• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Beguiler with High Intelligence

Omegaxicor

First Post
I have played with Wizards and Sorcerers before but never the Beguiler or the Warmage, he knows any spell he can cast of that level from his list, meaning that having an Intelligence of 18 at 1st level means the Beguiler has 1 spell/day for 3rd and 4th level spells, does that mean that he can actually cast any level 3 or 4 spell (obviously he only gains 1/day but still...) or does he only gain those spells/day once he levels to the point where he gets those spells by virtue of his class (6th and 9th respectively).

I am divided on what should happen since I don't think a level one Beguiler should be able to cast a 4th level spell and then level up as another class, but at the same time it is only once per day... there are oh so many ways to abuse having the ability to cast 4th level spells to open prestige classes and feats so I don't know how to rule.

please tell me I have missed something??

Nagol

Unimportant
You missed something.

"In addition to having a high ability score, a spellcaster must be of high enough class level to be able to cast spells of a given spell level."

PHB 3.5, page 7, Abilities and Spellcasters

Omegaxicor

First Post
that is placed waaay too soon in the section to be helpful :mad: :p

I did miss that entire section, since Wizards and Sorcerers learn their spells as they level and it is set in stone that they can only learn lower level spells it has never been an issue.

Thanks for your help

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads