• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Being strong and skilled is a magic of its own or, how I learned to stop worrying and love anime fightin' magic

Haplo781

Legend
Why are against awesome = magic? A super strong or fast fighter is supernaturally strong or fast. supernatural = magic. It doesn't have to be spells, or even shouldn't be spells, but you need to explain (IMO) why your can do the things they can do that go beyond the possibilities of the mundane world.
Fantasy worlds aren't mundane.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
RULES OF NATURE

Writing in all caps doesn't add reasonable content to the discussion.

Your argument is invalidated .

No, you choose to dismiss it without substantially addressing it.

Even in videogames, within its fiction, the character generally has a reason they can perform such feats - blood of a god, harnessing some supernatural energy source, or the like. In Metal Gear Rising: Revengence (wow, that's a goofy name), the character is a cyborg supported with nanotechnology and other super science (so, basically MAGIC). They are not a normal, run-of-the-mill person who gets into a lot of fights and somehow finds he can fling building-sized creatures around.

Haplo781

Legend
Writing in all caps doesn't add reasonable content to the discussion.

No, you choose to dismiss it without substantially addressing it.

Even in videogames, within its fiction, the character generally has a reason they can perform such feats - blood of a god, harnessing some supernatural energy source, or the like. In Metal Gear Rising: Revengence (wow, that's a goofy name), the character is a cyborg supported with nanotechnology and other super science (so, basically MAGIC). They are not a normal, run-of-the-mill person who gets into a lot of fights and somehow finds he can fling building-sized creatures around.
D&D adventurers aren't normal, run-of-the-mill people. They are exceptional.

How you're exceptional is up to you, but frankly the point is moot because as I've said repeatedly you aren't forced to engage with content.

If you want to be a glorified commoner, then just ignore all the options that make you not-a-glorified-commoner.

P.S.: RULES OF NATURE

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Where is this stated? rules of nature is not D&D material.
Well I know that (even if I don’t have a link or an image, if anyone does please post it) one of the base handbooks or guides outright states there are two types of magic, the first is the flashy wizard fireball and spell slots kind and the second is the bones of the premise of the universe kind that allows an ancient small-mountain sized dragon to exist without crumpling under its own weight despite the fact that physics shouldn’t allow that, the kind that facilitates the over the top beyond mundane stunts that the fantasy genre is built on.

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Well I know that (even if I don’t have a link or an image, if anyone does please post it) one of the base handbooks or guides outright states there are two types of magic, the first is the flashy wizard fireball and spell slots kind and the second is the bones of the premise of the universe kind that allows an ancient small-mountain sized dragon to exist without crumpling under its own weight despite the fact that physics shouldn’t allow that, the kind that facilitates the over the top beyond mundane stunts that the fantasy genre is built on.
I thought that works because PCs and monsters operate under different rules?

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
I thought that works because PCs and monsters operate under different rules?
This was in relation to the universe as a whole I believe, otherwise ‘the laws of physics just behave different for monsters’ seems like a pretty poor excuse to me for why martials don’t get to be fantastical in a fantasy universe.

Edit: or did you mean monsters/PCs operate under the same set of different rules?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Notice I said PC caster classes. Technically there are clerics, but nobody wanted to play one.
Yeah. I wasn't sure if you meant in the party or in the setting. If I were talking to someone about a new setting and I said there were not going to be any PC caster classes, it would mean in the setting. That was why I asked. :)

You can't give Steve Rogers the same narrative control. But his could be just as large within his bailiwick. His narrative control when considering leading people, for example, should far outstrip hers.
my 1st 4e game (running the adventure path that I don't think anyone liked) we had a Genesi Warlord who was the most amazing character (I could tell you 20 stores at least of amazing RP moments) but she got a shield of throwing and decided she was going to be a medieval captain America, and this was one of the things she said she wanted to do... (she was tactical but was trying to RP both her high cha and high int as both strategy and inspiring) We were both (me and her) on here and on the WotC site as long as it lasted... and we complained there should be a "Get people to fight with you" or "Call in the calvalry" type power... but we ended up even well into the NExt playtest and 5e itself never getting that power we wanted.

we did homebrew and do work arounds. (there is a 3rd party military adventure book that had mystic radio gems in it we used those to literally let players call in air strikes and back up)

Remove ads