, if not leather armor?

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Grimnir holds the life essence his goddess took from the drake and with that hand presses against his wounded chest. Already moving, he mutters, ”Umberlee takes, Umberlee gives,” and the wound starts healing.

Only slowing to pick up his warhammer, the priest rushes to his fellow dwarf’s aid. The hammer swings towards the nearest kobold, but his unfamiliarity with this foe makes him underestimate its reflexes and it manages to duck under what would otherwise be a lethal blow.

OOC: Bonus Action: Healing Word on me; regain 1d4+4 hp:
Healing Word: 1D4+4 = [2]+4 = 6

Move: to nearest kobold

Action: Attack with warhammer:
Warhammer:
1D20+5 = [5]+5 = 10
1D8+3 = [7]+3 = 10

HP: 9/11
Wrath of the Storm: 3/4 left before Long Rest
Spell slots (1st level): 0/2 left before Long Rest

gnarlygninja

Explorer
Lyle stops screaming, spins on his heel, and shoots into the throng of kobolds swarming Mornok. The spin carries him past the kobold he meant to aim at but a lucky stumble right as the arrow left the bow puts the arrow back in the right direction.
"This would almost be impressive if it weren't for all the screaming."

_: 1D20+6 = [1]+6 = 7
I rerolled this 1 because of Lucky

_: 1D20+6 = [6]+6 = 12
New Attack roll

_: 2D6+4 = [3, 5]+4 = 12
12 damage with sneak attack

Envisioner

Explorer
The kobolds' incessant scampering about makes it impossible for Grimnir to land a hammer blow upon anything other than the floor and walls, but Lyle's wild arrow manages to catch one of the little rascals right under the tail, spearing out its entire lower intestine and leaving it dead in a puddle of blood and reptilian excrement.

Mornok is up. Three kobolds are all still swarming all over and around him, though two of them are now also sandwiched between him and Grimnir.

Remove ads