• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Beguiler and Heighten Spell

afata5

First Post
How does this work?

If i'm a level 4 Gnome Beguiler, I have Heighten Spell, can I spontaniously cast my lvl 1 spell (ex: color spray) and make it a lvl 2 spell (taking the slot of a level 2 spell without advanced preperation)?

Thanks,

Al

UltimaGabe

First Post
I'm not familiar with the Beguiler's spell progression, but if you've got 2nd-level spell slots, then yes, you can use Heighten Spell to increase a 1st-level spell spontaneously to a 2nd-level spell. As such, it would use a higher DC (the save DC would be that of a 2nd-level spell, as opposed to a 1st-level spell). However, doing so would take a Full-Round Action to cast, rather than just a Standard action, since you're applying the metamagic feat on the fly.

afata5

First Post
Ahhh...ok thats the change that i didn't understand. A full round...

I was wondering then, can i cast a spell while Hiding? If i use the Conceal Spellcasting skill trick (stops people from noticing that you are casting a spell)? I am just trying to see how i can use the highten spell feat with the least chance of getting crapped on and miss my spell :)

Just wondering :)

Al

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
afata5 said:
Ahhh...ok thats the change that i didn't understand. A full round...

I was wondering then, can i cast a spell while Hiding? If i use the Conceal Spellcasting skill trick (stops people from noticing that you are casting a spell)? I am just trying to see how i can use the highten spell feat with the least chance of getting crapped on and miss my spell :)

Just wondering :)

Al

I don't see why you couldn't use the Conceal Spellcasting skill trick to cast while hiding, unless that trick requires it's own action.

udalrich

First Post
You might also be overlooking that adding metamagic on the fly is a full round action, not a full round casting time. They sound similar, but there's a big difference.

If you're casting a spell with a full round casting time (e.g., almost anybody casting Summon Monster I), you're casting until the start of your next turn. Everybody gets to attack you and interrupt your spell on their initiative, and (I think) they even get an AoO if they walk up to you.

If you're casting a spell with as a full round action (e.g., a sorcerer casting a heightened Color Spray), you're casting until the end of your turn. Unless somebody is already next to you or has a readied action, nobody is able to interrupt you. You can't do anything else on your turn except free actions or a single swift action, but it's not much of a limitation except when you need your move action.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
udalrich said:
You might also be overlooking that adding metamagic on the fly is a full round action, not a full round casting time. They sound similar, but there's a big difference.

If you're casting a spell with a full round casting time (e.g., almost anybody casting Summon Monster I), you're casting until the start of your next turn. Everybody gets to attack you and interrupt your spell on their initiative, and (I think) they even get an AoO if they walk up to you.

If you're casting a spell with as a full round action (e.g., a sorcerer casting a heightened Color Spray), you're casting until the end of your turn. Unless somebody is already next to you or has a readied action, nobody is able to interrupt you. You can't do anything else on your turn except free actions or a single swift action, but it's not much of a limitation except when you need your move action.

You can also take a 5' step.

afata5

First Post
I had misinterpretted it like a "Summon" type of spell for casting time. Thank you for the clarification! Now i'm much more happy with it....if only i knew what spells were fun to heighten (just joking :) )

Thank you very much for the education everyone :)

Al

MarkB

Legend
With several nice self-buff and party-buff spells on the Beguiler's list, you might want to look at Extend instead of / in addition to Heighten. Or you could get a Lesser Rod of Extend.

Infiniti2000

First Post
udalrich said:
... and (I think) they even get an AoO if they walk up to you.
They do not. You only provoke when you start casting, even if it took you 1 minute (e.g. break enchantment). Long casting time spells don't suck that badly. ;)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
udalrich said:

You're mostly right, but the distinction is between a "full-round action" (the shorter one which completes this round) and "1 round casting time" (which completes just before the start of your next action).

Swift < Move < Standard < Full-Round < "1 Round". :)

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads