• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Begging to be errata'd: Archer Ranger At-Wills

cmbarona

First Post
Sounds like from what he says there that you do get the ability modifier added to damage. Is that definitely correct?

It's just that I'm planning on playing as a warlord so I can imagine a few rounds where I might just be doing a basic attack. Would be nice if my ability modifier was added to the damage as well :)

Thanks again.

You get ability damage as the power specifies, which Ranged Basic Attack does, so yes. Just to point it out so there's no confusion, and since we're talking about Rangers, they don't add ability damage on Twin Strike.

Soare

First Post
Thanks all. Sorry, I posted for the second time at work when I didn't have my PHB.

As you say......PHB p287 :blush:

Thanks for being polite ;)

Mad Hamish

First Post
A little thing to add:

Careful strike is priceless when your normal attack can only hit on a 20.

Careful strike: 15% chance to success
Normal attack: 5% chance to success
Twin Strike: 7.25% chance to land an arrow, 2.5 % chance to land 2 arrows

=> Careful strike is better in this situation.
Very situational I have to admit, but not useless.

Except that if you're in a battle where you only hit on a 20 you should justll just run away because you're outclassed enough hitting it 3 times in 20 rounds won't matter a damn.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
A little thing to add:

Careful strike is priceless when your normal attack can only hit on a 20.

Careful strike: 15% chance to success
Normal attack: 5% chance to success
Twin Strike: 7.25% chance to land an arrow, 2.5 % chance to land 2 arrows

=> Careful strike is better in this situation.
Very situational I have to admit, but not useless.
Nah, even then it sucks.

Twin Strike will give you two hits (rather than three) per twenty rounds, but both hits will be crits.

So you just need a weapon with the property that one crit > two regular hits. Those aren't rare -- consider how much damage the +xd6 works out to, and then consider Vicious and/or High Crit.

Cheers, -- N

That One Guy

First Post
In a House-rules thread I made on trying to make Sure Strike be less lame Nifft gave the best (and ironically first) response...
I haven't seen any implementations that don't suck, except a few which both suck as normal powers and are broken when used in corner cases (e.g. Heavy Blade Opportunity).

Here's a new idea, though:

Sure Strike -- Fighter Attack 1
At-Will • Martial, Weapon
Standard • Melee
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength +2 vs. AC
Hit: 1[w] damage.
Effect: You gain a +2 power bonus to attack rolls until the end of your next round.
Special: Increase damage to 2[w] at 21st level.

Then it would be a setup power, rather than being just a waste of a standard action.

Cheers, -- N
I think this houserule would make Sure Strike and Careful Attack much better. I think it would give them a function other than damage - landing an important hit on the following round. Landing important hits is the point of Careful/Sure, but they just don't add up well for it. Soo... thoughts?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I'd change the Effect to:

Effect: You gain a +2 power bonus to attack rolls against the target until the end of your next round.
I thought about that... but then what about minions, or nearly-dead monsters who you kill with your Sure Strike?

Cheers, -- N

Kordeth

First Post
I think I'll be going for two different fixes in my game:

- Sure Strike: +2 to hit till the end of your next turn. This makes it attractive to fighters as it means you can (effectively) OA with it without being an HBO monkey. For OAs it's pretty nice when you really need to stop that ogre from charging the wizard in the back.

- Careful Attack: I remain a fan of the +1 to all Defenses until the end of your next turn.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I thought about that... but then what about minions, or nearly-dead monsters who you kill with your Sure Strike?

Is it any different to using, say, Righteous Brand to grant someone a +3 to their next attack against the monster you just killed with Righteous Brand?

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads