• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Being strong and skilled is a magic of its own or, how I learned to stop worrying and love anime fightin' magic

Scribe

Legend
And yet you can flip a guy who weighs 3x as much as you over your shoulder. And you aren't as strong as a rhino.
Yes, but that's...not measure of strength, or even skill. To do it against a similarly skilled and antagonistic opponent, sure, but....the act of executing a throw or trip, is not particularly mythical.

Going for an ankle, and then heaving your 20 foot tall monstrosity opponent around and through its minions, is a whole different thing. ;)

FireLance

Legend
The traditional way in which fighters remain "non-magical" while still contributing at the same level as magic-users was for them to get magical equipment.

Picking up Orcus and bowling him into his minions gets more plausible if the fighter has a girdle of storm giant strength. BMX Bandit can close the power gap with Angel Summoner if he was riding Street Hawk (an all-terrain attack motorcycle designed to fight urban crime, capable of incredible speeds up to three hundred miles an hour, and immense firepower - from Wikipedia).

The downside to this approach is that handing out magic items has traditionally been the province of the DM (or the module, or random loot tables). Previous attempts to cede even this amount of narrative control to the players (or even to ask what the players want via wish lists) have been met with hostility. I think this point needs to be made more clearly and explicitly.

Last edited:

Haplo781

Legend
The traditional way in which fighters remain "non-magical" while still contributing at the same level as magic-users was for them to get magical equipment.

Picking up Orcus and bowling him into his minions gets more plausible if the fighter has a girdle of storm giant strength. BMX Bandit can close the power gap with Angel Summoner if he was riding Street Hawk (an all-terrain attack motorcycle designed to fight urban crime, capable of incredible speeds up to three hundred miles an hour, and immense firepower - from Wikipedia).

The downside to this approach is that handing out magic items has traditionally been the province of the DM (or the module, or random loot tables). Previous attempts to cede even this amount of narrative control to the players (or even to ask what the players want via wish lists) have been met with hostility. I think this moint needs to be made more clearly and explicitly.
Yeah, playing "DM may I" to be able to do anything fun ain't it, especially when it's only certain classes that have to do so.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Clearly you've never done judo 😛

Clearly, you are using an attempt at humor to deflect from actually dealing with the point made. Your avoidance is noted.

By the way, while shotokan was more my speed, I have done a bit of judo cross training. :p

Remove ads