• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Begging to be errata'd: Archer Ranger At-Wills

Nareau

Explorer
I made this spreadsheet for my TWF ranger. It compares damage of your basic attack to that of Twin Strike.

It comes down to this: Rangers almost always do more damage on average with Twin Strike.

With 1d6 Hunter's Quarry
If their extra damage from an ability score is 6 points higher than their bonus damage from other things (like feats, magic, etc), they have a small chance of doing more damage with a basic attack.

If their extra damage from an ability score is 11 points higher than their bonus damage from other things (like feats, magic, etc), they will always more damage with a basic attack.

Without Hunter's Quarry
If their extra damage from an ability score is 6 points higher than their bonus damage from other things (like feats, magic, etc), they will always more damage with a basic attack.

Hunter's Quarry helps to offset the bonus from your ability score because it's more likely to be added in: it can be added to any one attack that hits, and you've got more chances to hit.

I think my math is good--let me know if I've made a mistake somewhere!

Nareau

Attachments

• Ranger Attack Averages.xls
    19 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Soare

First Post
Hi,

Total newbie question here (only just looking start playing DnD and just getting to know the rules)

I saw a few comments about adding dex bonus to damage of a basic attack (at least I think thats what they were talking about). For instance:

The +7 damage to ranged basic is +1 bow, +1 for weapon focus feat, +5 DEX.

I thought your dex bonus only applied to your attack rolls doesn't it?
Could you let me know what I'm not understanding or maybe point me to a bit of the PHB that says about adding dex to damage (if thats the case)

Thanks a lot :)

Mad Hamish

First Post
Hi,

Total newbie question here (only just looking start playing DnD and just getting to know the rules)

I saw a few comments about adding dex bonus to damage of a basic attack (at least I think thats what they were talking about). For instance:

I thought your dex bonus only applied to your attack rolls doesn't it?
Could you let me know what I'm not understanding or maybe point me to a bit of the PHB that says about adding dex to damage (if thats the case)

Thanks a lot :)

It depends on which edition of D&D you're looking at.
In 4th ed if you're attacking using a power it says whether dex is included in damage or not.
In 3.0 or 3.5 dex wasn't included in the damage but strength was in some cases - thrown weapons, 3.5 slings iirc and heavy draw bows (up to a maximum)
In earlier editions dex definately didn't apply to ranged damage but I can't recall if str did or not.

WalterKovacs

First Post
With a basic ranged weapon attack you would go with:

To Hit: Dex Bonus + Prof Bonus + Enhancement + Misc. In this case you are including 1/2 your level in the modifier

Damage: 1[W] + Dex Modifier [this does not include 1/2 level] + Enhancement, feats, etc ...

Each power will specify what modifiers apply to it. In some cases, like the powers in this thread, they don't add the modifier to the damage. Some other powers will add other ability modifiers to damage, etc.

Page 287 of the PHB has the "basic melee attack" and "basic ranged attack" at-will power write ups.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Your analysis is far too simplistic. Indeed, most people who really crunch all the numbers find the Ranger consistently does the MOST amount of damage of all the classes at low levels with twin strike.

Yup - in the 3 different groups I have been in the Ranger outclassed everyone else for damage. It surprised the hell out of us too - we were so used to 3E Rangers that almost no one wanted to try one!

Goumindong

First Post
Why is Bow attack 1d10 +7: Can you explain this?
+2 Bow and 5 Dex? (why does a level 4 guy have a +2 bow...)

From level 2-3 you will gain one level 6 item
From level 3-4 you will gain one level 6, and one level 7 item
From level 4-5 you will gain one level 6, and one level 7, and one level 8 item.

A level 6 weapon can be +2 with no property, or +2 with a non-critical property. A level 7 and 8 weapon with both be +2 with a property.

Assuming that he is halfway between 4 and 5 he probably has had 4-5 "chances" to get a +2 bow. The ranger in the game I run has a +2 bow and is just peaking level 3[he is behind the party in levels]. Then again, i prefer to give them the essentials first and then leave the rest for "cool items" rather than making them wait a long time to get that +2 bow and having them trying to pool to purchase it.

DracoSuave

First Post
Gou's right. The level of an item is when you can start -making- the item yourself, you actually start seeing such items 4 levels earlier than that.

Soare

First Post
Thanks for the replies. It was specifically only the basic attack (melee or ranged) that I was wondering about.

Unfortunately I'm still not 100% sure :eek:

WalterKovacs said:

With a basic ranged weapon attack you would go with:

To Hit: Dex Bonus + Prof Bonus + Enhancement + Misc. In this case you are including 1/2 your level in the modifier

Damage: 1[W] + Dex Modifier [this does not include 1/2 level] + Enhancement, feats, etc ...

Sounds like from what he says there that you do get the ability modifier added to damage. Is that definitely correct?

It's just that I'm planning on playing as a warlord so I can imagine a few rounds where I might just be doing a basic attack. Would be nice if my ability modifier was added to the damage as well :)

Thanks again.

dorian_lsu

First Post
A little thing to add:

Careful strike is priceless when your normal attack can only hit on a 20.

Careful strike: 15% chance to success
Normal attack: 5% chance to success
Twin Strike: 7.25% chance to land an arrow, 2.5 % chance to land 2 arrows

=> Careful strike is better in this situation.
Very situational I have to admit, but not useless.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads