• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Being strong and skilled is a magic of its own or, how I learned to stop worrying and love anime fightin' magic

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Now, this I think we can agree on. All the anime and supers stuff just confuses the issue. I really wish people wouldnt use them as examples. Angel Summoner and BMX bandit is the better example. How to parse caster and martial power while keeping in mind that Angel Summoner doesn't start out really being able to summon angels at all. How to put both casters and martials on the same trajectory. Also, nobody ever describes casters as having been dipped in Gods blood, or bitten by spiders, etc.. They get to just be fantasy, which is what Id like for martials too.
Nobody describes casters as having been dipped in gods blood because they use MAGIC. Magic is the key to being able to do those super grandiose things. No magic, no casters being able to do amazing stuff. For a martial to do amazing and grandiose things, something supernatural must be there or it makes no sense.

I don't have an issue with a fighter being able to cut the top off of a mountain, but don't try to tell me that there's nothing magical or supernatural about the ability to do so. He may have honed his skill to the point that it becomes supernatural, but without that supernature he's just going to break his sword on the rock if he tries.

Haplo781

Legend
Nobody describes casters as having been dipped in gods blood because they use MAGIC. Magic is the key to being able to do those super grandiose things. No magic, no casters being able to do amazing stuff. For a martial to do amazing and grandiose things, something supernatural must be there or it makes no sense.

I don't have an issue with a fighter being able to cut the top off of a mountain, but don't try to tell me that there's nothing magical or supernatural about the ability to do so. He may have honed his skill to the point that it becomes supernatural, but without that supernature he's just going to break his sword on the rock if he tries.
The entire world is magic. Arbitrarily deciding that some people (who are exceptional and heroic) have to be bound by the rules of the real world is inane.

I am fine with labeling things 'supernatural' or 'extraordinary' (I mean I like uncanny too) I think that as long as it's martial training it's fine

Haplo781

Legend
Then commoners can do all that stuff too! Who needs classes or levels?! Everyone is magic!!
Commoners don't have class levels. You can't lop the top off a mountain without training for the same reason you can't cast a fireball without training.

The world being fantastical makes these things possible, but not everyone has the talent, the dedication, or the experience to actually pull it off.

Using Orcus as a baseball bat is the D&D equivalent of swimming the English Channel.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads